LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 331 users in the forums

Alex Smith, 6th Best QB in the NFL (That's Right!)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Well thats my new nickname for Crabtree
If this kid pulls through and lives up to his draft status I will be happy for him and excited about our team I'm going to the thursday night game against the bears and hope to see us do well. Good luck Alex!
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
Call the HOF committee immediately.

lol
I find it amusing that all these "calm down dood" people are the same people that were CROWNING Hill aftter 2 quarters of play in 2007.

Ahh yes...the Webzone double standards are still alive and well.

I just dont get why people cant give props on here. The OP didnt say, "DOOD SMYTHS THE BEZT OV ALL TYMEZ." He just pointed out a simple fact. Just take it for what its worth and move on. No point in pi$$ing in someone else's cheerios.

Anyway kudos to Smith. Keep it up. Lets win some games.

See...? See how easy it is to give props to someone yet be grounded at the same time?
lol how the hell did they come up with that?
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Wow! This has got to be the stupidest thread I have seen in a long time!! #6 best QB based on a BS statistical analysis that has so many loops, holes, and assumptions its damn near silly???

Is everyone reading his argument for why he is the "6th Best QB in the NFL"?? and actually making sense of it?? WOW!

How about we sit back and let the damn kid play AT LEAST THE REST OF THE YEAR before even ranking him?? Get off his nutz, let him prove that he will stay consistent and then we will re-visit this!

AND NO I'M NOT AN A.SMITH HATER! I just think its stupid how people jump loops after 2 good games over any player for that matter.... and to go as far as comparing him with Rothlesburger? Manning? Brady? BREEESSS???? OMFG!

.....there....I'm done venting!

Agreed,
I'm a big Smith supporter but we have to let him play for a while to get a true gauge to see if he's for real or not(like what I see so far).I just hope Singraye doesn't impede or screw him up like Hos/Nol did.

Go Niners
The guy hasn't even won a game this season, and he's the 6th best QB in the NFL???
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by bigmike55:
The guy hasn't even won a game this season, and he's the 6th best QB in the NFL???

True, but it's not his fault that he's played the Texans and Colts back to back on the road, in addition to going against his own OC and HC.
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by lamontb:
come on now we all know dam well he isn't the 6th best qb in the league

Statistically, per unit of performance, he is the 6th most productive QB in the National Football League.

Misleading stat if I ever saw one. He hasn't even started 3 games this year, not to mention hes only started 1 full season. Top QB's in this league:

Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
Drew Brees
Donovan McNabb
Eli Manning
Phillip Rivers (sorry to say)
Big Ben Roethelisberger
Matt Ryan
Aaron Rodgers
Brett Favre
Kurt Warner
Matt Schuab
Joe Flacco

All of those QB's have been 10x's more productive than Smith, no question about it.

By what measure? Here are the rankings based on DVOA:

1. P.Manning
2. D.Brees
3. T.Brady
4. M.Schaub
5. B.Roethlisberger
6. B.Favre
7. T.Romo
8. K.Orton
9. P.Rivers
10. J.Flacco
11. A.Rodgers
12. K.Kolb
13. C.Palmer
14. M.Ryan
15. E.Manning
16. K.Warner
17. C.Henne
18. C.Pennington
19. M.Hasselbeck
20. S.Wallace
21. D.McNabb
22. B.Leftwich
23. J.Campbell
24. D.Garrard
25. J.Cutler
26. T.Edwards
27. M.Bulger
28. K.Boller
29. M.Sanchez
30. S.Hill
31. J.Delhomme
32. M.Stafford
33. K.Collins
34. B.Quinn
35. M.Cassel
36. J.Johnson
37. R.Fitzpatrick
38. D.Culpepper
39. D.Anderson
40. J.Russell

By what measure?? Pro Bowls, Super Bowls, 4,000 yard seasons, pure and complete production. Give me a break, don't take the little statistics Smith has done in two games and try to blow it up, that's absurd and misleading. Smith has improved yes, no doubt about it, but don't sit there and tell me hes the 6th or 7th best QB in the NFL right now off of what he has done.

Right now, this season, Alex Smith has the 6th best numbers for this category -- a stat many consider to be as broad as QB rating but more accurate.

Wow... Then that would make Joseph Addai the best pure passer in the NFL right. I mean he's 1 for 1 for a TD and has a passer rate of 158.3 on the season. Why the hell does Indy keep playing an inferior player at QB when Addai is able to put up these kind of statistics...

Sarcasm aside, you've got to calculate for how many attempts a QB has made. 100% completions when all you've ever attempted was 1 pass does not make you better than a 60% completion guy that's made over 200 attempts. Get what I'm sayin.

I get what you're sayin D, but remember he did qualify the number. Pointing out that Alex was 2 shy of the 59 attempts or completions or...

Basically he extrapolated the stats based on what he was looking at. They use these kind of statistical analysis in Baseball all the time. They are basically a form of Sabermetrics. Even RPs' get measured even though they probably see the field less than a SP in a 5-6 day rotation.

It's credible, but I won't rush out to buy Super Bowl tix and wear my '09 NFCChampionship gear featuring a 9er helmet based on such limited information.

~Ceadder

Thanks. But I didn't even have to extrapolate. They simply didn't apply a ranking to Smith because he was 2 passes short of the cutoff. The threshold rises about 8 passes per week, so he'll be ranked next week.
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Originally posted by lamontb:
come on now we all know dam well he isn't the 6th best qb in the league

Statistically, per unit of performance, he is the 6th most productive QB in the National Football League.

Misleading stat if I ever saw one. He hasn't even started 3 games this year, not to mention hes only started 1 full season. Top QB's in this league:

Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
Drew Brees
Donovan McNabb
Eli Manning
Phillip Rivers (sorry to say)
Big Ben Roethelisberger
Matt Ryan
Aaron Rodgers
Brett Favre
Kurt Warner
Matt Schuab
Joe Flacco

All of those QB's have been 10x's more productive than Smith, no question about it.

By what measure? Here are the rankings based on DVOA:

1. P.Manning
2. D.Brees
3. T.Brady
4. M.Schaub
5. B.Roethlisberger
6. B.Favre
7. T.Romo
8. K.Orton
9. P.Rivers
10. J.Flacco
11. A.Rodgers
12. K.Kolb
13. C.Palmer
14. M.Ryan
15. E.Manning
16. K.Warner
17. C.Henne
18. C.Pennington
19. M.Hasselbeck
20. S.Wallace
21. D.McNabb
22. B.Leftwich
23. J.Campbell
24. D.Garrard
25. J.Cutler
26. T.Edwards
27. M.Bulger
28. K.Boller
29. M.Sanchez
30. S.Hill
31. J.Delhomme
32. M.Stafford
33. K.Collins
34. B.Quinn
35. M.Cassel
36. J.Johnson
37. R.Fitzpatrick
38. D.Culpepper
39. D.Anderson
40. J.Russell

By what measure?? Pro Bowls, Super Bowls, 4,000 yard seasons, pure and complete production. Give me a break, don't take the little statistics Smith has done in two games and try to blow it up, that's absurd and misleading. Smith has improved yes, no doubt about it, but don't sit there and tell me hes the 6th or 7th best QB in the NFL right now off of what he has done.

Right now, this season, Alex Smith has the 6th best numbers for this category -- a stat many consider to be as broad as QB rating but more accurate.

Wow... Then that would make Joseph Addai the best pure passer in the NFL right. I mean he's 1 for 1 for a TD and has a passer rate of 158.3 on the season. Why the hell does Indy keep playing an inferior player at QB when Addai is able to put up these kind of statistics...

Sarcasm aside, you've got to calculate for how many attempts a QB has made. 100% completions when all you've ever attempted was 1 pass does not make you better than a 60% completion guy that's made over 200 attempts. Get what I'm sayin.

That's the logic I was looking for.

Not the same; Addai was a running back makng a trick play. Smith is a quarterback.

• TitanUp
  • Info N/A
That's some funny stuff! Smith just now got his stating job back so to say he is a top 6 QB is crazy! Smith still has a lot to prove.
Originally posted by dman:
Manning
Brady
Brees
Rivers
Rothlisberger

Smith???

Interesting
  • TitanUp
  • Info N/A
So on one thread he is a top QB and on another he is a choke QB.

Originally posted by Reckless:
On First take they were discussing The Saints/Falcons game and the fact they consider Ryan's 3 picks "choke throws".

The 1st and 10 crew said there are few QB's like that in the NFL, Jay Cutler, Philip Rivers, and to an extent, McNabb...

Then for whatever reason they brought up Smith saying in the both games he played he had "choke throws".

I don't know about the rest of the zone, but I don't see Smith as a choke artist.

The Seattle game in '06, then the opener in '07. Plus the chance to really play a full season to show more.
  • jame-gumb
  • Info N/A
Reading comprehension, people. The OP didn't say Smith was the 6th best QB in footbal. He said he ranks 6th in a stat.

If you don't understand that, move on. If you don't understand the stat, move on.
Share 49ersWebzone