There are 95 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

important to look at big picture

I realize people are frustrated, we all want to win, but I believe people need to accept 2 facts.

1. we are not making the playoffs
2. smith is still learning the offense and thus will look uncomfortable at times

I believe this season will be a success if two goals are achieved.

1. A consistent improvement by Alex Smith in the final 8 games.
2. A sweep of our divisional opponents.

With that said, the Monday night game against the cards will be a defining game for Alex Smith.
  • B650
  • Veteran
The playoffs aren't out of reach just yet. Last time I checked, there were still 8 games left on the schedule, and only 3 of those teams have a winning record. If we lose against Chicago, then I think it's safe to say that we won't be making the playoffs this year.

[ Edited by B650 on Nov 9, 2009 at 13:21:53 ]
Agreed. Let's give Alex and Jimmy Raye some time to work together and get the kinks out. I believe that Coach Raye showed a willingness to open the offense up and design his scheme around his players strengths. It's showing this season too. VD is having a career year, Crabtree is slowly working his way into the offense, Frank is running well, averaging good yards per pop and catching many passes out of the backfield and Alex, despite the turnovers, looks as solid as I've seen him. This offense can get on track and can complement the defense well. What we do need is more turnovers from our D. In this league it's not enough to stop teams, great D's also create confusion and havoc which lead to turnovers and points. I believe we can get it done, we've just got to be a tad more aggressive.
Completely agree. When this offense comes together & starts to click in this spread offense it is gonna be very fun to watch!
If the 49ers want to win, the have be realistic about their OL starters:

Rachal or Snyder

Bench one and start Wragge. If you're willing to "try Nate Davis" can we try Wragge who has been on this team since the Larry Allen days?

Commit to the shotgun and scrap the 5, 7 step drop. It's just not Alex's thing and watching Snyder or Baas getting blown up like a cheap balloon at a fair makes him prone to "locking on" to a receiver he knows he only has 2.3 seconds.

Secondary needs simple game plan. Whatever we're calling it's so confusing that players are often out of position. How does someone as slow as Gage get that behind the defense and three DBs don't play a mid-air jump ball?
This team has shown some flashes of brillance here and there and it is still growing, but it is also having growing pains. That final quarter yesterday was an eruption of those growing pains. Still, I'm not for firing the whole lot and starting over. If you can accept that this is not yet a playoff team, but a team that is positioning itself for the future, then maybe you can understand that performances like yesterday are still going to happen here and there even though they are going to become rarer as time goes by. I'm just looking for steady improvement this season, but next season they must perform.
I think too many people expected too much from the team, they see a little progress and suddenly think that we are playoff bound. The fact is this is a young team and they have to learn how to win in the NFL, the same can be said for the head coach, he is a rookie coach, he is still learning. What needs to happen is the guys that are going to be here next year need to start getting the majority of the playing time to build chemistry. We have an outside shot at the playoffs, a Warner injury would certainly spell disaster for AZ. More importantly though, we need to continue to build chemistry with the core players on this team.
Originally posted by B650:
The playoffs aren't out of reach just yet. Last time I checked, there were still 8 games left on the schedule, and only 3 of those teams have a winning record. If we lose against Chicago, then I think it's safe to say that we won't be making the playoffs this year.

1. we just lost to a team that had won 1 game all season
2. AZ schedule is ALOT easier than ours
3. you have no idea how much this hurts me to say it, but we wont make the playoffs
  • x49ersx123
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by 49erfan27:
I realize people are frustrated, we all want to win, but I believe people need to accept 2 facts.

1. we are not making the playoffs
2. smith is still learning the offense and thus will look uncomfortable at times

I believe this season will be a success if two goals are achieved.

1. A consistent improvement by Alex Smith in the final 8 games.
2. A sweep of our divisional opponents.

With that said, the Monday night game against the cards will be a defining game for Alex Smith.

I completely agree, I just think that we all had high expectation considering how the season started, but we all have to understand that the 49ers are still a team trying to develop. This is Mike Singletary first season as a head coach and Jimmy Raye first season as the OC(with the 49ers) and let not forget the fact that the QB situation is not the best one to have for a team trying to make the playoff.