There are 301 users in the forums

The future of the 49ers...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
So I've been pondering this for the past few weeks here wondering what is the future of this team?? I've come up with two scenarios. 1. Is doom and gloom... 2. The future is bright..

1. Doom and gloom... Alex Smith sucks for the rest of the season, leaving us looking for our next starting QB.. Is it Nate Davis or do we roll the dice and draft one of the young guys? Now Alex's success also depends on if the O-line (which has looked better) can give him time to throw, and if Singletary/Raye take the training wheels off the offense. If Alex struggles and we wind up going 6-10 or 7-9 then we're looking at rebuilding again...

2. Future is bright... Alex performs well.. Leads us to 9 or 10 wins and a shot at making the playoffs. This would be huge for this team. We would have 2 first rounders that can be used any way we se fit! Drafting the BPA or focusing on the O-line. If Sing plays his cards right he can parlay those 2 first into more pics throughout the draft retooling us for years to come..... Thats my best case scenario in my opinion.

Other concerns for me. How long does Gore have left?? I've suggested in the past of trading Gore but damn he's looked good this year when the line blocks for him... But how many good years does he have left.... (trade value??)
-who's gonna step up at wide-out?? Are we set in secondary for years to come, or do we need to re-tool??

All in all if Alex can get his act together and be productive, this team can get really good really quick with the potential of greatness... Just all depends...

[ Edited by jays9ers on Nov 3, 2009 at 13:25:21 ]
So you've been thinking about this for weeks, and you've come up with two paths that this team could take in the future.

1. Bad
2. Good

Congratulations.
Yur right - our success depends on QB play and the O-line. IF ASmith does really well the remainder of the season then we have the chance to shore up both of our lines and try for a legit pass rusher and experienced CB. Then we could have a shot at 12-4, 13-3 records. The wildcard is ASmith. Man, he shocked me in the Houston game. I hope he has turned the corner.
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:
So you've been thinking about this for weeks, and you've come up with two paths that this team could take in the future.

1. Bad
2. Good

Congratulations.

Originally posted by MaliCali:

1. Bad
2. Good

Congratulations.

1. Bad
2. Good

Congratulations.

or

1.Good
2.Bad
Originally posted by 666SF666SF:
Yur right - our success depends on QB play and the O-line. IF ASmith does really well the remainder of the season then we have the chance to shore up both of our lines and try for a legit pass rusher and experienced CB. Then we could have a shot at 12-4, 13-3 records. The wildcard is ASmith. Man, he shocked me in the Houston game. I hope he has turned the corner.

If Alex can continue his good play & grow as year goes we could be in really good shape. Alot depends on the Head Coach & the OC if they can live with being a successful passing team or not
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by 666SF666SF:

If Alex can continue his good play & grow as year goes we could be in really good shape. Alot depends on the Head Coach & the OC if they can live with being a successful passing team or not

It would be great if Alex Smith develops as hoped because then we could use those two first round draft picks to address some real needs. If it plays out like that, then next season the 9ers could get back into that top tier of the NFL.

1. Bad
2. Good

Congratulations.

I think we should run a version of the spread offense. It's what Alex Smith and Crabtree is used to so it would help their strengths. Gore can still make big time runs but we can't rely on him the whole time.

what if alex smith plays well but the playing calling or other factors make us lose, and get us a poor ranking?
good if we get an impact player in free agency this offseason it will look good for next year.
Originally posted by 9erism:
what if alex smith plays well but the playing calling or other factors make us lose, and get us a poor ranking?

If Smith plays well, that is a huge plus going forward. With two firsts in next years draft and some of the emerging stars (Crabtree, Davis) this team could be really good.

1. Bad
2. Good

Congratulations.

Smith to Crabtree

Smith to Davis

Offense is set for a good 5-10 yrs
Share 49ersWebzone