There are 127 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Interception wasn't anybody's fault

  • crzy
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 39,280
Originally posted by B650:
It was Crabtree's fault. Had he been in camp on time, he makes that catch.

Even veteran NFL receivers run the wrong routes sometimes.

And the DB was playing such great coverage, that even if Crabtree turned to the outside, he probably wouldn't have caught it...but he could have knocked it down to avoid the pick.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Method:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Method:
can't believe we didn't even try passing again after one f**king interception. our offensive play calling is such a joke.

We should have tried another deep one because Crabs had a step on that one that was INTd.

I think Alex wanted to go deep more to Crabs, but our play calling wasn't allowing him to.

First pass of the game was a pretty damn good throw Crab's almost got. Should have gone deep a couple more times.

I think we can all agree that Jimmy Raye doesn't watch the game.

Yea. lol seriously. Crabs was getting the separation he needed and Alex seemed to want to get him the ball.... uh where's the disconnect here?
Originally posted by znk916:
11-5

dont get ahead of yourself
Originally posted by Method:
can't believe we didn't even try passing again after one f**king interception. our offensive play calling is such a joke.

Raye probably got too scared to call pass plays just watching Cutler.
Originally posted by nvchamp9ers:
Originally posted by Thizz415:
That INT was more on Alex. He should have put it in the inside of crabtree were he can make a play not on the outside were the DB had the leverage.

Watch the NFL or even college a little more Cover 3 dictates a backshoulder throw.

just because it indicates that doesn't mean it should always be thrown on the outside. IMO crabtree had a better chance of making a play if that throw was more to his inside than backshoulder were the DB on that play had the outside covered well. That is why im saying it is more on alex than crabtree and i don't mean that like alex made a horrible mistake but i feel like that throw would have had a better chance on that play if it had gone to the inside of crabtree instead of the outside. Im going to look at that play tomorrow to see it more because i though there was more of a chance of making a play with a throw on the inside than outside.
  • crzy
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 39,280
Originally posted by Thizz415:
Originally posted by nvchamp9ers:
Originally posted by Thizz415:
That INT was more on Alex. He should have put it in the inside of crabtree were he can make a play not on the outside were the DB had the leverage.

Watch the NFL or even college a little more Cover 3 dictates a backshoulder throw.

just because it indicates that doesn't mean it should always be thrown on the outside. IMO crabtree had a better chance of making a play if that throw was more to his inside than backshoulder were the DB on that play had the outside covered well. That is why im saying it is more on alex than crabtree and i don't mean that like alex made a horrible mistake but i feel like that throw would have had a better chance on that play if it had gone to the inside of crabtree instead of the outside. Im going to look at that play tomorrow to see it more because i though there was more of a chance of making a play with a throw on the inside than outside.

I hope someone can find screenshots.
Originally posted by Thizz415:
Originally posted by nvchamp9ers:
Originally posted by Thizz415:
That INT was more on Alex. He should have put it in the inside of crabtree were he can make a play not on the outside were the DB had the leverage.

Watch the NFL or even college a little more Cover 3 dictates a backshoulder throw.

just because it indicates that doesn't mean it should always be thrown on the outside. IMO crabtree had a better chance of making a play if that throw was more to his inside than backshoulder were the DB on that play had the outside covered well. That is why im saying it is more on alex than crabtree and i don't mean that like alex made a horrible mistake but i feel like that throw would have had a better chance on that play if it had gone to the inside of crabtree instead of the outside. Im going to look at that play tomorrow to see it more because i though there was more of a chance of making a play with a throw on the inside than outside.

CB was holding Outside leverage(as expected) and Safety held top and Inside(as expected) that coverage dictated a backshoulder throw it was the open spot and th slip is what causes the pick.
  • crzy
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 39,280
Originally posted by nvchamp9ers:
Originally posted by Thizz415:
Originally posted by nvchamp9ers:
Originally posted by Thizz415:
That INT was more on Alex. He should have put it in the inside of crabtree were he can make a play not on the outside were the DB had the leverage.

Watch the NFL or even college a little more Cover 3 dictates a backshoulder throw.

just because it indicates that doesn't mean it should always be thrown on the outside. IMO crabtree had a better chance of making a play if that throw was more to his inside than backshoulder were the DB on that play had the outside covered well. That is why im saying it is more on alex than crabtree and i don't mean that like alex made a horrible mistake but i feel like that throw would have had a better chance on that play if it had gone to the inside of crabtree instead of the outside. Im going to look at that play tomorrow to see it more because i though there was more of a chance of making a play with a throw on the inside than outside.

CB was holding Outside leverage(as expected) and Safety held top and Inside(as expected) that coverage dictated a backshoulder throw it was the open spot and th slip is what causes the pick.

Safety was too far away. Alex could have fit the ball on the inside.
Originally posted by crzy:
That was just a great play by the defensive back. Alex threw it to Crabtree's outside shoulder and the DB played the outside because he had safety help on Crabtree's inside shoulder.

Alex saw the safety help and tried to throw the outside pattern, but he should have thrown it to the inside because Crabtree had a step and the safety was too far away to make a difference.

I don't mind that interception. I like the fact that we actually ATTEMPTED a deep pass. But of course, once the interception happened, our balls shriveled up and we went back to a conservative gameplan.

Wow...I cant believe YOU are posting this.




That said, I agree but man..we really need to get a handle on this. Ive said it before and I'll say it again...this will happen every single game if Alex and co dont get enough reps as far as the passing game. When Smith gets into rhythm and we spread out...we're unstoppable. As soon as we shrivel up like you said and force Alex into 7 step drops, I form, go for broke on 3rd and long when the defense expects it...the chance for Alex to make mistakes goes up dramatically. Couple this with our porous o-line...I dont care who's back there throwing...nothing good will happen.

Look how well Gore ran when our offense was spread out.
  • crzy
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 39,280
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by crzy:
That was just a great play by the defensive back. Alex threw it to Crabtree's outside shoulder and the DB played the outside because he had safety help on Crabtree's inside shoulder.

Alex saw the safety help and tried to throw the outside pattern, but he should have thrown it to the inside because Crabtree had a step and the safety was too far away to make a difference.

I don't mind that interception. I like the fact that we actually ATTEMPTED a deep pass. But of course, once the interception happened, our balls shriveled up and we went back to a conservative gameplan.

Wow...I cant believe YOU are posting this.




That said, I agree but man..we really need to get a handle on this. Ive said it before and I'll say it again...this will happen every single game if Alex and co dont get enough reps as far as the passing game. When Smith gets into rhythm and we spread out...we're unstoppable. As soon as we shrivel up like you said and force Alex into 7 step drops, I form, go for broke on 3rd and long when the defense expects it...the chance for Alex to make mistakes goes up dramatically. Couple this with our porous o-line...I dont care who's back there throwing...nothing good will happen.

Look how well Gore ran when our offense was spread out.


I still don't think very highly of Smith, but with Crabtree and Vernon, we should be throwing deep several times per game.
One of the commentators was talking about our offense after the game and started saying something about the effects of having a short week but I didn't pay attention. Then I started thinking about the changes we have had to our offense and there have been quite a few recently. I'm hoping that our offense has sucked as of late because they're still trying to develop chemistry with Alex and Raye is trying to figure out what to do with him. I think that's why Smith and Crabtree stayed after practice to get more work in because they're lacking more chemistry.
Originally posted by teeohh:
One of the commentators was talking about our offense after the game and started saying something about the effects of having a short week but I didn't pay attention. Then I started thinking about the changes we have had to our offense and there have been quite a few recently. I'm hoping that our offense has sucked as of late because they're still trying to develop chemistry with Alex and Raye is trying to figure out what to do with him. I think that's why Smith and Crabtree stayed after practice to get more work in because they're lacking more chemistry.

Ive been saying this too. It makes sense. We change two extremely important positions literally overnight...we are going to struggle. Then we lose our starting RT and LT. We are going to struggle.

Thats why its mind boggling to me that think Alex Smith is the main problem.


Now that said, Smith needs to figure out a way (or Raye needs to figure out a way) to be the solution in games. Right now he's not a game killer but hes not a game winner either. He did just enough tonight. But we're not going to play the Bears every week. Smith NEEDS to show up big time next week.
It was Smiths fault, had he thrown it over the correct shoulder, that would have been a HUGE play by Crabtree.

Crabs caught that ball 1 handed on the sideline AND got both feet in (I don't care what the refs said). He could make any catch thrown his way properly.
  • B650
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 4,205
Originally posted by Winners:
It was Smiths fault, had he thrown it over the correct shoulder, that would have been a HUGE play by Crabtree.

Crabs caught that ball 1 handed on the sideline AND got both feet in (I don't care what the refs said). He could make any catch thrown his way properly.

He dropped a pretty simple pass early in the game. Again, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I don't think it's his hands. He has excellent hands. I just think as a rookie, especially since he's missed so much time, he's doing too much thinking out there. Rice dropped ball after ball as a rookie, but that quickly changed once he became more comfortable. I see the same thing happening with Crabtree.
I wonder how many of Cutler's fans are making excuses for him now? Just as Alex fans makes excuses for his screw ups!

Of course it's not Jay's fault! His receivers should have been in the position to catch all his passes and his offensive line sucks ... etc. etc. etc.

Sounds familiar?