LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 162 users in the forums

Raye interview on the offense

Shop Find 49ers gear online
http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/11/rayes-thoughts-on-spread-and-run-game.html

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/2009/11/raye-willing-to.html

[ Edited by BirdmanJr on Nov 5, 2009 at 13:37:33 ]
***FORUM RULES: READ BEFORE POSTING***

Quote:
Posting of copyrighted material such as, but not limited to, complete articles from commercial pay sites or personal sites is strictly prohibited. Instead, you must link to or summarize the articles. We have the right to delete any posts that contain such copyrighted material.

Each forum has a specific topic of discussion set by the site administrator. Posting outside of this topic is prohibited. If you are not sure where you should post a specific topic, contact a moderator for assistance.
Originally posted by redrathman:
***FORUM RULES: READ BEFORE POSTING***

Quote:
Posting of copyrighted material such as, but not limited to, complete articles from commercial pay sites or personal sites is strictly prohibited. Instead, you must link to or summarize the articles. We have the right to delete any posts that contain such copyrighted material.

Each forum has a specific topic of discussion set by the site administrator. Posting outside of this topic is prohibited. If you are not sure where you should post a specific topic, contact a moderator for assistance.

Didn't know that...just posted the links

[ Edited by BirdmanJr on Nov 5, 2009 at 13:38:00 ]
In short it isn't happening. And What I take is that he's saying folks are looking at 2 minute and end of the game situations and just assuming they can play like this for a whole game. But in reality it's the non aggressiveness of defenses in those situations that also play a part in the spread looking better than the normal offense. And the o line stinks so don't look for it. I didn't like that run game is more about quantity than quality though. Ket's just hope the players execute and Raye coaches better and calls better plays in certain situations. And at least attempt a few deep passes a game. you don't have to do into a spread to do that .
I'm just wondering why no one has asked him why his plays are so predictable? We don't need a spread offense, just stop being so goddamn predictable Raye.
I was hoping to get better answers than what he provided
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
I'm just wondering why no one has asked him why his plays are so predictable? We don't need a spread offense, just stop being so goddamn predictable Raye.

I know that answer he's in his 60's and set in his ways at that age like most 60 year olds regardless of what they are doing.
Originally posted by lamontb:

I know that answer he's in his 60's and set in his ways at that age like most 60 year olds regardless of what they are doing.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks

That's what I got from it as well.

What Raye doesn't know is that the NFL actually evolves over time. Defenses adapt, and you have to counteract that.

-9fA

[ Edited by 9erfanAUS on Nov 5, 2009 at 14:42:10 ]
I'd take that interview with a grain of salt. No way a coach will show his hand. Do you really want him out there telling a reporter that we will switch to this kind of offense?

We pass way more than we run. People say we are too predictable. If those runs gain 4-5 yards we'd all be singing a different tune. To me the bottom line is, our o-line can't run block.

That was a horrible interview. Raye makes excuses about injuries, but it has made absolutely no difference what players are in the game. The offense still goes three n' out, regardless of quarterback, running back, offensive linemen, WR's, anything.

"They are stacking the line more than we would like to see." This comment takes the cake. Bye bye cake. Wow. I don't even know how to respond to that one.

What we are witnessing is an utter failure of strategy. If the strategy is poor, the tactics won't work, and the soldiers won't perform.

We wanted to be a "quantity, not quality" running team? My God. I honestly can't believe an NFL offensive coordinator could ever say something like that.

Its like a nightmare. We used to have Bill Walsh, who simply understood the game, now we have what other teams used to have when we played them. That is why we destroyed them week in and week out. They thought like this, and we exploited them for it. Now, we are the ones who think like this, and we are getting exploited.

We can finally see both sides of the fence.

Our team's strategy is to hang around and try and pull out a win in the fourth quarter? I simply can't believe it.

THIS mentality will lead us to the playoffs? THIS mentality will build "something special"?

Incomprehensible.
Quote:
The efficiency of 4-yard runs on first down. That coupled with the fact that we get an overloaded box. When we're in a 21 personnel group (two backs, one tight end, two receivers), we see more gap-controled eight-man add-on fronts than we'd normally like to see

Then throw the f**king ball. Establish the run with the pass.

Idiot.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

That's what I got from it as well.

What Raye doesn't know is that the NFL has actually evolves over time. Defenses adapt, and you have to counteract that.

-9fA

Yup, just look at the Raiders where Al Davis is still trying to make his 60's Offensive Schemes work (i.e. fast receivers and the Bombs away) . ... and it's working like a champ ! NOT!

I had a grandfather once that insisted on driving 50 MPH in the middle of Hiway 101. When I said something about the speed limit being 65, all he said was ... 50 MPH is fast enough for anyone! Stubborn you say?

[ Edited by Kauaiguy on Nov 5, 2009 at 14:32:09 ]
  • NinersCluebat
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by miked1978:
I'd take that interview with a grain of salt. No way a coach will show his hand. Do you really want him out there telling a reporter that we will switch to this kind of offense?

We pass way more than we run. People say we are too predictable. If those runs gain 4-5 yards we'd all be singing a different tune. To me the bottom line is, our o-line can't run block.

lol he already does this every time the offense lines up.
Originally posted by miked1978:

I hear this all the time: not showing his hand, blah blah blah.

The man is an idiot. He's stubborn. Did you hear his comment that the reason for the run game's struggles were 8 men in the box? Any good OC would set up the run with the pass to counteract this, yet previously in the interview he pooh-poohs the change to a more passing attack!

Raye sucks.
Share 49ersWebzone