LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 206 users in the forums

Singletary backs Raye

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Cuphalffull:
Originally posted by TheCatch:
Singletary was also asked why they scrapped the shotgun and 3 widereceiver sets in the second half, and all he kept saying was the coaches and Alex arent ready for that? If this offense we put together is ready for anything, it would be this spread offense. It also covers up our weak line pretty well. IMO.

Agreed, I can understand Sing not throwing Reye under the bus. I can understand being supportive of Reye. I can even understand to a point that Reye is getting to know his player’s strengths. What I can’t understand is that he does not have confidence in his players to run the shotgun/spread as this is the only formation that they have had any success with. This is the only formation that they have been able to sustain drives with. Perhaps, just maybe, this is a formation that suits his players. I would think that success would breed confidence.

Isn’t it that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results?

It's funny, actually. Well sad. But I'd say that Alex Smith and Michael Crabtree have a LOT more success running a spread formation in thie 5 years of college than Jimmy Raye has in his 160 years in the NFL. What aren't they ready for?? They have DONE it!
  • 9ermj
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Cuphalffull:
Originally posted by TheCatch:
Singletary was also asked why they scrapped the shotgun and 3 widereceiver sets in the second half, and all he kept saying was the coaches and Alex arent ready for that? If this offense we put together is ready for anything, it would be this spread offense. It also covers up our weak line pretty well. IMO.

Agreed, I can understand Sing not throwing Reye under the bus. I can understand being supportive of Reye. I can even understand to a point that Reye is getting to know his player’s strengths. What I can’t understand is that he does not have confidence in his players to run the shotgun/spread as this is the only formation that they have had any success with. This is the only formation that they have been able to sustain drives with. Perhaps, just maybe, this is a formation that suits his players. I would think that success would breed confidence.

Isn’t it that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results?

Exactly, at least so far Smith in the Shotgun has been the most effective the O has looked in years, running to keep the D honest only works if you can actually run the ball so far they can't
  • hopeforniners
  • Info N/A
I really hope, this is just a public persona, but internally he is fuming and asking Raye to change his ways.
If I dont see improvement in the play calling over the next few games, I'll also be chanting for Sing's replacement. Enough is enough.
Why is it that our offense has sucked for 7 years now and no one feels like it needs to be improved.
You guys are way overreacting. Of course he's gonna say that, what you expect him to say, he will be gone at the end of the season (raye).
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
You guys are way overreacting. Of course he's gonna say that, what you expect him to say, he will be gone at the end of the season (raye).

Well I am tired of waiting until NEXT SEASON for things to get better. That's been this teams motto for way too long long.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
We have been rooting for our team thru 6 losing seasons, please make this year be the end to the drought.
Im so sick of Sing.

Is he just stubborn or actually mentally retarded???
Sing almost has to back Raye. Like Nolan backed Davis and Hostler during the year when they came under fire. Few fans want to criticize Singletary, and woudl much rather attack Raye. I'm one of them. However, this offense is Singletary's fault. It was his choice.

Sing is backing him b/c the offense is Singletary's fault. He fired Martz. He seemed so meddlesome about the offense, Linehan turned us down to go coordinate the Lions' offense, and other candidates didn't even interview, and in true Raider-fashio, Singletary was forced to scrape the bottom of the barrell for Raye. Raye is just happy to have an OC job. He'll do what SIng says to do. Oh, and Sing's offense is abysmal. Near the bottom of the NFL. The responsibility falls on the HC that hired the "just happy to be here" puppet OC.

The offense just cant' do what he wants. After the last 2 games, reporters keep pointing out that the offense plays the best in the 3WR, 1TE, 1 RB formation, particuarly with Smith in the shotgun. Singletary pretends not to notice and acts like he is protecting the QB and the OL from having to spread it out b/c they aren't ready for it.

The truth is that he is being conservative and uncreative and that is exactly what he wants. He doens't like that the more spreaad out, more downfield passing game is working and the running game is dead. He doesn't like it b/c it's risky and it forces him to do things he doesn't feel comfortable doing. Well, that is what good coaches do--they adjust. Look at Belicheater in NE--his D is moving more and more into a 4/3 b/c of personnel. Look at Sparano in Miami--he wanted a grind it out offense, and instead is known for making big plays from running a gimmicky trick formation.

In the coming games, we'll see what kind of coach Sing is. If he can change the offense into one that better fits our personnel, he may be a lot more than a great motivator and leader. Will he let himself do that even though he isn't comfortable with it?
I asked Mike Singletary why they scrapped the shotgun formation and three-receiver sets in the second half. He said it's because the coaches have not had much "exposure" to Smith, and Smith has not had much "exposure" to that portion of the playbook.

Said Singletary: "You don't want to put him in a situation where, 'OK, is Alex really ready to do that?' You take a step back. 'Is our offensive line really ready to do that?' Once you do that then there are some things that are not happening, which you say, 'Well, maybe it's the core of your offense.' I think going forward, there's a trust issue there and there's also using wisdom and making sure that if we are going to put them in that situation, why are we putting them in that situation, when do we put them in that situation and is Alex really ready for that?

more here:

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/11/singletary-backs-rayes-playcalling.html

Why is it that NO and ATL are able to get 5 yard runs almost every carry and we can't? Their OL isn't elite and they aren't considered a "smash mouth" team, the reason is they STRETCH the field, you don't see the D stacking 8-9 men in the box. Can't you realize this Sing? It's the NFL you need to trust Smith, if not we will never succeed.

[ Edited by BirdmanJr on Nov 3, 2009 at 09:10:12 ]
Originally posted by DownSouth:
Sing almost has to back Raye. Like Nolan backed Davis and Hostler during the year when they came under fire. Few fans want to criticize Singletary, and woudl much rather attack Raye. I'm one of them. However, this offense is Singletary's fault. It was his choice.

Sing is backing him b/c the offense is Singletary's fault. He fired Martz. He seemed so meddlesome about the offense, Linehan turned us down to go coordinate the Lions' offense, and other candidates didn't even interview, and in true Raider-fashio, Singletary was forced to scrape the bottom of the barrell for Raye. Raye is just happy to have an OC job. He'll do what SIng says to do. Oh, and Sing's offense is abysmal. Near the bottom of the NFL. The responsibility falls on the HC that hired the "just happy to be here" puppet OC.

The offense just cant' do what he wants. After the last 2 games, reporters keep pointing out that the offense plays the best in the 3WR, 1TE, 1 RB formation, particuarly with Smith in the shotgun. Singletary pretends not to notice and acts like he is protecting the QB and the OL from having to spread it out b/c they aren't ready for it.

The truth is that he is being conservative and uncreative and that is exactly what he wants. He doens't like that the more spreaad out, more downfield passing game is working and the running game is dead. He doesn't like it b/c it's risky and it forces him to do things he doesn't feel comfortable doing. Well, that is what good coaches do--they adjust. Look at Belicheater in NE--his D is moving more and more into a 4/3 b/c of personnel. Look at Sparano in Miami--he wanted a grind it out offense, and instead is known for making big plays from running a gimmicky trick formation.

In the coming games, we'll see what kind of coach Sing is. If he can change the offense into one that better fits our personnel, he may be a lot more than a great motivator and leader. Will he let himself do that even though he isn't comfortable with it?

Great post. No matter what Raye does and how much fans hate is guts....in the end...it starts and ends with our HC...Sing. Sing has the final say on what goes and what doesn't......Seems like we might need a new HC to go to the next level.

Some coaches are good at putting the pieces together and others are better off taking the team to the next level.

Originally posted by sacleads:
Originally posted by DownSouth:

Great post. No matter what Raye does and how much fans hate is guts....in the end...it starts and ends with our HC...Sing. Sing has the final say on what goes and what doesn't......Seems like we might need a new HC to go to the next level.

Some coaches are good at putting the pieces together and others are better off taking the team to the next level.

So far, Raye's offense looks like Hostler's offense. Boring, predictable and ineffective. Singletary's choices were conservative, much like Nolan's. But, Singletary has things Nolan just didn't have--leadership skills, the ability to inspire men to work harder, a willingness to play younger players, and an honesty toward the players themselves.

We'll see if Singletary will change while it still matters, where Nolan didn't. Singletary just has to get over his fear of opening up the offense. So far, his idea of opening up the offese is to throw a hitch or WR screen on early downs. That just isn't aggressive playcalling.

Yes, our OL is beat up, but would you rather throw the intermediate routes on 1st and 2nd downs or would you rather wait until it's 3rd and long? It's interesting that the conservative choice (waiting until 3rd down) also puts more pressure on the OL and QB the HC isn't sure can handle it. LOL.

We'll see what Singletary is made of soon. If the offense struggles all year, I expect the brass to pressure him to fire/demote Raye.
Well from the articles I've been reading today (although most of it is rehash), Singletary is now in the spotlight.

As the article indicates and most will agree that he can motivate, but can he coach?

One can only motivate for so long, but it's a funny thing when you start losing. Your team stops believing in you. Just ask Mike Nolan!

Personally I like Mike Singletary and I think he's good for the 49er's. But his idea of smash mouth football when he doesn't have the personnel to do it with is NOT helping him pad his resume.

Besides if you look closely at the last 5 games of last year, you'll note that with the exception of the New York Jets, he didn't beat anyone noteworthy.

Rams, Bills, Jets, Rams and the Redskins. Where are they now in their divisions?

His smash mouth run em' over approach may have work with those teams, but now he's running into more formidable opponents ... and it doesn't work!

The sooner he realizes that, the better off he'll be.
Share 49ersWebzone