There are 114 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Reality Check People

Next year? Wow some of our fans are beginning to talk like Raider fans.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
The bottom line is that this team was incredibly underprepared for this game, and was blown out early in the contest.

McCarthy made Singletary and staff look silly.

this... all to often!

I took some crap in the preseason when I said I would rather have an X and O coach than a Rah Rah coach, this is why!
All I was looking for was steady improvement from the start of the season to the end. Instead we have stagnation after their best games were played in the first three weeks.

Sorry. Not feeling very enthused right now about where this team is heading.
I actually enjoyed your post,cup half full.When our coaches realizes our strengths and head in that direction will make for good times.We will fill holes in off season and will do so because Jed York wants to make a ststement as newly in charge.He made a bold statement about playoffs and will make good if not this season next with big deals.I do think Alex will do well if coaches will help.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Originally posted by mando1988:
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by 49erfan27:
First off, this is sings first year, anyone who though we were making the playoffs is an idiot. Secondly, this is rayes first year implementing his offensive system, if teams picked up an offensive system in 1 year, Tod Haley's Chiefs would be superbowl contenders. Thirdly, Alex Smith came in halfway through the season without developing a rapport with the 1st teamers, oh and did i mention our starting receiver is a rookie. You people with your complaints of fire sing and start Nate Davis, I seriously think half the people on this board are mentally unstable, and i'm serious about that. Everybody just needs to shut up and look for constant improvement each week, which in all honesty, even it's for a half, i am seeing. We will be legit next year, we finally have franchise players we just need a year of stability. Everyone please calm down and just sit back and relax.

Mariucci made the playoffs in his 1st year. Anyone who thinks that we should wait decades every single time we hire a new coach is also an idiot.

um....i don't know if you realize this, but Mooch also had a more talented team.

Dude I was watching the 99 wild card game the other day, that was a pretty good team but it had holes, Dave Waymer? A pack of aged retreads trying yo rush the passer, Doleman? Kirk Scatford, and many more average at best players, they well coached AND well motivated, this team is neither!

yea, but the players also self coached the team. Steve young always talks about how that locker room was self regulated and the players helped keep other players in check and coached up beyond what the coaches could do.

This is something I think is missing in the team. There is no vocal leader taking the team by the reigns and putting people in line. At least from an outsiders POV.
First off, this is sings first year, anyone who though we were making the playoffs is an idiot. Secondly, this is rayes first year implementing his offensive system, if teams picked up an offensive system in 1 year, Tod Haley's Chiefs would be superbowl contenders. Thirdly, Alex Smith came in halfway through the season without developing a rapport with the 1st teamers, oh and did i mention our starting receiver is a rookie. You people with your complaints of fire sing and start Nate Davis, I seriously think half the people on this board are mentally unstable, and i'm serious about that. Everybody just needs to shut up and look for constant improvement each week, which in all honesty, even it's for a half, i am seeing. We will be legit next year, we finally have franchise players we just need a year of stability. Everyone please calm down and just sit back and relax.

Mariucci made the playoffs in his 1st year. Anyone who thinks that we should wait decades every single time we hire a new coach is also an idiot.

um....i don't know if you realize this, but Mooch also had a more talented team.

Dude I was watching the 99 wild card game the other day, that was a pretty good team but it had holes, Dave Waymer? A pack of aged retreads trying yo rush the passer, Doleman? Kirk Scatford, and many more average at best players, they were well coached AND well motivated, this team is neither!

yea, but the players also self coached the team. Steve young always talks about how that locker room was self regulated and the players helped keep other players in check and coached up beyond what the coaches could do. this shows motivation!

This is something I think is missing in the team. There is no vocal leader taking the team by the reigns and putting people in line. At least from an outsiders POV.

I agree with you something is missing.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Im pretty sick of waiting around. Unlike many of you I don't have 20 years of memories of us bashing teams to get me through this time. I never saw Montana play a single game in a Niners uni and I was only in the states to watch Young in 97 and 98 before the Williams hit in 99 (which, of course, I was fortunate enough to witness). Despite all of this I'm still the biggest Niners fan I've ever met (Esco being the only other Niner fan I've ever met who I feel is as big of a fan as I am)

So all this losing week in and week out, year in and year out is starting to really piss me off. I've been hearing "wait till next year" for a while now and I have no reason to believe we'll be any better next year.

I'm sick of falling for it and I'm really sick of losing game after game that, if our coaches would just act like they are actually professional football coaches, we would win.

So here's my reality check: In my time of watching the Niners, this team has been nothing but a loser who has had a couple playoff years and it's bout time for me come to grips with that instead of me telling myself "at least we used to be dominant" for a time I never even got to witness.

I'm angry.
  • jerryricefan80
  • Info N/A

Yeah I think Singletary did say we are a playoff team. So, you are in your own paradox. I don't see the constant improvement. I mean, we won some games, then went on a losing streak. Aren't wins the ultimate measure of success? Plus, the defense continues to get worse. And that win against Chicago was ugly, should have been a blowout with 5 turnovers so the O isn't much better. Just saying.
  • B650
  • Veteran

Dude I was watching the 99 wild card game the other day, that was a pretty good team but it had holes, Dave Waymer? A pack of aged retreads trying yo rush the passer, Doleman? Kirk Scatford, and many more average at best players, they were well coached AND well motivated, this team is neither!

yea, but the players also self coached the team. Steve young always talks about how that locker room was self regulated and the players helped keep other players in check and coached up beyond what the coaches could do. this shows motivation!

I agree with you something is missing.

I realize that Mariucci had a much more talented team. He was still a rookie HC though, right? I just don't buy the excuse that Singletary is a rookie HC so that means we shouldn't expect to make it to the playoffs. The reason he was hired was to get to the playoffs THIS season. Why do you think York said, "This is the last time our season ends in December?" Is he an idiot too? A lot of us were hoping to make the playoffs this season, but right now, it doesn't seem very likely. I'm just tired of excuses. Singletary is a rookie HC. Raye only falls asleep during practice, not in real games. Reggie Smith is young. Shaun Hill has a great arm, but he's just saving it for when he's in his 30s. The team is young. The refs choked. The weather was too cold. Nedney's big toe was sore...when does it ever end?

We hired Singletary to get to the playoffs, and as a result of that hiring, we ended up 4-6 with Jimmy Raye as our OC. If we don't finish .500 this season, I wouldn't mind if we cut our losses and started over with some real coaches.
Originally posted by Antix:
Im pretty sick of waiting around. Unlike many of you I don't have 20 years of memories of us bashing teams to get me through this time. I never saw Montana play a single game in a Niners uni and I was only in the states to watch Young in 97 and 98 before the Williams hit in 99 (which, of course, I was fortunate enough to witness). Despite all of this I'm still the biggest Niners fan I've ever met (Esco being the only other Niner fan I've ever met who I feel is as big of a fan as I am)

So all this losing week in and week out, year in and year out is starting to really piss me off. I've been hearing "wait till next year" for a while now and I have no reason to believe we'll be any better next year.

I'm sick of falling for it and I'm really sick of losing game after game that, if our coaches would just act like they are actually professional football coaches, we would win.

So here's my reality check: In my time of watching the Niners, this team has been nothing but a loser who has had a couple playoff years and it's bout time for me come to grips with that instead of me telling myself "at least we used to be dominant" for a time I never even got to witness.

I'm angry.

I'm older & have seen all thos egreat years, but I feel exactly the same as you. They have sucked for too long now to be pulling out the, "just another year, and you will see" card. People have been saying that this whole decade. It is nauseating at this point, because it is just total BS now.
The only idiots are some of the clowns who start some of these posts. Really, we should be patient after 9 years of sucking? Just plain silly.

Our QB sucks a**. Ask Young, Rice or almost anyone not affiliated with this board (listen to Sirius once in a while). Do you want Jake Dehlomme? 'Cause that is what you have. Smith will never win anything of significance.

Here is another one. WE WILL draft a QB with one of our first three picks.

Go Niners...but we suck right now. That is just the cold hard facts.
Singletary might be a first year coach, but this regime is on year 5 now. You know the year we were supposed to be a Super Bowl contender.

It might be unfair to tie Singletary to Nolan's regime, but it is what is. Singletary is just an extension to Nolan-McCoughlan.

Sings first year is no excuse. There really hasn't been a game on the schedule we shouldn't have won. Up to this point he has shown he is too conservative, a poor game manager, and offensively challenged. He is a defensive minded coach that wants to win by a point or two. He is way too direct and unfortunately when you are that way everyone knows what is coming. Look at our offense. I know exactly what we're going to do and if I know its a definite our opponents do too.

I think Jimmy Raye sucks but not for the reason you guys do. You guys think he sucks because he has no imagination and the in game calling is terrible. I do not know if I can agree with that because once again he is doing what Sing wants. Honestly, we don't know what goes on behind closed doors. I think Jimmy Raye sucks for this reason: we had a long time to prepare for the Packer and the Texans and in both games the total first half score was 40 something to 6 I think. That is BAD.

Starting Nate Davis is the dumbest idea I've ever heard. Who says that? Seriously?

I do want to see improvement. We won't get it on the OLine and on defense I want to see better zone reads out of Goldson(by my count he missed or was late on 11 easy reads Sunday). Lewis is great but he is such a liability in coverage. Twice on 3rd down, once when we could have stopped them at the end, he didn't pick up his guy quick enough. The tight end caught the ball on 3rd and 3 as the outlet and the niners did not get back on the field. You HAVE to make that play and it's an EASY play to make.

My main focus is I want to see if the coaching improves. We need improvement on their side more than any.
I believe that both Mike Singletary AND Jed York vowed at the end of last season that we would be returning to the playoffs. Anybody forget that little pep talk at the end of the Redskins game last year?

I do. I sat with thousands of fans in the Candlemistake Parking Lot and listened while the powers that be promised that "this" would be our year.

I don't want to hear this vile "next year" CR@P. Because that's exactly what it is. Vile Shyte!
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Singletary might be a first year coach, but this regime is on year 5 now. You know the year we were supposed to be a Super Bowl contender.

It might be unfair to tie Singletary to Nolan's regime, but it is what is. Singletary is just an extension to Nolan-McCoughlan.

True