LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 279 users in the forums

Hope Dilfer Is Wrong About Singletary

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SDDAVE:
Just picked this up from Don Banks SI Power Rankings
San Francisco 49ers (3-4)
"Talked to Trent Dilfer about Alex Smith the other day. He too agrees the 49ers need to let Smith spread the field with receivers and do what he does best, find the open man. But he doubts whether the run-oriented Mike Singletary will open things up and run the kind of offense that best suits Smith's talents. "Toward the end of 2006 (when Smith and Dilfer were teammates in San Francisco), that's what (offensive coordinator) Norv (Turner) was moving toward, some empty backfield sets and spreading the field with receivers. Alex's used to that and that's what he how he knows how to play," Dilfer said. "But I don't think the 49ers will have the wisdom and the foresight to change to that degree. I just don't."

He is 100% correct. I've been saying that for years. They are trying to put a square peg into a round hole with Alex. Just play the way he plays. But they won't IMO. They have a stubborn idea that 1 yard and a cloud of dust neandrathal offense is the way to go.

The talent of Crabtree will make them change their minds. Wanting to be a running team is just the coaches recognizing what talents they have or lack of. Think of what they had at the beginning of the year and you get an idea why they want to run the ball and be conservative.

They had Shaun Hill --manage the game, but don't ask me to spread it around type. V. Davis in his 3rd year of 'this year is his breakout year'. Josh Morgan showed promises but still relatively inexperience. Brandon Jones looked good in camp but injury curtailed whatever he had going. Still puzzled at Jason Hill situation but the guy couldn't buy his way on to the field. Coaches like guys with experience especially if they think the team is still young on offense, this I think is the reason for Bruce still on the field but only occasionally gets opened. It's no wonder they want to be conservative, run the ball don't make mistake.

The talents have now changed mainly because of three guys. VD has emerged as somewhat of a threat to defense. Crabtree had been effective since his first day, which no one expected. And A. Smith showed his shoulder is back to normal, he's not the old Smith, and though not where we want him to be, can spread the ball around to the playmakers.

This is why Singletary did not hesitate to replace Hill with Smith and don't plan to go back to Hill, because he had already recognized the changes in talent the team developed. He needed someone to get the ball to our new found talents in VD and Crabtree.

[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Nov 4, 2009 at 19:02:50 ]
For sure there is not the trust factor at this point where Singletary would try to change a lot of things up just to tailor the offense to suit Alex Smith. He wouldn't even be starting if Hill ended up better than what he turned out to be.
Originally posted by JeuSF49:
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
He is right.

In this day in the NFL pass to open up the run. Not the other way around. No other team in the league approaches the game like this. Well no "winning" team does..

Hey Sing/Raye I wonder why that is..

May I remind you that no team used the pass to set up the run. It was then believed that you can't be successful if you do not Run to set up the pass.

Also it was considered that only the vertical passing game is effective.

Well Bill Walsh thought different and the result is known. Every team in teh League uses now some plays of the Bill Walsh offence.

Umm are you reminding me of what I just stated??
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by djfullshred:
For sure there is not the trust factor at this point where Singletary would try to change a lot of things up just to tailor the offense to suit Alex Smith. He wouldn't even be starting if Hill ended up better than what he turned out to be.

Maybe not outright...but slowly.....Alex Smith has proven one so far....thingz will be different....
Originally posted by Digger25:
adapt/evolve or die.

i would like to to say it is as simple as that. it could be, if we had the OL to do so. but with a suspect line, i don't see smith surviving back there. worse, i see rushed throws and poor reads, leading to many turnovers.

as much as it is a cliche', it still the truth (ruth): games are won in the trenches.

i do disagree with the power running mentality/strategy, because that too has suffered from poor line play. the best thing the niners could do is keep the opponent guessing as long as they can. throw on first down every once in a while and keep the defense guessing.

I agree with this post^^^
From 1980 to 2003 we had a top 15 offense,most of the time top 5.

2004---26th
2005---32nd
2006---26th
2007---32nd
2008---23rd--(massive improvment..)
2009---27th

I don't know who got hired or fired between 03 and 04 season, but somebody in the front office had a major brain fart. We can't crack the top 20 in 5 going on 6 years now. THIS IS UNEXCEPTABLE OFFENSIVE PRODUCTION.

Who's leg do you got to hump around here to get some production.

Somebody tell me so I can get to humping....
Originally posted by matt49er:
Originally posted by vermonator:
If and when Norv comes back he will change Singletary's mind.

if Norv came back Singletary would know well enough to let him run his offense. You know Norv would still run the ball a good amount while finding other ways to get Gore involved.

That would be such a perfect fit. Just give Norv the Assistant HC title and turn over the offense.
From Don Banks on CNNSI. My ctiticism has been that the Niners are are running on offense that does not fit Alex's strengths. Dilfer backs this up. I just fear they may be repeating the same mistakes Nolan made. Sorry if already posted...

Talked to Trent Dilfer about Alex Smith the other day. He too agrees the 49ers need to let Smith spread the field with receivers and do what he does best, find the open man. But he doubts whether the run-oriented Mike Singletary will open things up and run the kind of offense that best suits Smith's talents. "Toward the end of 2006 (when Smith and Dilfer were teammates in San Francisco), that's what (offensive coordinator) Norv (Turner) was moving toward, some empty backfield sets and spreading the field with receivers. Alex's used to that and that's what he how he knows how to play," Dilfer said. "But I don't think the 49ers will have the wisdom and the foresight to change to that degree. I just don't."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/don_banks/11/04/week.9.2/index.html
preaching to the choir man

posted yesterday homie
And Trent Dilfer is???
Originally posted by King49er:
And Trent Dilfer is???

Right.
Originally posted by King49er:
And Trent Dilfer is???

A Super Bowl Champion.
Share 49ersWebzone