LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 300 users in the forums

Raye interview on the offense

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by tohara3:
I hope Raye & Singletary wake up if they want to get to the playoffs.

This.

I'm not even asking for all out change to the spread formation, just use it more to open up some running lanes for Frankie G. Keep the defense honest at least.
Originally posted by TheChozen:

This.

I'm not even asking for all out change to the spread formation, just use it more to open up some running lanes for Frankie G. Keep the defense honest at least.

it boggles the mind that they don't see it.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by TheChozen:

This.

it boggles the mind that they don't see it.

Me too man, me too.
Here are some of Raye's real answers to the questions about the state of the 49ers' offense:

Q: With the personnel you have and what you spent time in the offseason working on, are you comfortable going with the spread offense and shotgun for large portions of the game?

Raye: "No. No. Not at all. It scores too many points. What we are looking for is the quality of the points, not the quantity"

Q: You talked about four weeks ago. Four weeks ago, Alex Smith wasn't the quarterback and Michael Crabtree wasn't here. Do you lean more that way than you did four weeks ago? I'm not saying rip up the playbook, but use more of those elements?

Raye: "Yes, we would think of that a little more. It's difficult because we're still, in certain things, trying to get No. 15 (Crabtree) to line up in the right place. I used to have him line up facing the same direction as the defense, but quickly realized that it was backwards.

Q: Is the offense running how you want it to right now?

Raye: "In some areas, yes. However, once I have read and mastered Jim Hostler's playbook, I think we will be on our way.

Q: The pass game is coming along, so what do you think is the main area of the run game that just has not clicked like you thought it would?

Raye: "Chris Foerster's brain."

Q: Why haven't you been getting those 4 yards on first down?

Raye: "Perhaps because I only have one running play designed and only call it when 11 defensive guys are stacking the line."

Q: So are the pieces still there?

Raye: "Yes, pieces of s..."
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
To me, the most damning quote is: "When we started back, we were more interested in quantity of run than quality because we were trying to control the clock and put it together to the point that we had a chance to win the game in the fourth quarter. And somewhere along the way, in the last 2 ½ weeks, that's kind of gotten lost."

In other words, we're playing "not to lose" on offense. This is what our philosophy on offense has come down to. Keep pace with the opponent, hope and cross our fingers that we eek out a 20-17 win on the final drive every week.

Controlling the clock means crap all if you can't score.

WTF.

-9fA

My exact reaction when I read the quote. Instead of dominating an opponent and knocking them out, like Atlanta did to the Niners, Raye is happy keeping the game close and hoping the team responds in the 4th. What happens when the team isn't able to respond in the 4th? Just look what happened to the Niners in Indy.
I think if we give them time the offense will evolve. If you read these articles it plainly explains that all off-season they built there team around a run based scheme and now that they have found this new dimension and they don't have enough plays to run a game that way. So now they would have to start totally fresh mid-season. The idea of slowly building up to this is the right one. just give em time.
Originally posted by brucesf49:
I think if we give them time the offense will evolve. If you read these articles it plainly explains that all off-season they built there team around a run based scheme and now that they have found this new dimension and they don't have enough plays to run a game that way. So now they would have to start totally fresh mid-season. The idea of slowly building up to this is the right one. just give em time.

Jimmy Raye: And the best thing, the very best thing of all, is there's time now... there's all the time I need and all the time I want. Time, time, time. There's time enough at last.
[goes to pick up a playbook, but in doing so his glasses fall off and break. He slowly raises his glasses to his face, seeing they are completely broken]

Jimmy Raye: That's not fair. That's not fair at all. There was time now. There was, was all the time I needed...
It was Sing's dream to run this sort of offense. He thinks it is the best way to play football. Raye was hired specifically to run it this way.

Raye has shown that he knows how to run a spread offense. He isn't senile or stupid at all, but he is a loyal employee and does what he is told in return for a lot of money.

I wonder if he is getting upset about being the scapegoat.
Normally I would say Raye has forgotten more about football than we'll ever know but may be that's the problem.
  • Veteran
Blah,blah,blah!

I'm one of his critics...but, I also have to say he's no dummy. He's a very bright guy, knows what he's doing. The results haven't shown through yet like I believe, or at least hope they will. He's right...the OL has really limited what he can call. We'd all like to see a more open offense, and in time, we probably will. I also understand about changing QB's...Shaun and Alex are very different, so we can't expect him to change the offense in mid-stream. Gradual changes are most likely to be successful...given three OL starters are gone (counting Marvel Smith). Having said all that, I'd also agree with the majority of posters that we've been far too predictable on offense. He can change that...by passing more in 1st down, getting ourselves in less 3rd and long situations. I'd also like to see him involve Walker, Jason Hill, and MRob a lot more...all these guys can make plays, when put into the right situation. Love what he's done w/Vernon...gotta give him props for that. But, he's got other weapons that've largely gone unused.
Raye completely talked his way out of many many unasked questions. It's like the reporters accepted his answers as is and didn't dig further. When asked why the running game wasn't getting 4 yards on first downs, Raye said because the line has lost its continuity with two guys getting injured. He then said the line isn't now what it was against ARI.

NO ONE! Not one person commented that the running game wasn't working then either.

These reporters are not very good.

[ Edited by Joecool on Nov 5, 2009 at 23:06:50 ]
  • A-R-S
  • Veteran
"I think the confusion is that people are looking at the extremities of what they perceive to be the talent at the extremities and making a judgment that is not founded or grounded at all."

Oh now i get it
In yards per game, the offense is ranked 27 but that doesn't tell the story.

In yards per play, we are ranked 23. Arizona is ranked 20.

Rushing: We are ranked 12 in yards per rush at 4.3. However, we are ranked 30 in attempts.

Passing: We rank 21 in yards per pass at 6.4. However, we are ranked 26 in attempts per game.

I think Raye and Singletary could be right. We SHOULD believe in our run-game. I know we have broken for 3 big runs but just about every team has done this. To be ranked 12 in yards per carry is solid yet we are last in attempts per game. We keep saying we need to pass more but we barely run the ball.

Now, with Alex Smith, we can actually pass less and get back to that 4.3 yards per carry because Alex Smith will be throwing for bigger chunks than Shaun Hill did. This should bring our passing game in yards per attempt up and hopefully get out running game higher in total yards per game due to more attempts.

The personnel to do this in terms of skill positions is now set. The other issue is Play Calling. Raye seems to call the worst plays at the worst times such as a dive on 1st down followed by a screen pass on 2nd and 9 resulting in a 3rd and 7.

Another issue in the Colts game was costly penalties and drops. When we were moving, we shot ourselves in the foot and made a 3rd and 4 into a 3rd and 9 with a false start...

Let's give Raye's and Singletary's plan a few tries against non-dominating teams and see how we fair.

[ Edited by Joecool on Nov 6, 2009 at 11:46:18 ]
Originally posted by A-R-S:
"I think the confusion is that people are looking at the extremities of what they perceive to be the talent at the extremities and making a judgment that is not founded or grounded at all."

Oh now i get it

Yes, it is really simple. All you have to do is put it in the CIA codebreaker supercomputer, which I did. Here is the translation:

"Fans look at the successful plays and think that is a better way to play than the ground game. This confuses them."

He went on to say that the ground game worked better on teams with Earl Campbell and Eric Dickerson and that Dickerson ran behind one of the best OLs ever.

Among his top concerns: "The inability to bang out at least four yards on first-down runs".

And, amazingly, there is more. "If we were going to...all of a sudden become...wide open....then we would have to do an awful lot of changing".

On Smith: To paraphrase (really have to) "Smith did well in the spread, but that was five years ago and he has sucked in other systems ever since, except for the last 6 quarters where he played like he did 5 years ago".

Raye went on to say "people are starting to refer to his history in college"

Crabtree was a "promising option" but they are "...still trying to get him to line up in the right place".

The cure? "Continuity is the key factor". Also he went into the OL's injuries.

So, fans, disregard your silly ideas that the offense should open up because that would involve too much changing. The team will continue to focus on continuity and better first-down runs.
Share 49ersWebzone