LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 386 users in the forums

Did Sing/McCloughan Plan This?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The personnel changes this season seem to have a common pattern - suggesting a "planned" transition year for this team. Although no management team (Coach, GM, and Owner) could ever declare it publicly, it seems that the transition of personnel this year was at least given some fore-thought.

This also seems to fit with Sing's philosophy that there "are no rookies after training camp" - he doesn't wait for players to develop in practice like Nola - if they are supposed to be starters he gets them game experience and pressures them to perform now (although he has taken a different plan with Smith).

HILL to SMITH - it makes a lot of sense to start the more experienced or "heady" player at the start of the season to give the team the best chance to win early, but also to give Smith more time to get comfortable with the offense. Maybe this transition occurred a bit earlier than they planned, but there is a clear effort to bring Smith along slowly and build his confidence as if that was the plan all along.

RECEIVERS - Finding the starters among a young group. Season starts with their reliable starters Bruce, Battle, and Morgan filling it out. Bruce and Battle being phased out for more young talent. The wild card is Jones.

RUNNING BACK - They brought Coffee along pretty quickly, Robinson's time diminished.

DEFENSE - He put Spencer in over Bly, and was declaring that Tarrell Brown was starter caliber early. As soon as Clements was struggling and the season had progressed a bit, Brown got his chance.

Do you think it was an underlying plan or just coincidence??
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
I don't think it was a plan.

Crabtree is obviously the best WR on the roster.

Hill struggled, and the offense struggled as well. Change was needed, and here comes Smith.

I think the reason why Raye isn't firing on all cylinders is because our team is so young, and we have a lot of 2nd stringers that haven't grasped the full playbook yet - perhaps even our young WRs and QB.

If Plan A doesn't work, you go to Plan B. I don't think its intentional, but rather a contingency plan.
  • TDking876
  • Info N/A
Sing is doing his job the way it should be done. The best players play!!!!!! NO BS ABOUT BIG CONTRACTS!!!! HE WANTS WINNERS!!!!!
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GEEK:

+1

Our O right now is in absolute chaos...and it shows inexperience on the part of our HC.

Hill struggled, and the offense struggled as well. Change was needed, and here comes Smith.

I think the reason why Raye isn't firing on all cylinders is because our team is so young, and we have a lot of 2nd stringers that haven't grasped the full playbook yet - perhaps even our young WRs and QB.

If Plan A doesn't work, you go to Plan B. I don't think its intentional, but rather a contingency plan.

this
There were a few posters or should I say identities that said alex would come in mid season. Some of us said this before the QB competition was decided. I am surprised at the drop off of bruce. I did not expect bruce to take a back seat.
Singletary is a pragmatic coach. If something isn't working, he's willing to make changes.
  • EdEs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fzrdave:
Singletary is a pragmatic coach. If something isn't working, he's willing to make changes.

this
To be honest I do think that the Hill to Smith transition was bound to happen, because the organization still had some belief in Smith and wanted to see what they had before his contract ran out so they could either extend him if he played well or move on if he didn't.

Aside from that, the man just isn't afraid to make changes when things aren't working.

Good post GEEK, my feeling exactly. Necessity more than planning is why we are where we are.

• smileyman
  • Info N/A
I dunno. But it's kind of odd that for a team that was supposed to be run first we were so stacked at WR. We've got Bruce, Battle, Morgan, Hill, Jones, and now Crabtree. At RB we've got Gore, Coffee, and M-Rob.

Just a little strange that we would have so many receivers on a team that was supposed to be run oriented.
If McCloughan and a good thing can be used in the same sentence, it can only be luck!
Originally posted by TDking876:
Sing is doing his job the way it should be done. The best players play!!!!!! NO BS ABOUT BIG CONTRACTS!!!! HE WANTS WINNERS!!!!!

exactly
They have no plan. Just 2 idiots making it up as they go along. And hoping that a lot of the fan base is fooled by their antics. From the looks of these posts it appears a lot of people are fooled. So it is indeed working for them.

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
They have no plan. Just 2 idiots making it up as they go along. And hoping that a lot of the fan base is fooled by their antics. From the looks of these posts it appears a lot of people are fooled. So it is indeed working for them.

I'm not fooled.

However,

I don't know what I'm supposed to do

But if Sing feels bad

then I do too

I don't know what I'm supposed to do

so I sit down

and I cry too

[ Edited by posterX on Nov 15, 2009 at 10:51:32 ]
Share 49ersWebzone