There are 184 users in the forums

Why is M. Lewis even playing?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
If the NFL was so concerned over concussions, if the Niners cared, he would be on IR for the season. How many concussions is it now in a span of two months? 3, 4? We shouldn't be putting him out there and risk a more severe concussion, since he's shown that he has become severely vulnerable to them. Would it be best for the team? probably not. Roman isn't any better than him, but watching the Indy game, he just didn't bring the same lick that he used to and noticed a few times Spencer jarring with him like he was out of position. I don't think it's safe, I don't think it sends the right message that a team is still willing to put the players health in risk, especially since congress has brought this up as the hot button subject of th hour. I like the guy as a player, but I believe that he needs to retire, or at least sit out the rest of the year.
Originally posted by ninerfan21:
If the NFL was so concerned over concussions, if the Niners cared, he would be on IR for the season. How many concussions is it now in a span of two months? 3, 4? We shouldn't be putting him out there and risk a more severe concussion, since he's shown that he has become severely vulnerable to them. Would it be best for the team? probably not. Roman isn't any better than him, but watching the Indy game, he just didn't bring the same lick that he used to and noticed a few times Spencer jarring with him like he was out of position. I don't think it's safe, I don't think it sends the right message that a team is still willing to put the players health in risk, especially since congress has brought this up as the hot button subject of th hour. I like the guy as a player, but I believe that he needs to retire, or at least sit out the rest of the year.

I totally agree. It's a real tough decision to potentially end someone's career, but we're talking about his life. Someone needs to step up and make that tough decision if Lewis is unwilling to do so. I'd hate to have to be the one who had to make that decision, but it would be infinitely more palatable than having to explain a severe neural injury or worse after the fact. This would be a good time for Scot or Sing to step up and make that call. Lewis might not be happy about it now, but I think he would be very thankful down the road.
Originally posted by fzrdave:

I totally agree. It's a real tough decision to potentially end someone's career, but we're talking about his life. Someone needs to step up and make that tough decision if Lewis is unwilling to do so. I'd hate to have to be the one who had to make that decision, but it would be infinitely more palatable than having to explain a severe neural injury or worse after the fact. This would be a good time for Scot or Sing to step up and make that call. Lewis might not be happy about it now, but I think he would be very thankful down the road.

I understand what you are saying. And I understand that Lewis is a competitor. But he is also a grown man. He and his family need to decide what's best for them.

Players are well informed about the risks of playing football, especially in the NFL. Whether they choose to listen or not is a different story. It is far too easy to ignore the risks when you are driving your Bentley or whatever to the bank to cash those game checks. Nobody made them quit college early and pass on a degree to have a career where their health is in constant jeopardy. I'm not saying Lewis is that type of person, but the attitude is extremely prevelant in the pros.

I remember an interview on local tv in the bay area (channel 7) a few years back where the local sports anchors were asking Phillip Buchanan questions soon after the Raiders drafted him:

News guy: "So Phillip, why did you join the NFL?" (paraphrasing)

Buchanan: "The money."

News guy: "Oh Really? What did you buy with your first check?"

Buchanan: "I bought me an Escalade."

Now I remember those two questions vividly because I rewound it a couple times because I couldn't believe what the f**k I was hearing.

This is a prime example of why education concerning the traps and risks of playing football need to be addressed better. But in this greedy day and age it won't f**king matter anyway.

[ Edited by AXEGRINDER on Nov 3, 2009 at 18:20:29 ]
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:

I understand what you are saying. And I understand that Lewis is a competitor. But he is also a grown man. He and his family need to decide what's best for them.

Players are well informed about the risks of playing football, especially in the NFL. Whether they choose to listen or not is a different story. It is far too easy to ignore the risks when you are driving your Bentley or whatever to the bank to cash those game checks. Nobody made them quit college early and pass on a degree to have a career where their health is in constant jeopardy. I'm not saying Lewis is that type of person, but the attitude is extremely prevelant in the pros.

I remember an interview on local tv in the bay area (channel 7) a few years back where the local sports anchors were asking Phillip Buchanan questions soon after the Raiders drafted him:

Now I remember those two questions vividly because I rewound it a couple times because I couldn't believe what the f**k I was hearing.

This is a prime example of why education concerning the traps and risks of playing football need to be addressed better. But in this greedy day and age it won't f**king matter anyway.

Players notoriously downplay, try to hide injuries just so they can play. They have a hard time coming to a decision to quit do to injury. I don't think you can just trust it to if the player is willing to. Congress doesn't seem to either. Problem is these players want to downplay it or play through it when they don't fully realize the long term consequences and in these cases, the organization and those around the player should force the players hand. I believe this to be one of those cases. The amount of concussions he's had in such a short time period is astonishing and I believe the team is being negligent in allowing him to play.
Well if you think about it, unless you go into broadcasting, or you have some other niche, your life is pretty much done after football. I don't know if a lot of people can live with that (mentally)
Originally posted by FourNine49:
Well if you think about it, unless you go into broadcasting, or you have some other niche, your life is pretty much done after football. I don't know if a lot of people can live with that (mentally)

Tell that to Ronnie Lott or numerous other former NFL players who actually paid attention in college and are successful after football and who can plan more than a few years in front of their faces.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:

LOL no wonder that dude was garbage
Not all concussions are created equally......the medical staff cleared him and he wants to play.
He's getting paid millions of dollars. Get your ass on the field!!!!!!!
Originally posted by boomer49er:
Not all concussions are created equally......the medical staff cleared him and he wants to play.

I know that. But it's proven that once you get one, you become more susceptible to getting more. My point is he's proven that he's become very susceptible to getting them and I don't think it's right to put him out there and putting him at risk in getting a catastrophic concussion.

I think the real question should be

WHY IS MARK ROMAN STILL ON THIS TEAM?
ML was cleared by Dr's to play...I don't believe Singletary would put him out there if he thought his future was in doubt. It's something to watch...and believe me, Coach is keeping an eye on him. I'd say if he sustains another one, he'll be on IR. With Reggie Smith still not back from his groin injury, that leaves us a bit thin at S. Roman can play SS and do a decent job, but he's not ML. Taylor's a rookie and that's asking a lot. Lewis is a fierce competitor, but he'll have to be careful...concussions are cumulative.
Share 49ersWebzone