There are 199 users in the forums

WHY HATE ON ALEX??

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ninerfreak:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by backontop:
I hope Sing and Raye see whats going on and open up the playbook to fit alex smith....it's starting to look that the more they hand the team to smith the more he gets better....they need to free him more no more 7 pass attempts in an entire half only to have him go gunslinger in the second half games....

FREE ALEX SMITH play to his style GD!!!!!!! guy can play and score

I think it is funny how only the smart posters actually get this while the rest just keep blaming Smith for everything that goes wrong in the world. A little boy died in Africa after beeing attacked by a Lion and it was clearly Alex Smith's fault

Its also interesting that these same guys are SO for Nate Davis coming in, yet when something is working RIGHT IN FRONT of them (such as our offense operating out of a spread) that suggestion is ignored.

It makes more sense to OPEN UP THE OFFENSE before plugging in Nate Davis. Now if Alex sucks in the spread then fine...Nate Davis time. But why not try the spread/shotgun first...?

exactly...now it's obvious that when they turn to that offense....the funny thing is that it starts clicking and behold the scoring begins....i'm no expert but the answer might be right in front of us, maybe time to forget the whole smashmouth type of team and go with the weapons the team has VD crabtree and gore....passing will open up the running game and give more breathing room for gore to run as well so maybe they're looking at the gameplans the wrong way...

Smith haters will never see that. All they see is Smith getting sacked and Smith throwing the ball VD not(ducking the pass when he clearly did) and being intercepted. It is sad really. Their hatred for Smith blinds them from the game.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
I hope Sing and Raye see whats going on and open up the playbook to fit alex smith....it's starting to look that the more they hand the team to smith the more he gets better....they need to free him more no more 7 pass attempts in an entire half only to have him go gunslinger in the second half games....

I think it is funny how only the smart posters actually get this while the rest just keep blaming Smith for everything that goes wrong in the world. A little boy died in Africa after beeing attacked by a Lion and it was clearly Alex Smith's fault

Yes, the prerequisite for intelligence is agreeing with hyperbole. The rest of us are dumb.

I never said dumb, that was you. I like to believe the other posters are just blind

You said "I think it is funny how only the smart posters actually get his", so by process of elimination, those who disagree with your are either of average intelligence or stupid.

stop trying to make this a personal attack so you can run to the mods and cry. It is pretty clear that the ones that are calling for Smith's head are blind and have no clue what they are talking about.

I have no need or plans on running to mods. You're the one who's been quite sensitive on this board in the past, not me. I was merely pointing out that you were tying someone's intelligence level with whether or not they agree with you, which is an invalid point on a subjective matter.
  • Montanilow
  • Info N/A
Such a pointless argument... these two could not be the backup for most teams let alone the starter (except the raiders I guess, and possibly the browns)

Yes, the prerequisite for intelligence is agreeing with hyperbole. The rest of us are dumb.

I never said dumb, that was you. I like to believe the other posters are just blind

You said "I think it is funny how only the smart posters actually get his", so by process of elimination, those who disagree with your are either of average intelligence or stupid.

stop trying to make this a personal attack so you can run to the mods and cry. It is pretty clear that the ones that are calling for Smith's head are blind and have no clue what they are talking about.

I have no need or plans on running to mods. You're the one who's been quite sensitive on this board in the past, not me. I was merely pointing out that you were tying someone's intelligence level with whether or not they agree with you, which is an invalid point on a subjective matter.

well if you are blind to reality then how can you be knowledgeable about the subject? You can be a damn rocket scientist but if you are blinded to the real situation going on by your pure hatred for Smith then yes, I am smarter than you in the subject. I have never said that Smith is a great QB or that he will be a great QB. What i have said is the jury is still out on this one until the team starts playing towards his strengths.
Originally posted by taney71:
Originally posted by boomer49er:
When a person has a very limited understanding of the game they always blame the QB, when they start doing things like naming records for QBs like they are starting pitchers you know you should just end the debate.

IF you replace Smith you make them happy but you don't solve the problem and by the time next season is half over the same bunch will be yelling "TRADE BRADFORD!!!!" or whatever the case may be.

QB isn't the only problem, boomer, but it is definitely A problem. Do you see the mechanics and pocket presence out of Smith that would translate to a successful QB under different circumstances? The fact that he is wholly unproductive unless we're down by 20 and running a spread offense (which will be schemed against very soon) tells me that we can't achieve sustainable success with him.

That's just crazy. You weren't watching the same game I was. He was getting pressured left and right. He'd drop back and have a defender in his face. The oline is the problem here.

The O-Line is definitely a problem that needs to be addressed. However, QB pressures and sacks are something that every QB has to face to a certain extent. The good ones are able to make plays despite pressure on a fairly regular basis.

Rodgers is a perfect example of this. He's been sacked more than anyone else in the league, yet has been productive despite this fact. If Smith is only capable of being successful when his jersey stays clean, we don't have a very good QB.

He has also had Donald Drive and Greg Jennings as his receivers and a guy who was a very respected O-coordinator as his head coach.
Originally posted by taney71:
Originally posted by boomer49er:
When a person has a very limited understanding of the game they always blame the QB, when they start doing things like naming records for QBs like they are starting pitchers you know you should just end the debate.

IF you replace Smith you make them happy but you don't solve the problem and by the time next season is half over the same bunch will be yelling "TRADE BRADFORD!!!!" or whatever the case may be.

QB isn't the only problem, boomer, but it is definitely A problem. Do you see the mechanics and pocket presence out of Smith that would translate to a successful QB under different circumstances? The fact that he is wholly unproductive unless we're down by 20 and running a spread offense (which will be schemed against very soon) tells me that we can't achieve sustainable success with him.

That's just crazy. You weren't watching the same game I was. He was getting pressured left and right. He'd drop back and have a defender in his face. The oline is the problem here.

Tom brady would look like alex smith in the same team here.....no help up front.

In the Super Bowl against the Giants Brady was under more pressure than I had ever seen him under before. He didn't look like Tom Brady in that game.
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Originally posted by tmg808:
First of all Alex Smith is having a better season the Shaun Hill!!
In exactly the same amount of attempts and about the same amount of playing time.
Alex Smith 1035yds Hill 808
Smith 9 TD Hill 5TD
Smith 13 times sacked Hill 18 times

So there is no reason to go back to Shaun Hill which so many people are ok with.
Looking forward if Alex continues to progress from what he is doing now, I think there are bigger problems that need to be addressed on the team. This year might not be the year the 49ers go to the playoffs but you have to build on something, there is no reason to keep on rebuilding and starting from stratch

Let's see some other stats...

Ints: Smith 7 to Hill 2
Record: Smith 1-3 to Hill 3-3, because the W is all that really matters...

Let's also look at the simple fact that Smith has just as many attempts in 4.5 games, as Hill had in 5.5 games, showing an obvious change of plays from running to passing.

Oh, and one more thing, how have our 3rd down conversion % changed? They haven't, we might even be worse...

our?,we?

"might even be worse" -either it is or it isn't

Oh,you forgot to mention 1st downs,yardage and td's have much improved with Smith playing except for the int's.

Shaun Hill was a mystery to opposing teams coming into the season,looking back at his last 2 games(ATL,HOU) the mystery has clearly been solved.
Originally posted by genus49:
People hate on Alex Smith because he was a #1 overall pick and people feel like it was actually their money that was spent on his large contract.

They take it pesonally and completely look past the fact that Alex was not NFL ready when he was drafted and was thrown to the wolves on a TERRIBLE team.

Given what we had on offense he actually had a decent sophmore season but after Turner left we pretty much ruined the guy. He was never the same after his shoulder injury and people expected him to play well even tho he was playing with a grade 3 shoulder seperation.

Alex may never be worth that #1 pick and at the time I didn't want him or Rodgers for that matter.

This.

This team since Nolan was coach has been putting in a square peg into a round hole on offense. Both Nolan and Sing want a ball control offense - and yet we select a gimmick offense QB who works best out of the shotgun formation.

I like Alex. He's a good kid. He's been busting his ass to improve and help this team win. There is absolutely 0 reason to hate him. You may not like the way he plays the game but to hate him is just dumb when he's doing his best.

Until the coaches figure out that this team isn't set up to be a ball control offense right now and will never be until this offensive line gets fixed, whichever QB goes out there will look terrible.

Be it Alex Smith, Nate Davis or a first round rook. The offensive line needs to get fixed and the playcalling needs to play into our teams strengths. Not bang our head against the wall.
Taking bets on how long until Norwalks_Finest and weneedanewqb get in here.
Why the hate?

Not that I agree with it, but $50+ Million for a 1st rounder that hasn't yet panned out has a way of bringing the jealousy out in a fan.

Now multiply that a billion times 2 HoF QBs' who never made that much their entire careers with this team?

Yup I can see how that can inspire hatred.

~Ceadder

jimmy raye needs to start off by throwing some quick routes to get smiths confidence up at the beginning of the game he should come out attacking the defense instead of being conservative. but smith is still showing some promise we just need our o-line to play better
Has Smith ever played a game without having a turnover
Hate will always be on Alexandra until he Wins. Wins curs all but until he cant Win in a consistent basis he will always be the blame for the 49ers because the QB's have that responsibility.

Ask all the NFL QB Great's!
Originally posted by lamontb:
Has Smith ever played a game without having a turnover

your right we should clearly start Hill or Davis
Originally posted by TDilvr:
Originally posted by genus49:
People hate on Alex Smith because he was a #1 overall pick and people feel like it was actually their money that was spent on his large contract.

They take it pesonally and completely look past the fact that Alex was not NFL ready when he was drafted and was thrown to the wolves on a TERRIBLE team.

Given what we had on offense he actually had a decent sophmore season but after Turner left we pretty much ruined the guy. He was never the same after his shoulder injury and people expected him to play well even tho he was playing with a grade 3 shoulder seperation.

Alex may never be worth that #1 pick and at the time I didn't want him or Rodgers for that matter.

This.

This team since Nolan was coach has been putting in a square peg into a round hole on offense. Both Nolan and Sing want a ball control offense - and yet we select a gimmick offense QB who works best out of the shotgun formation.

I like Alex. He's a good kid. He's been busting his ass to improve and help this team win. There is absolutely 0 reason to hate him. You may not like the way he plays the game but to hate him is just dumb when he's doing his best.

Until the coaches figure out that this team isn't set up to be a ball control offense right now and will never be until this offensive line gets fixed, whichever QB goes out there will look terrible.

Be it Alex Smith, Nate Davis or a first round rook. The offensive line needs to get fixed and the playcalling needs to play into our teams strengths. Not bang our head against the wall.

I agree and yet disagree.

How so? Well if the Offensive personnel were used properly this could be a HELL of a ball control team.

Properly is coming right out and punchin the other team in the mouth with the pass. When they adjust to that(and they will) then hit em with a well timed delay and a screen. Not necessarily in that order but go to your strengths when they do adjust to it. 40 yards on one Delay today shows that is the recipe for success. Show screen and go delay. Show Run go Pass or Run and show Delay go Screen or Air it out. That is ball control.

Run Run Run is NOT and NEVER was Ball control so far as I a concerned.

~Ceadder
Share 49ersWebzone