LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 151 users in the forums

When does a coaching staff lose its players?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
When does a coaching staff lose the players? When the players stop believing the staff is doing the right thing to win games. You have to wonder if doubts aren't creeping into the players' minds about the offensive philoposhy:

1. Insisiting on running inside when its not working
2. Playing conservative to protect small leads

If we can see the flaws, you have to believe the players are going to get frustrated with it. When do they stop viewing Singeltary as a strong leader, and instead see him as just plain obstinate? I don't know how they view Raye, but their confidence in him has to be slipping also.
Ihave never been in the pro sports business, but just thinking in terms of human nature & work...

When you are working your ass off & not achieving success, you start looking at the bigger picture of your organization if you have a brain & desire to succeed. If you start to think your own management incompotence is setting you up to fail, then your desire to work hard suddenly crashes hard. You start seeing work as just a paycheck until you get a better gig, and rather pointless to care too much about success until you find a job that matters.
if we continue this prehistoric game plan ever week i give them another week or two before a player speaks out. it must be frustrating to the players that know they can win. whenever we get more in a spread formation with alex in the shotgun we move the ball furiously, theyve proven that the last two games. all the players know that, the coaches for some reason dont get it. i hope they see it soon before they start having internal problems because i think our team has a lot of talent on offense that is not being used correctly. even our line looks good in these formations because smith gets the ball out so quickly, frank busted off 5 and 8 yard runs during these situations. it should be a no brainer
It took Nolan a few years to lose this team. Singletary hasn't lost it yet. The effort was there in yesterday's game, and it was quite obvious.

At some point -- it will come. If it doesn't -- and the Niners keep losing -- I would say that Singletary will probably lose the team's attention where they've played their way out of playoff contention next season.
Originally posted by HearstFan:
When does a coaching staff lose the players? When the players stop believing the staff is doing the right thing to win games. You have to wonder if doubts aren't creeping into the players' minds about the offensive philoposhy:

If we can see the flaws, you have to believe the players are going to get frustrated with it. When do they stop viewing Singeltary as a strong leader, and instead see him as just plain obstinate? I don't know how they view Raye, but their confidence in him has to be slipping also.

Who in the hell do you think put a kid who was coming off of a serious injury as well as facing criticism as one of the biggest bust in the history of the NFL draft, in a position to revive his career????? Who did it???? The same people that you are criticizing!

Even the most pass oriented teams run the ball in the middle in order to keep the defense honest. At least this team has a back WHO HAS BROKEN A RECORD FOR NUMBER OF 60+ YARD RUNS!!!!

Moreover, they threw the ball NEARLY THREE TIMES AS MUCH AS THEY RAN!

Smith has not even demonstrated that he can manage a game winning drive yet, but some of you act like he is Moses. Give him, the coaches and the other players a chance to continue to grow!!!
  • JC49
  • Veteran
"When does a coaching staff lose the players?"

When the head coach explains the loss by saying "we're a young team". Sounds like blaming the players to me. Hard to swallow when the coaching staff has done as much, if not more, to give away games.

Well coached teams don't make the mistakes that cost you the win. Singletary's whole pound the ball, play good defense philosophy also requires mistake free football. You can't win playing conservatively to keep things close if you can't control the game in the key moment or avoid the losing blunder. And how many times is Alex going to have to call the play or take a delay of game because they can't get him the plays? That's just embarrassing.
Originally posted by ttime1:

Who in the hell do you think put a kid who was coming off of a serious injury as well as facing criticism as one of the biggest bust in the history of the NFL draft, in a position to revive his career????? Who did it???? The same people that you are criticizing!

Even the most pass oriented teams run the ball in the middle in order to keep the defense honest. At least this team has a back WHO HAS BROKEN A RECORD FOR NUMBER OF 60+ YARD RUNS!!!!

Smith has not even demonstrated that he can manage a game winning drive yet, but some of you act like he is Moses. Give him, the coaches and the other players a chance to continue to grow!!!

With the way things were going with Hill, it didn't take a genius to turn to your only other real option...
  • Mex49

I'm really happy you have decided to start following the 49ers but the rest of us have been witness to this kind of cock sucking for the last 7 years. Time is up
Originally posted by JC49:
"When does a coaching staff lose the players?"

When the head coach explains the loss by saying "we're a young team". Sounds like blaming the players to me. Hard to swallow when the coaching staff has done as much, if not more, to give away games.

Well coached teams don't make the mistakes that cost you the win. Singletary's whole pound the ball, play good defense philosophy also requires mistake free football. You can't win playing conservatively to keep things close if you can't control the game in the key moment or avoid the losing blunder. And how many times is Alex going to have to call the play or take a delay of game because they can't get him the plays? That's just embarrassing.

What are you talking about???? Those were Alex's responsibilities. Against the Texans, he did not look over to the sideline when they were screaming at him to call timeout. The one yesterday, he admitted that it took too long for them to get out of the huddle. Bottom line though, it is the QB's responsibility to Not get a delay of game penalty!!!

In three of the four losses, the team has failed to execute at key moments of the game. Sing is right, this team has not demonstrated an ability to win and make mistakes. Thus, you can't take as many risks as you would like to take until the team has matured.

[ Edited by ttime1 on Nov 2, 2009 at 14:37:29 ]
Originally posted by Mex49:

I'm really happy you have decided to start following the 49ers but the rest of us have been witness to this kind of cock sucking for the last 7 years. Time is up

I have been a fan for over 25 years when Gene Washington was playing. But it doesn't matter as I have seen how teams grow to become winners. This is the most competitive this team has been in years and the prospects of getting better is pretty favorable.

Soon. When you keep doing the same sht over and over and you lose because of it (See: Nolan, Mike), you lose players.
I don't see how this thread relates to Coach Singletary. Half way through his first year? Give me a break

Typical over reaction Mondays!!!
a coach loses his players the same as a manager at any job loses his employees. Making bad decision, not respect the players or just not meshing well.
Sing has meshed very well with the personality of this team, I believe they buy into what he is selling and also understand an important fact here, the 9ers are not yet a top tier team in the NFL. They are fighting to be a playoff team but most importantly believe in Sing's long term vision of the team. Not to be overlooked is the fact that the franchise seems more legit and better run now that Jed is running the show.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I can see the team tuning Singletary out if they keep losing.
Originally posted by Mex49:

Time is up? What's gonna happen now?
Share 49ersWebzone