LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 266 users in the forums

On the cusp

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
Or a lot further than some people think.

....or a lot closer

We couldn't beat a team that didn't score a rushing TD or a passing TD (from their QB) and we lost.

Our offense is much worse.

However, Alex looks like the real deal.

It would be one thing if that team was not that good, but the Colts are about as balanced a team as you will find. Not saying a loss is ok, because its not. I'm just saying that this team, with all its problems offensively, is still competing with the best teams in the league. When this offense gets going, we are going to be dangerous for a long time.
49er's defense is one of the top defenses in the league, while their offense is one of the lowest offenses in the league.

That's what I call a BALANCED team, what more do you want!

Run, Run Raye is gonna keep them out of the playoffs!

< Is this what Singletary calls SMASH MOUTH football?
.................. If you don't succeed, KEEP IT UP!
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by djutberg:
Not sure that I would characterize the Niner moves over the last 2 seasons as 'nothing' . . . sometimes the best deal is one that you don't make. (Such as vastly overpaying for a mediocre player or reaching for a 'need' position in the draft) Bear in mind that we also own Carolina's first-round selection in the upcoming draft.

Michael Crabtree and Justin Smith rest = nothing

One of the things that Tony Dungy always emphasized was the importance of improving the current team vs. re-building from scratch. (Both in Tampa and Indianapolis) Most of the pieces are already in place for SF . . . they just need some time to develop and groove-in so that we can make those 2-3 additional plays per game that turn losses into wins.

Need time to develop? We've been developing for the past 4 years now. How long is this development program?

I joked a few years ago that the 49ers were on the 10 year rebuilding plan. But the scary thing is that may end up coming true.
  • Blitz
  • Veteran

That's true too. Case in point...I think the Seachickens had a lot of really close games last year too.
  • Blitz
  • Veteran

....or a lot closer

We couldn't beat a team that didn't score a rushing TD or a passing TD (from their QB) and we lost.

It would be one thing if that team was not that good, but the Colts are about as balanced a team as you will find. Not saying a loss is ok, because its not. I'm just saying that this team, with all its problems offensively, is still competing with the best teams in the league. When this offense gets going, we are going to be dangerous for a long time.

I would agree that the group of Gore, VD, Craps and Smith (if he continues improving, and becomes consistent) is looking like it could turn out to be very dynamic for quite a few years for us. I'd give my right arm for some consistent o-line play, both run and pass.
Originally posted by Blitz:

....or a lot closer

I would agree that the group of Gore, VD, Craps and Smith (if he continues improving, and becomes consistent) is looking like it could turn out to be very dynamic for quite a few years for us. I'd give my right arm for some consistent o-line play, both run and pass.

We have an offense full of veterans except for Crabtree. There is no excuse anymore. We need to win these games. There is nothing we can take from the Minnesota loss and there's nothing we can take from this loss because the next team we play will be a different team requiring different game planning. Looking back, we lost and that's it.

VD, Gore, the OL and our QB are all veterans. No excuses.
Looking closer, I'm not sure that we are that much better than recent past.

Perhaps individual skill players are showing a bit more and that skews our perception a bit.

Last year (2008) our offense was ranked 23rd in YPG and our defense 13th in YPG.
Our record after seven games was 2-5.

This year (so far) our offense is ranked 27th in YPG and our defense 20th in YPG.
Our record after those seven games in 3-4.

Other than Crabtree, Bly, Brandon Jones (non factor) and Pashos (now on IR) and Alex Smith being healthy the roster is almost identical.

There is a lot of football left to be played, but I've been whacked over the head by this team losing so much for the past seven+ years that it will take more than a fiery head coach to convince me that we are 'on the cusp' of anything even remotely resembling greatness.

....or a lot closer

Do you possibly think that having the same QB for a few games with a couple of playmakers will make this offense actually better?
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:

....or a lot closer

Do you possibly think that having the same QB for a few games with a couple of playmakers will make this offense actually better?

Only time will tell. The evidence we have from the past 4+ years says 'no'.

But it would be great.
Originally posted by krizay:
Not sure that I would characterize the Niner moves over the last 2 seasons as 'nothing' . . . sometimes the best deal is one that you don't make. (Such as vastly overpaying for a mediocre player or reaching for a 'need' position in the draft) Bear in mind that we also own Carolina's first-round selection in the upcoming draft.

Michael Crabtree and Justin Smith rest = nothing

One of the things that Tony Dungy always emphasized was the importance of improving the current team vs. re-building from scratch. (Both in Tampa and Indianapolis) Most of the pieces are already in place for SF . . . they just need some time to develop and groove-in so that we can make those 2-3 additional plays per game that turn losses into wins.

Need time to develop? We've been developing for the past 4 years now. How long is this development program?

Patience. The 9ers started in a mighty deep hole. That 2004 team absolutely had no talent whatsoever other than an aging Bryant Young and even less than an expansion team. That team was arguably the least talented team to have ever suited up in the modern era of the NFL. So while the 9ers haven't completely dug themselves out of that hole just yet, they have made significant improvements. Next season is going to be the season where the 9ers become true Super Bowl contenders again.

• Blitz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Blitz:

....or a lot closer

We have an offense full of veterans except for Crabtree. There is no excuse anymore. We need to win these games. There is nothing we can take from the Minnesota loss and there's nothing we can take from this loss because the next team we play will be a different team requiring different game planning. Looking back, we lost and that's it.

VD, Gore, the OL and our QB are all veterans. No excuses.

I don't have any excuse, in fact, I'll be quite clear. The o-line lacks talent, and that includes "veterans". Some of them may as well be rooks, the play is the same. End of story. It needs major upgrading. It's not just those two games, in fact, even if we won those 2 games and went to the playoff's, I would not be putting my money on this team, no sir, not with this o-line. Only a nutcase would ignore their inability to run block and pass protect consistently, over a 2.5 year span, even if we were winning. That's not an excuse, it's just the way it has been for 2.5 years, one crappy ass o-line after another (I have fully accepted that this team is really going nowhere until some new blood is brought in on the o-liine), that is a FACT, not an excuse. And, losing big games like Minny and Indy is exactly what one would come to expect to happen if you were losing in the trenches. Now, I dispute your claim that there is nothing that can be taken from those loses. Indeed, both of those games featured our now very recognizable o-line play of the last 2.5 years.

[ Edited by Blitz on Nov 2, 2009 at 14:54:31 ]
The key difference that I have noticed between this season and last year is that all of our losses (save for the blowout vs. Atlanta) was by one score or less.

Fundamentally, this means that we were one decisive play away from wins in 3 of 4 losses. In the end, the record is the record. However, I view this as a harbinger that the 49ers are on the cusp of big things in the near future.

I am still quite hopeful about making the playoffs this year, but am also upbeat about the prospects for next year, since a few more tweaks, a little better play timing, and one more big play per game can take the team from middle of the pack to elite.

Overall, I think that the next level is a lot closer than most people think.

Completely agree! Great post! Go 49ers!
Share 49ersWebzone