LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 244 users in the forums

Alex Smith, 6th Best QB in the NFL (That's Right!)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by susweel:
He'd be the 6th best Qb if there was only 5 QB's in the NFL.

LOL. The only time I don't worry about Alex screwing up the game is the Bye week.
Originally posted by susweel:
He'd be the 6th best Qb if there was only 5 QB's in the NFL.

That would not shock me in the least.
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by nj49erfan:
Rule of thumb is when you have to describe the stat and most people still don't get it, it's probably not a real stat. Or at least not one any one should care about.

With that said Alex is going to be fine next year. Just not 6th best at anything.

Another game has gone by and he's still #1 in red zone QB rating from what I understand. Maybe he'll be 6th best at that next year?

I think it is funny that the haters beleive that anyone who doesn't hate Smith thinks he is going to be the MVP of the league. The truth is the people who are supporting Smith have never said anything along those lines. Most are saying that he showed improvement and progression and deserves to start next season. But hey I guess if you are blind to the improvement and progression that Smith has made then you would be blind to everything else as well.

The word "improvement" is very situation specific. The man improved from an F to a C over the course of 5 years. If I improve from getting 5 DUI's a year down to 3 DUI's a year, do you think that is worthy of excitement? The point is, he may have improved, but he has just cracked an average of 80 passer rating average for the first time in his career, and still has only one 300 yard game, and WAY more INTs than TDs. The list goes on and on. It's not that "haters" hate, they just aren't as delusional as the Smith bandwagoners are.

Alex Smith was already a C his second season.
He played three games before getting hurt the next year with receivers that lead the league in drops and had Jim Hostler as the OC for those three games... And still I'd give him a C for those three games too.

He hasn't played since (unless you count three games with a grade 3 separated shoulder) and is playing better than he was when he last played. Its not an F to a C over 5 years. That happened in less than two years (05 and 06). Having not played a full season since then he's gone from a C to at least a B- or B for half of this season.

He's played in 42 games. You can see the progression unless you make it a point to pretend it hasn't and isn't happening. The first 10 games were an F. The next 10 a D. A C for the next 10, and a C+ to a B throughout the last 10.

Alex has lived through a very unique scenario for an NFL QB (all the "excuses" everyone is always complaining about), is still very young for an NFL player, and doesn't have a huge amount of NFL experience to date.

What he has had is linear progression the more he plays. You cant deny that, if do you lose all credibility with the intellectually honest and most people that actually pay attention. If you are willing to admit that he has progressed and gotten better the more he's played then you can have the opinion that this is it, he's hit the ceiling, and you might even be right about that. But you can't say he hasn't progressed and gotten better throughout his career. He has.
Rule of thumb is when you have to describe the stat and most people still don't get it, it's probably not a real stat. Or at least not one any one should care about.

With that said Alex is going to be fine next year. Just not 6th best at anything.

Another game has gone by and he's still #1 in red zone QB rating from what I understand. Maybe he'll be 6th best at that next year?

I think it is funny that the haters beleive that anyone who doesn't hate Smith thinks he is going to be the MVP of the league. The truth is the people who are supporting Smith have never said anything along those lines. Most are saying that he showed improvement and progression and deserves to start next season. But hey I guess if you are blind to the improvement and progression that Smith has made then you would be blind to everything else as well.

The word "improvement" is very situation specific. The man improved from an F to a C over the course of 5 years. If I improve from getting 5 DUI's a year down to 3 DUI's a year, do you think that is worthy of excitement? The point is, he may have improved, but he has just cracked an average of 80 passer rating average for the first time in his career, and still has only one 300 yard game, and WAY more INTs than TDs. The list goes on and on. It's not that "haters" hate, they just aren't as delusional as the Smith bandwagoners are.

He played three games before getting hurt the next year with receivers that lead the league in drops and had Jim Hostler as the OC for those three games... And still I'd give him a C for those three games too.

He hasn't played since (unless you count three games with a grade 3 separated shoulder) and is playing better than he was when he last played. Its not an F to a C over 5 years. That happened in less than two years (05 and 06). Having not played a full season since then he's gone from a C to at least a B- or B for half of this season.

He's played in 42 games. You can see the progression unless you make it a point to pretend it hasn't and isn't happening. The first 10 games were an F. The next 10 a D. A C for the next 10, and a C+ to a B throughout the last 10.

Alex has lived through a very unique scenario for an NFL QB (all the "excuses" everyone is always complaining about), is still very young for an NFL player, and doesn't have a huge amount of NFL experience to date.

What he has had is linear progression the more he plays. You cant deny that, if do you lose all credibility with the intellectually honest and most people that actually pay attention. If you are willing to admit that he has progressed and gotten better the more he's played then you can have the opinion that this is it, he's hit the ceiling, and you might even be right about that. But you can't say he hasn't progressed and gotten better throughout his career. He has.

Couldn't have said it better myself. The problem is there are those who refuse to see that Smith has progressed.
  • Steve
  • Info N/A
Of course he has improved, but that doesn't make him great. He isn't even good yet. He has gotten better, but is there a cap on how good he can be? Hope he does great and shows enough improvement to win games next year. He hasn't done it this year. Remember Hill, he has a better win/loss record and he is where he should be, backup. When Alex shows that he has a better record than Hill, then we may consider that he has improved enough to lead this team. I figure that we will know by half way through next season or sooner. 2-6 or 3-5 won't be good enough. It needs to be the other way around. If he can do it, I will be in his corner, but if not, the hell with the excuses and ship him out for good. Its up to him.
Originally posted by Steve:
Of course he has improved, but that doesn't make him great. He isn't even good yet. He has gotten better, but is there a cap on how good he can be? Hope he does great and shows enough improvement to win games next year. He hasn't done it this year. Remember Hill, he has a better win/loss record and he is where he should be, backup. When Alex shows that he has a better record than Hill, then we may consider that he has improved enough to lead this team. I figure that we will know by half way through next season or sooner. 2-6 or 3-5 won't be good enough. It needs to be the other way around. If he can do it, I will be in his corner, but if not, the hell with the excuses and ship him out for good. Its up to him.

QBs don't have W/L records.
  • vv9er
  • Veteran
When are you guys, and gals, going to realize that this team is holding Smith back.

Originally posted by Steve:

QBs don't have W/L records.

No but teams do! And Hill loses as a team. Smith loses as Smith.
It's linear with a slope of 0.01
Originally posted by Joecool:
It's linear with a slope of 0.01

that looks like a person talking on a phone that was just told some crazy news

I think this is great! Good for, Alex. He has impressed me greatly over this year. Some good choices, and of course, some bad ones. I am super excited about next year; next year's draft and the chance at the playoffs again.

Playoffs? Playoffs? lol ... love this line

Not only that, but he actually has regressed over a pretty good start. He's back to missing receivers entirely, even when not under duress; throwing too late; poor pocket sense, often running into sacks or not running when he should; staring down receivers and failing to pump fake (accounting for numerous blocked passes); not leading receivers to allow for YAC; hoorendous record of 3rd down conversions, nto to mention converting turnovers into points; the list is right there in front of you and the most disturbing thing is, it's essentially the same list from his very first year! Certainly you can't blame it all on Alex, but a good sum, yes you can. Yes, he's better, but is he better enough? Right now, the answer is no and I'm starting to think it' not going to appreciably improve, at leats not to the point we can call him a premier QB. And it hurts me to say it, 'cause I've always pulled for him.
Originally posted by 4evrfan:

Not only that, but he actually has regressed over a pretty good start. He's back to missing receivers entirely, even when not under duress; throwing too late; poor pocket sense, often running into sacks or not running when he should; staring down receivers and failing to pump fake (accounting for numerous blocked passes); not leading receivers to allow for YAC; hoorendous record of 3rd down conversions, nto to mention converting turnovers into points; the list is right there in front of you and the most disturbing thing is, it's essentially the same list from his very first year! Certainly you can't blame it all on Alex, but a good sum, yes you can. Yes, he's better, but is he better enough? Right now, the answer is no and I'm starting to think it' not going to appreciably improve, at leats not to the point we can call him a premier QB. And it hurts me to say it, 'cause I've always pulled for him.

You forgot to mention his averages are right on par with Hill's averages.
Originally posted by Daa-Doo:
I think this is great! Good for, Alex. He has impressed me greatly over this year. Some good choices, and of course, some bad ones. I am super excited about next year; next year's draft and the chance at the playoffs again.

Playoffs? Playoffs? lol ... love this line

fail....

this thread was made in november when he was the 6th best QB

now he's the 27th

Couldn't have said it better myself. The problem is there are those who refuse to see that Smith has progressed.

progressed what? his hard count? his deep pass is more awful than ever, he still throws bullet passes to somebody standing 4 yards away...uncovered,

the only improved i see from smith, is his pocket presence, he looks better, not like Brady good, but decent if we compare it to what it was when he first came in.

his accuracy is still a question mark, just like it always was. he still stares down receivers, and is very average QB when the pressure gets there (no excuses, Rodgers with the same s**tty OL, and a league leading 48 team drops, still does great when he is pressured by the D).

and it's not like this is his 2nd year, or even 3rd.
Share 49ersWebzone