LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 279 users in the forums

Raye interview on the offense

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Schulzy:
Originally posted by miked1978:
I'd take that interview with a grain of salt. No way a coach will show his hand. Do you really want him out there telling a reporter that we will switch to this kind of offense?

We pass way more than we run. People say we are too predictable. If those runs gain 4-5 yards we'd all be singing a different tune. To me the bottom line is, our o-line can't run block.

I hear this all the time: not showing his hand, blah blah blah.

The man is an idiot. He's stubborn. Did you hear his comment that the reason for the run game's struggles were 8 men in the box? Any good OC would set up the run with the pass to counteract this, yet previously in the interview he pooh-poohs the change to a more passing attack!

Raye sucks.

This. .

He said there is no difference to take out the FB because they are just going to take out 1 LB out of the box but it's still the same since there is no FB.

Raye is an idiot

[ Edited by BirdmanJr on Nov 5, 2009 at 14:36:04 ]
Things are looking up 9er fans.
Besides the Atlanta game we are IN these games which is more than we can say for the last 5 years.

We have barely lost to NFL's best teams! That means we are almost there!

Stay positive and give Raye a chance!
  • nooj
  • Veteran
Jimmy Raye could lay the blame on whatever he wants. The fact remains that the 49ers are ranked near the bottom in almost every offensive category. We have lost several games now due to his tendency to clam up when we are up by just a few points. Predictability, lack of imagination, and unwillingness to make adjustments has plagued this offense since the preseason.

I am sick of the excuses. Do your damn job for once.
Raye: "It's not the same pieces, but we have people in place. We lost Tony Pashos and a week later we lost Joe Staley. There are some differences. I'm not alibi-ing or making excuses but it is different than the way we started in Arizona seven weeks ago."

Even before those injuries we didn't run the ball effectively or look good on offense.
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
I'm just wondering why no one has asked him why his plays are so predictable? We don't need a spread offense, just stop being so goddamn predictable Raye.

I know that answer he's in his 60's and set in his ways at that age like most 60 year olds regardless of what they are doing.

That's what I got from it as well.

What Raye doesn't know is that the NFL has actually evolves over time. Defenses adapt, and you have to counteract that.

-9fA

Yup, just look at the Raiders where Al Davis is still trying to make his 60's Offensive Schemes work (i.e. fast receivers and the Bombs away) . ... and it's working like a champ ! NOT!

Exactly.

They said they drafted DHB because they wanted to run run run and then "throw the ball over your head," lol.
They still maintain an ancient idea about football that works on the playground and some division II programs, but not anymore in the NFL.

And our strategy is just as bad, if not worse. "Hang around, keep it close until the fourth quarter rolls around, THEN go for the win if it is close enough."

California football has gone the way of the Dodo. Its turned into an old "East Coast" mentality of "wear down your running back and maybe throw deep" that they did in the 50's and 60's.
Which is ashamed because California has a history of producing some of the greatest coaches and players the game has seen.
To me, the most damning quote is: "When we started back, we were more interested in quantity of run than quality because we were trying to control the clock and put it together to the point that we had a chance to win the game in the fourth quarter. And somewhere along the way, in the last 2 ½ weeks, that's kind of gotten lost."

In other words, we're playing "not to lose" on offense. This is what our philosophy on offense has come down to. Keep pace with the opponent, hope and cross our fingers that we eek out a 20-17 win on the final drive every week.

Controlling the clock means crap all if you can't score.

WTF.

-9fA

[ Edited by 9erfanAUS on Nov 5, 2009 at 14:48:41 ]
To me, the most damning quote is: "When we started back, we were more interested in quantity of run than quality because we were trying to control the clock and put it together to the point that we had a chance to win the game in the fourth quarter. And somewhere along the way, in the last 2 ½ weeks, that's kind of gotten lost."

In other words, we're playing "not to lose" on offense. This is what our philosophy on offense has come down to. Keep pace with the opponent, hope and cross our fingers that we eek out a 20-17 win on the final drive every week.

WTF.

-9fA
QUANTITY VS. QUALITY?! WHO THE f**k SAYS THIS THPE OF f**kING s**t?! WOW. WHY DO WE ALWAYS GOT THE WORST f**kING OC'S IN THE f**kING NFL?!

[ Edited by Method on Nov 5, 2009 at 14:49:50 ]
  • nooj
  • Veteran

WTF.

-9fA

That is why I am so concerned. This is a philosophy of Singletary AND Raye, and I don't see it changing in the future.

Yeah controlling the clock and stringing together drives is important, but ultimately putting points up on the board should be the main goal. Who cares if your time of possession is 43 minutes if you lose the game!!!!

[ Edited by nooj on Nov 5, 2009 at 14:53:32 ]
Originally posted by Schulzy:
Originally posted by miked1978:
I'd take that interview with a grain of salt. No way a coach will show his hand. Do you really want him out there telling a reporter that we will switch to this kind of offense?

We pass way more than we run. People say we are too predictable. If those runs gain 4-5 yards we'd all be singing a different tune. To me the bottom line is, our o-line can't run block.

I hear this all the time: not showing his hand, blah blah blah.

The man is an idiot. He's stubborn. Did you hear his comment that the reason for the run game's struggles were 8 men in the box? Any good OC would set up the run with the pass to counteract this, yet previously in the interview he pooh-poohs the change to a more passing attack!

Raye sucks.

Raye is brilliant.

He is making our offense go three n' out, so that when we get to the playoffs, teams will not account for the "super-duper Raye spectacular" offense that he will have ready and waiting.

There is of course, one slight flaw with this brilliant plan.

We have to get to the playoffs first.
It's just too funny, before we were f**ked because we didn't have any good offensive players. Now we get some good players, VD, Crabs, Morgan, Gore and A. Smith seems to be stepping up and now we are f**ked because of our OC.

Quantity vs. Quality? You have to be kidding me. So he doesnt care how many yards we get, as long as we keep running it. That is a horrible way of thinking. If it doesnt work, then change it! What other team thinks "I know we have only 32 yards on 20 carries, but lets keep doin it because QUANTITY is better.

Our run game has been getting stuffed all year, and when something isnt working, you need to try somethin else. He just admitted that he does not change his gameplan when its not workin.
Raye seriously sounds like the grandpa we all have that is set in his ways and thinks everything he does or say is right. We all know know or have that kind of grandpa. He is that! In its purest form. And it sucks for us that he's our OC
  • Antix
  • Veteran
I'm praying we have one of those mid to late season runs and catapult into the playoffs.

I don't take a thing good or bad from this interview. He was just saying a whole lotta nothing to fulfill obligation. We can't go from a run happy to a pass happy offense at a snap of the finger and I HOPE he realizes that we need to become more of a passing team and that maybe, in a few weeks, we finally get some cohesiveness and our offense takes off.

My problem with Raye has always been WHEN he calls run plays. He always seems to call them when there is very little chance for success. He never calls thm at the right time. He'll go run run pass but never set up the run with the pass which is annoying because our o-line can't impose its will.

But our O is a lot different today than it was the first of the year except for the crappiness of the line, but we didnt know they were this bad at the beginning.

We gotta take baby steps but I'm hoping one day it clicks and we catch fire. It happens to at least one team every year and I think we have the make up of the team that can do it.
I just wish that Raye knew what 3 X 3 was.
I hope Raye & Singletary wake up if they want to get to the playoffs.
Share 49ersWebzone