LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 153 users in the forums

The Interception wasn't anybody's fault

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:
I wonder how many of Cutler's fans are making excuses for him now? Just as Alex fans makes excuses for his screw ups!

Of course it's not Jay's fault! His receivers should have been in the position to catch all his passes and his offensive line sucks ... etc. etc. etc.

Sounds familiar?

Well, how come he looked a lot better last year? Better coaching? Better WRs? Better OL?

See the connection? The "excuses" are valid reasons.
Originally posted by B650:
I wonder how many of Cutler's fans are making excuses for him now? Just as Alex fans makes excuses for his screw ups!

Of course it's not Jay's fault! His receivers should have been in the position to catch all his passes and his offensive line sucks ... etc. etc. etc.

Sounds familiar?

Well, how come he looked a lot better last year? Better coaching? Better WRs? Better OL?

Better on all of those and yes those matter.

Sounds familiar?

Of Course it will NEVER be Jay's fault just as it will NEVER be Alex's fault! They could throw the ball directly to a defender with no one pressuring them and we would still hear excuses as to why it's NOT their fault!

To their fans, they're SAINTS that walk on water!

Sounds familiar?

Of Course it will NEVER be Jay's fault just as it will NEVER be Alex's fault! They could throw the ball directly to a defender with no one pressuring them and we would still hear excuses as to why it's NOT their fault!

Why do you want to create subgroups of fans? If Smith is our starting quarterback, I'm a fan of him. If Hill is, I'm a fan of him.

Sure beats RAWRWARWRWAWRWARABBLERABBLERABBLE Smith sucks and all "their" fans are idiots

[ Edited by showtime49 on Nov 13, 2009 at 00:30:18 ]
  • B650
  • Veteran

Sounds familiar?

Those are dumb fans if they think that way. Some of Cutler's INTs are his fault and some of Smith's INTs are his fault. You can't blame every single INT on the QB though. On the one side, you have guys who blame everything on the QB. On the other side, you have guys who NEVER blame anything on the QB and keep making excuses.

I try to take a more realistic approach: actually analyze the play and see what happened.

[ Edited by B650 on Nov 13, 2009 at 00:31:13 ]
I have been a 49er's fan since the Y. A. Title days and yes I was a big fan of Brodie, Y. A. , Jimmy Plunkett, Joe Montana and Steve Young just to name a few.

But when they screwed up, I call them as I see them... they SCREWED UP!

I don't try to blame their failures on everybody else!
You and I both go back a long way (Tittle)...and I agree, the QB should take responsibility, for the most part. You have to find ways to make plays...sure, a better OL would help, but you have to make things happen. I remember when we used to play Dallas...our DL used to pound the crap out of Aikman...but he always got up and made plays. We don't have anyone like that now...and it's contributing to our offensive stagnancy. Our offense is hum-drum, and until it isn't, we'll continue to struggle.
It was Alex's fault. He has to look off the safety in that situation. Regardless, I liked the play.
The ball was underthrown, it was all Alex' fault. Quit making excuses for our pathetic QB.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by crzy:
That was just a great play by the defensive back. Alex threw it to Crabtree's outside shoulder and the DB played the outside because he had safety help on Crabtree's inside shoulder.

Alex saw the safety help and tried to throw the outside pattern, but he should have thrown it to the inside because Crabtree had a step and the safety was too far away to make a difference.

I don't mind that interception. I like the fact that we actually ATTEMPTED a deep pass. But of course, once the interception happened, our balls shriveled up and we went back to a conservative gameplan.

I agree

Crabtree stumbled lost his balance and had zero opportunity to jump for the ball. As Crabs was falling down the DB jumped and made the play. Could Crabs have jumped and caught it had he kept his balance or at least knock it down sure could Alex have thrown a better pass sure. Just one of those plays at least Alex didn’t have 5 of those plays like Cutler

• 9ermj
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Method:
can't believe we didn't even try passing again after one f**king interception. our offensive play calling is such a joke.

What worries me is that Sing and Raye are going to use this as proof this BS actually works ,they tried to open it up and all we got were losses, no we get a one point lead and hang to victory what a joke, that was very hard to watch
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
can't believe we didn't even try passing again after one f**king interception. our offensive play calling is such a joke.

The 9ers ran 35 plays after Smith’s INT

20 runs 15 pass plays

9 of the runs during a drive that killed 6:07 off the clock

Try again
I'll chalk that INT up to miscommunication. But I'm not sure who's exactly at fault. It could be that Crabs ran the wrong route, or Smith just under threw the ball.

You guys shouldn't forget that our Offense is still young, and players (especially Crabs) are still learning the system. Mistakes are going to happen. So long as we continue to improve on our performance each week -- and it's starting to look that way, then I'm happy.
Originally posted by Joecool:

We should have tried another deep one because Crabs had a step on that one that was INTd.

I think Alex wanted to go deep more to Crabs, but our play calling wasn't allowing him to.

First pass of the game was a pretty damn good throw Crab's almost got. Should have gone deep a couple more times.

I think we can all agree that Jimmy Raye doesn't watch the game.

We never actually want to WIN the game... 3rd and 8- of course we're going to run a draw or screen, why would we actually run a pass play that has a few routes that go beyond the first down marker?..... the 3rd and 12 screen pass to crabtree was a great example... ACTUALLY HAVE FAITH AND RUN A REAL PASS PLAY ON 3RD AND LONG LIKE THE REST OF THE LEAUGE... this offense never get a chance to show what they can actually do
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by JoeO321:

We should have tried another deep one because Crabs had a step on that one that was INTd.

I think Alex wanted to go deep more to Crabs, but our play calling wasn't allowing him to.

First pass of the game was a pretty damn good throw Crab's almost got. Should have gone deep a couple more times.

I think we can all agree that Jimmy Raye doesn't watch the game.

We never actually want to WIN the game... 3rd and 8- of course we're going to run a draw or screen, why would we actually run a pass play that has a few routes that go beyond the first down marker?..... the 3rd and 12 screen pass to crabtree was a great example... ACTUALLY HAVE FAITH AND RUN A REAL PASS PLAY ON 3RD AND LONG LIKE THE REST OF THE LEAUGE... this offense never get a chance to show what they can actually do

Before the last offensive possession they ran 12 pass plays and 11 run plays

In 3rd and long situations the D knows you are passing it’s easy for them to cover the WR especially when the 9ers OL was only giving Smith about 2 sec to thrown the ball it’s impossible for the WR to get open downfield in 2 sec that’s why you have to run other plays and hope for a big gain

Like the Bears did on 3 or 4 screen passes that gained about 30 yards each time.
Share 49ersWebzone