LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 199 users in the forums

Hope Dilfer Is Wrong About Singletary

Shop Find 49ers gear online
If we lose this weekend on the measly titans with our putrid play calling I am 100% sure that Niner Talk would explode and fans would be calling on Sing and Jimmy Raye to get fired. Sing is too stubborn on his philosophy we will see where this weak power smash mouth football would takes us. So far the record speaks for itself we are 3-4 but we are still in it. If we don't make the playoffs this year and don't see any improvement on playcalling I say fire sing and Raye. There are many other good coaches available right now. But I doubt sing would get fired for one season. Ray would be fired I am sure but Sing stays for one more year.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Digger25:
adapt/evolve or die.

i would like to to say it is as simple as that. it could be, if we had the OL to do so. but with a suspect line, i don't see smith surviving back there. worse, i see rushed throws and poor reads, leading to many turnovers.

as much as it is a cliche', it still the truth (ruth): games are won in the trenches.

i do disagree with the power running mentality/strategy, because that too has suffered from poor line play. the best thing the niners could do is keep the opponent guessing as long as they can. throw on first down every once in a while and keep the defense guessing.

Aaron Rodgers gets sacked 5 or 6 times a game, But he is among the best Qb's. If Alex Smith is ever going to become what the Niners thought, he is going to have to be give 4 or 5 reciever sets every once awhile. However Jimmy Raye has only 20 plays in the playbook
Originally posted by GoFD74:
Taking Singletary's side on this one. Mike's point is that it takes time (and timing) to get more sophisticated in your offense, especially after switching QBs and adding a new #1 WR. It's more of an evolutionary thing than a hard-stop. You have to first gain timing with your weapons around the existing playbook before you can realistically expand it (formations, routes, wrinkles, etc.).

Singletary is a hard-azz, but he's not stupid...he knows that the talent he has on offense doesn't currently fit for the style he wants to play. But the adjustments take time and patience (something we fans and the media have very little of).

Oh soooooooo this!!!

Coach Singletary is still in his first full season as a HC and he's making adjustments in players starting, he's makin' adjustments in his offensive coordinator's approach, he's keeping his "Buck stops here" mentality and culture. Ultimately, he is responsible.

It takes time to be able to switch gears that hard from strong running team to a more passing one. All TC, run, run run, rigtht? And now in two weeks, we are supposed to open it up like Indy or NE who have had the same offensive structure for years?

Please.

I am looking forward to the development of this team. History is repeating itself before our very eyes. We are losing close to big teams except for Atl of course:
Vikes--Lost by four
Texans--Lost by three
Indy, #1 team in the NFL--Lost by only four

Next year, we will win those games especially given next year's talent pool in the draft with two first rounders and an abundant FA pool that caters to our needs like pass rusher and OT.

This year, we still have a remaining schedule that makes it possible to still think playoffs at 3-4. Before we meet AZ, we have: Tennessee--Chicago--Green Bay--Jacksonville--Seattle. I say we have a great chance in going 4-1 worse case...3-2.

AZ has: Chicago, Seattle, St. Louis, Tennessee and my fav, Minny! before they come to SF. I can see them going 3-2 in that stretch.

That is why I believe that Coach Singletary will have this team ready for that stretch in Dec where you make the playoffs. That game against AZ will be the biggest so far in their rivalry because we do have a chance to reach the playoffs and we will go!

Damn it!!!
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by vermonator:
If and when Norv comes back he will change Singletary's mind.

Norv won't come back, but notwithstanding Dufus' opinion is just that. Nothing to get worried about

If the chargers dont make the playoffs expect norv to get canned.

If Raye doesnt do a damn thing all year with this O, I would say its safe to say he will get canned too....

We all know Sing likes Norv`s style of O and i would bet that if that scenario does happen Norv would be the first person Sing called for the job, Oh and i dont see Norv gettin a HC gig anytime soon. Wishful thinking, i know.....
Originally posted by Digger25:
adapt/evolve or die.

i would like to to say it is as simple as that. it could be, if we had the OL to do so. but with a suspect line, i don't see smith surviving back there. worse, i see rushed throws and poor reads, leading to many turnovers.

as much as it is a cliche', it still the truth (ruth): games are won in the trenches.

i do disagree with the power running mentality/strategy, because that too has suffered from poor line play. the best thing the niners could do is keep the opponent guessing as long as they can. throw on first down every once in a while and keep the defense guessing.

Agree
  • WestCoastNut
  • Info N/A
He's wrong. Niners are now passing more than running. Both phases are going to improve, now that we have a medium range air threat.
Originally posted by GoFD74:
Taking Singletary's side on this one. Mike's point is that it takes time (and timing) to get more sophisticated in your offense, especially after switching QBs and adding a new #1 WR. It's more of an evolutionary thing than a hard-stop. You have to first gain timing with your weapons around the existing playbook before you can realistically expand it (formations, routes, wrinkles, etc.).

Singletary is a hard-azz, but he's not stupid...he knows that the talent he has on offense doesn't currently fit for the style he wants to play. But the adjustments take time and patience (something we fans and the media have very little of).

I agree with you to an extent, but I think we should go into the spread as a change of pace. Sort of like how Indy went to the no huddle offense against us to spark the offense.

You keep the base offense, but when that's proven to be ineffective you mix things up for a drive or 2. You just can't sit and there wait to the last second to mix things up.
Originally posted by znk916:
MM guessed at why we don't go to more of a spread offense, because we can't. It was never part of the vision of this team for this year at least, so we simply don't have enough plays/looks/adjustments out of the spread to use it regularly outside of the 2-minute drill.

Sing sounds real stubborn but he actually has a quick trigger finger with regard to making changes as compared to other NFL coaches. We've been throwing the ball quite a bit lately and doing well at it (check the Alex is 6th in DVOA thread), but the problem still is and always has been from the start, we can't run the ball at all.

We're always facing 2nd and long or 3rd and long because we can't even get 3 yards a pop on the ground. In the live chat yesterday, Barrows put the blame 60% on the playcalling, 30% on the OL, and 10% on Gore trying to do too much and making the wrong reads. I think that's a pretty accurate breakdown.

With regards to playcalling, we telegraph run all the way whenever Norris is in the game and not only that, the run almost always goes straight up the gut between the tackles. With regards to personnel, we don't have even one above-avg run blocker on the line. As for Gore, I think he trusts his blockers too much, and needs to break off the play to the outside more often at least to mix it up if Raye isn't going to.

My wife knows very little about football—very little. She pretty much just watches the Super Bowl every year which is more of a social event for her and that's about it. Well, she watched a few minutes of the Colts game last weekend. The 49ers lined up in I-form and, without a single prompt from me, she said sarcastically, "Let me guess, they're going to run it straight up the middle?"

I nearly fell off my chair. If my wife, who doesn't know the difference between a sack and a tackle or an offensive line and a defense, KNOWS the play we're running before it's run, our offense is ridiculously obvious.

• KasparHauser
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by SDDAVE:
Just picked this up from Don Banks SI Power Rankings
San Francisco 49ers (3-4)
"Talked to Trent Dilfer about Alex Smith the other day. He too agrees the 49ers need to let Smith spread the field with receivers and do what he does best, find the open man. But he doubts whether the run-oriented Mike Singletary will open things up and run the kind of offense that best suits Smith's talents. "Toward the end of 2006 (when Smith and Dilfer were teammates in San Francisco), that's what (offensive coordinator) Norv (Turner) was moving toward, some empty backfield sets and spreading the field with receivers. Alex's used to that and that's what he how he knows how to play," Dilfer said. "But I don't think the 49ers will have the wisdom and the foresight to change to that degree. I just don't."

Why would Trent Dilfer's opinion matter more than Singletaries? I know he is a good QB, and is intelligent, but really? Come on people, he is an 49er QB with some ties to the organization, mostly Nolan, and I doubt those ties go very deep. He was also throwing passes to Crabtree in the offseason and been known to say some pointed things about the 49ers in general. I am not saying that he wasn't correct sometimes, but he is no authority. He should be viewed as an ex-49er QB, brought in by the ex-coach Nolan, who wasn't with the team for long and didn't actually play well while he was here.
  • KasparHauser
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by ghostrider:
MM guessed at why we don't go to more of a spread offense, because we can't. It was never part of the vision of this team for this year at least, so we simply don't have enough plays/looks/adjustments out of the spread to use it regularly outside of the 2-minute drill.

Sing sounds real stubborn but he actually has a quick trigger finger with regard to making changes as compared to other NFL coaches. We've been throwing the ball quite a bit lately and doing well at it (check the Alex is 6th in DVOA thread), but the problem still is and always has been from the start, we can't run the ball at all.

We're always facing 2nd and long or 3rd and long because we can't even get 3 yards a pop on the ground. In the live chat yesterday, Barrows put the blame 60% on the playcalling, 30% on the OL, and 10% on Gore trying to do too much and making the wrong reads. I think that's a pretty accurate breakdown.

With regards to playcalling, we telegraph run all the way whenever Norris is in the game and not only that, the run almost always goes straight up the gut between the tackles. With regards to personnel, we don't have even one above-avg run blocker on the line. As for Gore, I think he trusts his blockers too much, and needs to break off the play to the outside more often at least to mix it up if Raye isn't going to.

My wife knows very little about football—very little. She pretty much just watches the Super Bowl every year which is more of a social event for her and that's about it. Well, she watched a few minutes of the Colts game last weekend. The 49ers lined up in I-form and, without a single prompt from me, she said sarcastically, "Let me guess, they're going to run it straight up the middle?"

I nearly fell off my chair. If my wife, who doesn't know the difference between a sack and a tackle or an offensive line and a defense, KNOWS the play we're running before it's run, our offense is ridiculously obvious.

One thing Singletary has done differently than the last few coaches is make changes. Switching QBs, defensive schemes, swapping out players who aren't performing for those that do. If something isn't working he is not going to continue to do it, that was Nolan's style.

Sing is a pragmatic coach. I think he ultimately does what it takes to win. I’d be surprised if he doesn’t open up the offense for Alex Smith.
Originally posted by 49ersMan420:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by vermonator:
If and when Norv comes back he will change Singletary's mind.

Norv won't come back, but notwithstanding Dufus' opinion is just that. Nothing to get worried about

If the chargers dont make the playoffs expect norv to get canned.

If Raye doesnt do a damn thing all year with this O, I would say its safe to say he will get canned too....

We all know Sing likes Norv`s style of O and i would bet that if that scenario does happen Norv would be the first person Sing called for the job, Oh and i dont see Norv gettin a HC gig anytime soon. Wishful thinking, i know.....

The saving grace for Raye is that he was Norv's OC in Oakland so I could see Raye staying on in that capacity while Norv takes over the play calling.
Originally posted by KasparHauser:
Originally posted by ghostrider:

One thing Singletary has done differently than the last few coaches is make changes. Switching QBs, defensive schemes, swapping out players who aren't performing for those that do. If something isn't working he is not going to continue to do it, that was Nolan's style.

That seems to be true with everything else. I will say that he does seem to be slowly opening up to the idea rather than just "getting greedy" and completely changing philosophy but at some point, we need to start winning again or it doesn't matter.
Originally posted by fzrdave:
Sing is a pragmatic coach. I think he ultimately does what it takes to win. I’d be surprised if he doesn’t open up the offense for Alex Smith.

You would think, right? We will see on Sunday -- I just don't have faith that this is going to happen when I feel like it will be so obvious to do.

Or if we run the ball, how about a stretch? How about a toss? How about a counter? Enough with the dive to the left dive to the right. It's f**king terrible.
Originally posted by Ninerman49:
you are worrying for nothing
Nothing eh? We've lost 3 in a row and 4 of our last 5. The running game is DEAD. The offense is in the bottom 5 of the NFL (with teams like Cleveland, St.Louis, and Oakland). When we get a lead, our coaches get super-conservative, and it has cost us 2 games we should have won. The HC/OC refuse to consistently run a formation that our new Qb has success in.

How is that worrying about nothing?
Share 49ersWebzone