There are 127 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Raye interview on the offense

In yards per game, the offense is ranked 27 but that doesn't tell the story.

In yards per play, we are ranked 23. Arizona is ranked 20.

Rushing: We are ranked 12 in yards per rush at 4.3. However, we are ranked 30 in attempts.

Passing: We rank 21 in yards per pass at 6.4. However, we are ranked 26 in attempts per game.

I think Raye and Singletary could be right. We SHOULD believe in our run-game. I know we have broken for 3 big runs but just about every team has done this. To be ranked 12 in yards per carry is solid yet we are last in attempts per game. We keep saying we need to pass more but we barely run the ball.

Now, with Alex Smith, we can actually pass less and get back to that 4.3 yards per carry because Alex Smith will be throwing for bigger chunks than Shaun Hill did. This should bring our passing game in yards per attempt up and hopefully get out running game higher in total yards per game due to more attempts.

The personnel to do this in terms of skill positions is now set. The other issue is Play Calling. Raye seems to call the worst plays at the worst times such as a dive on 1st down followed by a screen pass on 2nd and 9 resulting in a 3rd and 7.

Another issue in the Colts game was costly penalties and drops. When we were moving, we shot ourselves in the foot and made a 3rd and 4 into a 3rd and 9 with a false start...

Let's give Raye's and Singletary's plan a few tries against non-dominating teams and see how we fair.

[ Edited by Joecool on Nov 6, 2009 at 11:46:18 ]
Originally posted by A-R-S:
"I think the confusion is that people are looking at the extremities of what they perceive to be the talent at the extremities and making a judgment that is not founded or grounded at all."

Oh now i get it

Yes, it is really simple. All you have to do is put it in the CIA codebreaker supercomputer, which I did. Here is the translation:

"Fans look at the successful plays and think that is a better way to play than the ground game. This confuses them."

He went on to say that the ground game worked better on teams with Earl Campbell and Eric Dickerson and that Dickerson ran behind one of the best OLs ever.

Among his top concerns: "The inability to bang out at least four yards on first-down runs".

And, amazingly, there is more. "If we were going to...all of a sudden become...wide open....then we would have to do an awful lot of changing".

On Smith: To paraphrase (really have to) "Smith did well in the spread, but that was five years ago and he has sucked in other systems ever since, except for the last 6 quarters where he played like he did 5 years ago".

Raye went on to say "people are starting to refer to his history in college"

Crabtree was a "promising option" but they are "...still trying to get him to line up in the right place".

The cure? "Continuity is the key factor". Also he went into the OL's injuries.

So, fans, disregard your silly ideas that the offense should open up because that would involve too much changing. The team will continue to focus on continuity and better first-down runs.
Originally posted by A-R-S:
"I think the confusion is that people are looking at the extremities of what they perceive to be the talent at the extremities and making a judgment that is not founded or grounded at all."

Oh now i get it

What I got out of this quote was that extremities means the skill players and passing too much as we did pass more than run. "not founded and grounded at all" meaning these skill positions wouldn't do crap without an offensive line and that's what we need to work on more than anything along with the fact that this team hasn't practiced or the playbook isn't ready for passing 50 times a game. It will slowly be installed.
  • dmax
  • Veteran
jimmy raye...wont show his hand to opposing defenses, lets just see how this game plays out

[ Edited by dmax on Nov 6, 2009 at 13:56:29 ]
Originally posted by dmax:
jimmy raye...wont show his hand to opposing defenses, lets just see how this game plays out

Yes, yes! They'll never expect the FB draw out of the 2WR, 2TE set!

Evil Geeeeeeeenius.

MUUUHHAhahahHAHAH!

[ Edited by NinerGM on Nov 6, 2009 at 14:33:20 ]
Originally posted by dmax:

That's what i said before the Colts game as well.

-9fA
Originally posted by Joecool:

Rushing: We are ranked 12 in yards per rush at 4.3. However, we are ranked 30 in attempts.

Passing: We rank 21 in yards per pass at 6.4. However, we are ranked 26 in attempts per game.

I think Raye and Singletary could be right. We SHOULD believe in our run-game. I know we have broken for 3 big runs but just about every team has done this. To be ranked 12 in yards per carry is solid yet we are last in attempts per game. We keep saying we need to pass more but we barely run the ball.

Now, with Alex Smith, we can actually pass less and get back to that 4.3 yards per carry because Alex Smith will be throwing for bigger chunks than Shaun Hill did. This should bring our passing game in yards per attempt up and hopefully get out running game higher in total yards per game due to more attempts.

The personnel to do this in terms of skill positions is now set. The other issue is Play Calling. Raye seems to call the worst plays at the worst times such as a dive on 1st down followed by a screen pass on 2nd and 9 resulting in a 3rd and 7.

Another issue in the Colts game was costly penalties and drops. When we were moving, we shot ourselves in the foot and made a 3rd and 4 into a 3rd and 9 with a false start...

Let's give Raye's and Singletary's plan a few tries against non-dominating teams and see how we fair.

We are ranked 12th in yards per carry because of the 3 long ones' Gore broke.

I would hate to see what we would be ranked without them....

[ Edited by TexasGuero49 on Nov 6, 2009 at 15:01:10 ]
Originally posted by TexasGuero49:

We are ranked 12th in yards per carrie becuase of the 3 long ones' Gore broke.

Take a look at the number of runs over 20 and over 40 by other teams. Most teams get these runs so you can say that in general. The fact is that we did it and not just once which means it can come again.
Originally posted by TexasGuero49:

We are ranked 12th in yards per carrie becuase of the 3 long ones' Gore broke.

I think we are at around 2.4 ypc without those 3 long runs! And I would guess that ranks reallllly low...
I just looked at both of you qouting me, and I'm a no spelling SOB......
Take a look at the number of runs over 20 and over 40 by other teams. Most teams get these runs so you can say that in general. The fact is that we did it and not just once which means it can come again.

As i said before, we have a boom or bust running games that will once in a while take a run to the house if everything goes correctly on a play.

If everything doesn't happen as designed on the chalkboard, we're hit with our normal 1-2 yard gain.

-9fA

[ Edited by 9erfanAUS on Nov 6, 2009 at 17:36:18 ]
Originally posted by BrianGO:

"They are stacking the line more than we would like to see." This comment takes the cake. Bye bye cake. Wow. I don't even know how to respond to that one.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

As i said before, we have a boom or bust running games that will once in a while take a run to the house if everything goes correctly on a play.

If everything does happen as designed on the chalkboard, we're hit with our normal 1-2 yard gain.

-9fA

And the whole point of a running game is the opposite. The running game is supposed to get you 3-5 yard chucks, to set you up for 2nd and 6 and 3rd and short. Our running game sets us up for 2nd n' long or 3rd and long, which is not too good.

Scoring 3 touchdowns with three long runs does not make up for all of the three n' outs. I would rather take those touchdowns away and add one yard to all of our other runs.

The Detroit Lions had Barry Sanders, who had a good running average. They kept feeding him the ball, and he would break free for a touchdown every once in a while, the rest of the time, he got stuffed because the other team was ready and waiting for him.

I guess our new game plan is centered around what the Lions did for so many years with perhaps the greatest running back of all-time. Just feed Sanders the ball and hope he breaks one.

Sanders loved the strategy so much, he retired from football during his prime.
I'm thankful for Gore's 3 long runs, but look at the numbers.

Attempts - 163 divided by 3 is only 54.3

So out of every 54 or 55 times we run the ball we are going to break one, but the other 100+ times are for 1,2 yrds or a loss of yardage. Now I would love the every 54 or 55 times if we averaged more than the 1 or 2 all the other times. We need to up the 100+ other times to a 3 or 4 avg.