LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 213 users in the forums

Bench Bruce!!!!!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Socal49erFan
  • Info N/A
Isaac Bruce has looked horrible this season. He looks like he needs to be benched. He has only caught 44% of targeted passes (which is pretty bad for a possession receiver), he only converted 27% of targeted passes into 1st downs. Even worse he is second to VD in Targets (27% of all passes came his way)Bruce accounts for 21% of all our pass attempts. What does that mean that when we throw his ass the ball he catches it less than 50% of the time. It is not like he is going deep, these passes are within 15 yards of the line of scrimmage. Without his 50 yarder he is averaging a pedestrian 10.6 yards a catch. The jerk has dropped 3 passes and wiffed on many more.

Compare that to Morgan who has caught 64% of targeted passes. He has caught 40% of his passes for first downs. He has a 15 YPC average which is pretty good. He has a healthy 7.6 YAC average compared to Bruce's paltry 3.2 YAC average.

Think of it this way, Josh Morgan catches an 7.4 yard pass and turns it into 15 yards compared to Bruce taking a 9 yard pass (excluding the 50 yarder) and turning it into a 12.7 yarder (Take away the 50 yard bomb and Bruce drops to 7.3 yards and 10.6 yards). Josh Morgan is more of a threat than Bruce. No wonder they stack the box, they only have to defend VD, Morgan/Crabtree and Gore because Bruce doesnt scare anybody. If we replace Bruce than we can place enough strain on the secondary that they have to have two deep and Gore will face 7 man fronts.
i spy several other threads that this rant could have gone in.
Bruce started slow last season too. Can't explain the dropped balls but he should find his rhythm as soon as the passing game gets going. We'll see Sunday.
i wouldn't say he's "horrible" but agree with the benching. we need to get our WR's reps since Bruce will surely be gone after this season.
  • cools
  • Veteran
Bruce isnt playing well, and as the season moves along, I think we will see Morgan and/or Jones start to take over at Flanker

Coach Sing may be showing him respect as a Vet, in what will probably be his last year

so i doubt we will ever hear any announcement that Bruce is benched
but i expect to see his playing time dramaticly reduced during the 2nd half of the season
Co-signed........... I've been saying this all season.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
i wouldn't say he's "horrible" but agree with the benching. we need to get our WR's reps since Bruce will surely be gone after this season.

I agree, we need to get Jones and Morgan on the field with Crabs more often, but then again The old Rev can still make plays
I agree, Bruce is done, If a team such as the seahawks can Bench RICE, and the Broncos can CUT Rice, then how come we cant Bench BRUCE!? Its only because his name that he is still starting. Would he really Start fo any other team in the NFL? HE IS WASHED UP!
Bruce ain't the future, he's gotta go, especially since this year has reverted back to a rebuilding year. It's kinda hard to play the game safe and expect to win when the Def is giving up more big plays than making 'em. A lot has changed since starting 2-0 and losing to sheer bad luck against Minnnesota. We have the run covered but the passing is killing us. Sorry I strayed from the original topic but, Bruce does have to go, it ain't like he's been much help anyway
Originally posted by MLobsterbush:
I agree, Bruce is done, If a team such as the seahawks can Bench RICE, and the Broncos can CUT Rice, then how come we cant Bench BRUCE!? Its only because his name that he is still starting. Would he really Start fo any other team in the NFL? HE IS WASHED UP!

What Rice are you be speaking of?

i actually thot he was having some family problems, or something like that, where his mind was elsewhere. But even if that were the case, that is no excuse for letting his mind wander and not concentrating 100% on each and every ball thrown his way. I also was reminded of a guy just going thru the paces, with his heart only half in it.

There is absolutely no reason for Craps and Morgan not to be on the field at the same time. Sitting morgan to play bruce is goofy. As noted above, stats don't recommend it, nor does watching the games. Morgan, Craps should be out there all the time, giving alex VD, Frank and 2 really good WRs to throw to. Guys with their hearts or minds not in it, shouldn't be out there. Also, as noted above, we are rebuilding, and our young guys should be playing over our senior citizens, esp, when bruce most likely won't be here next yr.

[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Nov 4, 2009 at 09:51:53 ]
Originally posted by Digger25:
i spy several other threads that this rant could have gone in.
this
Bruce has done well during his prime but he's well done for the niners.
Don't bench him... just reduce his playing time.
Drops are one thing, and bad enough for a future HOF'er, but the apparent lack of effort is more disturbing. I think he's done and knows it. our younger guys need to get on the field and show their worth, esp jones.
Share 49ersWebzone