LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 216 users in the forums

Alex Smith, 6th Best QB in the NFL (That's Right!)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by Super5:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Looks like he's 27 out of 46 now...Link

going from 6th to 27th... O....M....G!

good thing there is only one more game left...

Well it looks like Sing made the right decision because he's ahead S.Hill

What about last year when Shaun Hill stepped into an offense the OC actually catered it to his strengths. I have to say, Hill performed well considered Raye didn't do crap to help him out as he did with Smith.

Raye did something to help Smith?? I wasn't aware that Raye attempted to teach the OLine to block. Ohhh wait you must mean that they put the games in Smith's hands. I wouldn't exactly calling that helping Smith. I would call that the Raye extreme. Either the playcalling is run run run punt or pass pass pass punt. No inbetween, no middle ground just extrememes on play calling with no creativity what so ever.

Yeah, Raye didn't do anything with the offense...cough...spread.

ohhhh you mean using the shotgun formation. FYI that is not the spread
Hahahahahaha, No really hahahahaha. Nice try.
listen you can spin stats any which way you want, but the two things about smith that bother me the most are:

1. WINS!

2. Balls thrown away! Yes alex does this well! Sometimes its the right decision, but sometimes he gets rid of it too quickly or when he could have made a play and didn't!
Originally posted by maximill15:
listen you can spin stats any which way you want, but the two things about smith that bother me the most are:

1. WINS!

2. Balls thrown away! Yes alex does this well! Sometimes its the right decision, but sometimes he gets rid of it too quickly or when he could have made a play and didn't!

So you are complaining that Smith gets rid of the ball to quickly while some complain that he holds onto it to long.
I'm very disappointed in my fellow 49er fans. I have come to the conclusion that most niner fans know nothing about football and just want to take about the qb play. Alex Smith has done a heck of a job this season on this horrible assembled team and one of the worst coaching staffs in football. But you guys wanna hype up Nate Davis but put down your #1 overall pick down. DISGRACEFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What about last year when Shaun Hill stepped into an offense the OC actually catered it to his strengths. I have to say, Hill performed well considered Raye didn't do crap to help him out as he did with Smith.

Raye did something to help Smith?? I wasn't aware that Raye attempted to teach the OLine to block. Ohhh wait you must mean that they put the games in Smith's hands. I wouldn't exactly calling that helping Smith. I would call that the Raye extreme. Either the playcalling is run run run punt or pass pass pass punt. No inbetween, no middle ground just extrememes on play calling with no creativity what so ever.

Oh, you just added another thing Raye began to implement more. Also, having Gore and Crabs for every game helps. And Hill's averages are still comparable.
[ Edited by Joecool on Dec 29, 2009 at 3:06 PM ]

Oh, you just added another thing Raye began to implement more. Also, having Gore and Crabs for every game helps. And Hill's averages are still comparable.

Raye never implemented a spread offense. He just used the shotgun formations more often because the OLine couldn't give Smith and the receivers enough time to allow a play to develop downfield. Hill's numbers are comparable to Smith?? Hill has 17TD's???
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Let me give you another set of stats:

Church attendance and beer drinking are both on the rise, therefore one is causing the other, right? Stats can be manipulated to tell whatever story you want. Ask anyone over 10 years old if Alex Smith is a top 10 QB in the NFL. It's better to ask over the phone. It will be less embarrassing that way.
Originally posted by Shaj:

Church attendance and beer drinking are both on the rise, therefore one is causing the other, right? Stats can be manipulated to tell whatever story you want. Ask anyone over 10 years old if Alex Smith is a top 10 QB in the NFL. It's better to ask over the phone. It will be less embarrassing that way.

This thread was started in Nov when Smith took over and had a strong couple of games out of the gates. Now if this was started yesterday I would agree with you, but right now your comments just make you look silly.

Raye never implemented a spread offense. He just used the shotgun formations more often because the OLine couldn't give Smith and the receivers enough time to allow a play to develop downfield. Hill's numbers are comparable to Smith?? Hill has 17TD's???

Yet Hill averaged 6.1 yards per attempt and Alex is averaging 6.2. I'm sure you get more TDs when you throw more because the yards per attempt tell a lot of the story.

• Shemp
  • Hall of Fame

This thread was started in Nov when Smith took over and had a strong couple of games out of the gates. Now if this was started yesterday I would agree with you, but right now your comments just make you look silly.

It only makes me look silly if I didn't know what I was talking about with respect to the proper interpretation of statistics.
lolololol. omg. this made my day

It only makes me look silly if I didn't know what I was talking about with respect to the proper interpretation of statistics.

as long as you we both agree that you are silly
  • nj49erfan
  • Info N/A
Rule of thumb is when you have to describe the stat and most people still don't get it, it's probably not a real stat. Or at least not one any one should care about.

With that said Alex is going to be fine next year. Just not 6th best at anything.
Originally posted by nj49erfan:
Rule of thumb is when you have to describe the stat and most people still don't get it, it's probably not a real stat. Or at least not one any one should care about.

With that said Alex is going to be fine next year. Just not 6th best at anything.

Thats because we are headed straight to the top!
Share 49ersWebzone