There are 150 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Hope Dilfer Is Wrong About Singletary

  • Sokko
  • Info N/A
It was very enlightening to hear that Bill Walsh was very interested in Urban Meyers offense in his last days.

Makes you wonder ...
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
You would think, right? We will see on Sunday -- I just don't have faith that this is going to happen when I feel like it will be so obvious to do.
Sing will have to put his ego aside to change the offense that much. Like Kawakami and others have said--now we'll get to see if Sing can be a good coach. Can he adapt to be succesful?

Quote:
Or if we run the ball, how about a stretch? How about a toss? How about a counter? Enough with the dive to the left dive to the right. It's f**king terrible.
You said it! It's like 90% of the running game consists of runs between or behind the OGs!
  • KasparHauser
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by DownSouth:
Originally posted by Ninerman49:
you are worrying for nothing
Nothing eh? We've lost 3 in a row and 4 of our last 5. The running game is DEAD. The offense is in the bottom 5 of the NFL (with teams like Cleveland, St.Louis, and Oakland). When we get a lead, our coaches get super-conservative, and it has cost us 2 games we should have won. The HC/OC refuse to consistently run a formation that our new Qb has success in.

How is that worrying about nothing?

Our defense and the NFC West.

Smith/Crabtree/V.Davis/Gore, these are some solid weapons that will slowly begin to emerge in the next few weeks.
Originally posted by vermonator:
If and when Norv comes back he will change Singletary's mind.

Screw Norv Turner. We don't want someone who abandoned this organization so late in the offseason. He is the reason we had Hostler as an O coordinator.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
it seems the only time Smith is allowed to do that is when we NEED to move the ball. It's annoying as hell.

that is because Singletary style football is to just keep it close and hope you can win in the end instead of going out there and playing to your full potential and winning the game outright
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
He is right.

In this day in the NFL pass to open up the run. Not the other way around. No other team in the league approaches the game like this. Well no "winning" team does..

Hey Sing/Raye I wonder why that is..

May I remind you that no team used the pass to set up the run. It was then believed that you can't be successful if you do not Run to set up the pass.

Also it was considered that only the vertical passing game is effective.

Well Bill Walsh thought different and the result is known. Every team in teh League uses now some plays of the Bill Walsh offence.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 5,321
Originally posted by Sokko:
It was very enlightening to hear that Bill Walsh was very interested in Urban Meyers offense in his last days.

Makes you wonder ...

Where U hear that?
players don't know the spread offense well enough for us to use it as a staple of our game plan.
Trent Dilfer is a joke and total Homer no matter what he is asked about. If he were asked about Gore, he would probably say the Niners need to get him the ball in better situations because he's shown he can break the big one.

Take a look at the stats in 2006, Dilfer. Smith got worse as the season went on which means he got worse when Norv began to "open it up" as you say he did. Whatever.
When is Dilfer ever right?
Originally posted by znk916:
MM guessed at why we don't go to more of a spread offense, because we can't. It was never part of the vision of this team for this year at least, so we simply don't have enough plays/looks/adjustments out of the spread to use it regularly outside of the 2-minute drill.

Sing sounds real stubborn but he actually has a quick trigger finger with regard to making changes as compared to other NFL coaches. We've been throwing the ball quite a bit lately and doing well at it (check the Alex is 6th in DVOA thread), but the problem still is and always has been from the start, we can't run the ball at all.

We're always facing 2nd and long or 3rd and long because we can't even get 3 yards a pop on the ground. In the live chat yesterday, Barrows put the blame 60% on the playcalling, 30% on the OL, and 10% on Gore trying to do too much and making the wrong reads. I think that's a pretty accurate breakdown.

With regards to playcalling, we telegraph run all the way whenever Norris is in the game and not only that, the run almost always goes straight up the gut between the tackles. With regards to personnel, we don't have even one above-avg run blocker on the line. As for Gore, I think he trusts his blockers too much, and needs to break off the play to the outside more often at least to mix it up if Raye isn't going to.

I read that also, and I don't get it. How many different "looks" do you need to show from a spread formation. It's not a game of hide the ball and surprise people. It's saying, "you can't cover all of our guys." Seems to me like you could line up in the same spread formation for almost every play in the game, and if you have the personnel you'd still be difficult to defense.

I think what Singletary really wants is the ability to control the ball and run out the clock with a lead. I think it's been demonstrated that we don't have that ability. But if we spread out people as our default base offense, then balance it out with quick hitters to Gore, that would probably be a pretty productive running game.
Originally posted by BSofSF:
Originally posted by znk916:
MM guessed at why we don't go to more of a spread offense, because we can't. It was never part of the vision of this team for this year at least, so we simply don't have enough plays/looks/adjustments out of the spread to use it regularly outside of the 2-minute drill.

Sing sounds real stubborn but he actually has a quick trigger finger with regard to making changes as compared to other NFL coaches. We've been throwing the ball quite a bit lately and doing well at it (check the Alex is 6th in DVOA thread), but the problem still is and always has been from the start, we can't run the ball at all.

We're always facing 2nd and long or 3rd and long because we can't even get 3 yards a pop on the ground. In the live chat yesterday, Barrows put the blame 60% on the playcalling, 30% on the OL, and 10% on Gore trying to do too much and making the wrong reads. I think that's a pretty accurate breakdown.

With regards to playcalling, we telegraph run all the way whenever Norris is in the game and not only that, the run almost always goes straight up the gut between the tackles. With regards to personnel, we don't have even one above-avg run blocker on the line. As for Gore, I think he trusts his blockers too much, and needs to break off the play to the outside more often at least to mix it up if Raye isn't going to.

I read that also, and I don't get it. How many different "looks" do you need to show from a spread formation. It's not a game of hide the ball and surprise people. It's saying, "you can't cover all of our guys." Seems to me like you could line up in the same spread formation for almost every play in the game, and if you have the personnel you'd still be difficult to defense.

I think what Singletary really wants is the ability to control the ball and run out the clock with a lead. I think it's been demonstrated that we don't have that ability. But if we spread out people as our default base offense, then balance it out with quick hitters to Gore, that would probably be a pretty productive running game.

It's play calling. You really can't state we can't run the ball. We can't run the ball because we run on predictable downs and we use predictable formations. The NFL is about as even as any league when it comes to talent and one of the few things you can use as an advantage is being unpredictable.

We just need to get away from the pattern of the downs we run on and the types of runs we call. I only saw that fake FB dive pitch-out to Gore twice in one game with at least 7 yards on both calls. Haven't seen it since. Thought I would see it in this last game after we called Norris' number twice on 3rd and short. It would have been a nice setup later in the game.

Oh well.
Originally posted by DownSouth:
Originally posted by Ninerman49:
you are worrying for nothing
Nothing eh? We've lost 3 in a row and 4 of our last 5. The running game is DEAD. The offense is in the bottom 5 of the NFL (with teams like Cleveland, St.Louis, and Oakland). When we get a lead, our coaches get super-conservative, and it has cost us 2 games we should have won. The HC/OC refuse to consistently run a formation that our new Qb has success in.

How is that worrying about nothing?

Originally posted by KasparHauser:
Our defense and the NFC West.
Since our offense has been the primary reason we've lost games this year, "the defense" doesn't matter. It's not good enough to overcome how bad our offense has been. Try again.

The NFC West? Out of our remaining 9 games, we only have 3 games against NFC West opponents. The NFC West does help us b/c it's rather weak this year, but that won't help us in games against Chicago, Green Bay, and Philly. To make the playoffs, we must have a better record than the Cardinals. Their remaining schedule is easier than ours. It's not impossible, but our offense has to wake up for it happen. "Our defense and the NFC West" won't change that.

Originally posted by KasparHauser[/quote:
Smith/Crabtree/V.Davis/Gore, these are some solid weapons that will slowly begin to emerge in the next few weeks.
Translation: you expect the offense to get much better than it is right now.

If Singletary can put his ego aside and let them play an offensive style that better suits Smith, then it could happen.....could happen. Until it actually does happen, there is a legitimate reason for worry.
Originally posted by posterX:
Singletary appears to be over matched...There are many better options out there.

How many of those coaches would want to try to turn it around with the same putrid O-line that got the last two coaches fired, the same GM who refuses to spend the money or picks necessary to upgrade that line, no franchise QB, no legitimate passrusher, little chance of immediate help coming in the off-season and a fanbase that is losing all patience?

A better situation will be found elsewhere for anybody who is an upgrade over Sing.
  • 15crabtre
  • Info N/A
who cares what he thinks , how can he talk about our team he has always sucked ok , he still thinks it is 2000 ravens , give me a break