LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 288 users in the forums

The Singletary Show on KNBR 11/3/09

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by BHulman:
Originally posted by nooj:
I am not convinced. Raye consistently puts his offense in 3rd and long situations and this has been an issue going all the way back to the preseason. No more excuses. Put together a full game, call a decent game for god sakes, and show me don't tell me. Niner fans can't take much more of this flimsy offensive play-calling.

Whether it has been Hill or Smith, what has remained constant is third and long and Jimmy Raye.

I agree, we need to see the O open up, no more excusess and no more fullback runs on 2nd and 20. Every Qb throws int's it is part of the game and Uncle fester needs to just trust in Alex and let him throw the ball. Also we need to mix in some mis-direction plays and more runs to the outside. Our O-line is not the huge brusing type, but it is athletic, so let them pull and run Frank on the edges sometimes. This is frusterating because for the first time in a long time we actually have the tools on offense to do the things we are all talking about, but Raye seems to timid to use the wepons we have. Let's hope that in this next game with the Titans pass D being so weak we open it up and really put it on them. PEACE FROM THE FAN.
What is funny how no one is willing to admit Sing and Raye probably don't have enough confidence in this team to call aggressively.

Everyone wants to open things up!

I think Sing realizes he is going to end up with a lot more beatdowns that way as opposed to more wins

Face the truth guys. Sing is going to try to protect his job so hopefully he can still be around when he has more horses....he is not going to let games run away from him just because you have to see with your own eyes what he already knows.

laughable.
missed the gm but from reading a few posts here did we seriously run a fullback dive on 2nd and 20???
Why 49ers didn't spread it out, and a look at O-line's play

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/11/why-49ers-didnt-spread-it-out-and-a-look-at-o-lines-play.html

Quote:
Raye and the coaches did not have a lot of "exposure" to Smith and Crabtree, and Smith - in turn - did not have a lot of exposure to the "spread" during his offseason work when he was competing against Hill for the starting job. As I understand it, the 49ers have their basic two-minute package that consists of three wide receivers, Davis and Gore. They run many of those plays out of the shotgun formation. But if they want to use that offense during the regular course of the game, they don't have the kind of variety with their play-calling and their adjustments to what the defense is doing. In other words, the 49ers might be able to have success in the short term, but then the defense quickly sees everything the 49ers have to offer and, maybe, there aren't enough adjustments to stay ahead of the curve. I think that's what Singletary meant when he said he wondered aloud if it were wise to put Smith in that situation and whether he was ready for it.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
missed the gm but from reading a few posts here did we seriously run a fullback dive on 2nd and 20???

I think it was a draw play to Norris.
Originally posted by richierich:

looked like a FB counter to me.
Originally posted by BHulman:
Originally posted by nooj:
I am not convinced. Raye consistently puts his offense in 3rd and long situations and this has been an issue going all the way back to the preseason. No more excuses. Put together a full game, call a decent game for god sakes, and show me don't tell me. Niner fans can't take much more of this flimsy offensive play-calling.

Whether it has been Hill or Smith, what has remained constant is third and long and Jimmy Raye.

That is because Raye's playcalling sets up the QB for failure. 1rst down run up the gut for 1 yard. 2nd down run up the gut for 2 yard loss. 3rd down 3 yard screen pass.
Originally posted by oldman9er:

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/11/why-49ers-didnt-spread-it-out-and-a-look-at-o-lines-play.html

Quote:
Raye and the coaches did not have a lot of "exposure" to Smith and Crabtree, and Smith - in turn - did not have a lot of exposure to the "spread" during his offseason work when he was competing against Hill for the starting job. As I understand it, the 49ers have their basic two-minute package that consists of three wide receivers, Davis and Gore. They run many of those plays out of the shotgun formation. But if they want to use that offense during the regular course of the game, they don't have the kind of variety with their play-calling and their adjustments to what the defense is doing. In other words, the 49ers might be able to have success in the short term, but then the defense quickly sees everything the 49ers have to offer and, maybe, there aren't enough adjustments to stay ahead of the curve. I think that's what Singletary meant when he said he wondered aloud if it were wise to put Smith in that situation and whether he was ready for it.

Well then one would think Raye will have to add a chapter or two into that playbook. Realize what your offense excels at and make necessary adjustments. It's not like it's too late for that.
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by richierich:

looked like a FB counter to me.

Doesn't matter, the point is yes we gave in the Moran on 2 & 20 and gained one maybe two yards.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:

Quote:

Well then one would think Raye will have to add a chapter or two into that playbook. Realize what your offense excels at and make necessary adjustments. It's not like it's too late for that.

No, I agree... so... how long would it take to get everyone acclimated comfortably to an expanded playbook that we want?

Alex Smith needs to go off like Steve Young did with SEifert. If the offense is still struggling, Raye and Singletary are still trying to run up the middle for 2 yards, I wouldn't blame smith. If singletary doesn't like it, Alex gets benched and starts fresh on another team. Singletary wouldn't be stupid enough to touch alex if he did blow up. Alex just needs to be a leader and say give me a F**KIng chance coach to throw the f**king ball.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:

Quote:

No, I agree... so... how long would it take to get everyone acclimated comfortably to an expanded playbook that we want?

I don't know and I don't care. It's the players job to get acclimated and the coaches or more specifically the OC's job to draw up the plays to stay ahead of potential defensive scheme adjustments. If by the coaches own admission they didn't want to put Alex in a situation where the defense has an advantage because they've seen and can react successfully to what he and our offense does best, then there's a serious problem, especially given our personell (o-line) situation.

This is a poor excuse. Earn your money, do your job and get creative in a hurry. We don't have time for this s**t. More draw plays and quick outs are not the answer. We have plenty of those imo.

Running Norris up the middle on 2nd and 20 is absolute lunacy. What possible defensive alignment could have warranted such a call? If I were Smith I would have told Raye to go f**k himself and audibled a 20-yard hitch to Crabtree.
The more and more we play and I hear this chump talk I lose all coaching respect for him. Great mentor not a great coach so far
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
He got mad because because the host did not tell all the callers who have been asking Singletary to open up the offense that we pass more than we run.

"You knew that huh, and didn't tell the callers that"?

He said he that if people think we're conservative then he needs to go back and check what conservative means.

Yep..did not like that.

Yeah but you can still technically pass "more" and be conservative. Its HOW you pass. If you have 10 plays and 6 of those are passing but the 6 "passing plays" you have are: screen, screen, screen, quick slant, quick out, HB check down...then yeah its "more passing" but its still conservative.

So I dont buy the whole, "but but we pass more..." so what. Pass more..EFFECTIVELY...i.e. make the passes count and utilize the talent on the roster.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
He got mad because because the host did not tell all the callers who have been asking Singletary to open up the offense that we pass more than we run.

"You knew that huh, and didn't tell the callers that"?

He said he that if people think we're conservative then he needs to go back and check what conservative means.

Yep..did not like that.

Yeah but you can still technically pass "more" and be conservative. Its HOW you pass. If you have 10 plays and 6 of those are passing but the 6 "passing plays" you have are: screen, screen, screen, quick slant, quick out, HB check down...then yeah its "more passing" but its still conservative.

So I dont buy the whole, "but but we pass more..." so what. Pass more..EFFECTIVELY...i.e. make the passes count and utilize the talent on the roster.

co-signed...when Hill got bounced we saw less of that....except in the second half against the Colts when we had a 2 point lead.

[ Edited by AXEGRINDER on Nov 3, 2009 at 21:31:24 ]
Share 49ersWebzone