There are 108 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

On the cusp

The key difference that I have noticed between this season and last year is that all of our losses (save for the blowout vs. Atlanta) was by one score or less.

Fundamentally, this means that we were one decisive play away from wins in 3 of 4 losses. In the end, the record is the record. However, I view this as a harbinger that the 49ers are on the cusp of big things in the near future.

I am still quite hopeful about making the playoffs this year, but am also upbeat about the prospects for next year, since a few more tweaks, a little better play timing, and one more big play per game can take the team from middle of the pack to elite.

Overall, I think that the next level is a lot closer than most people think.
Or a lot further than some people think.
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:

....or a lot closer
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:

....or a lot closer

or already there

....or a lot closer

We couldn't beat a team that didn't score a rushing TD or a passing TD (from their QB) and we lost.

Our offense is much worse.

However, Alex looks like the real deal.

How could they be further away if they are one score away from winning 3 of the 4 losses? In previous years the majority of our losses would've been more like the Atlanta game, as opposed to the Indianpolis game. We've made some strides and now what we need to do is learn how to finish games and build upon our leads.

We are actually expecting to win game now. Many people on the board predicted an ugly blowout, but we were leading the Colts all the way into the 4th quarter. We are very close to where we should be (a winning, top 10 team). But as I said before, this team has to learn how to finish and to build upon leads.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by djutberg:
The key difference that I have noticed between this season and last year is that all of our losses (save for the blowout vs. Atlanta) was by one score or less.

Fundamentally, this means that we were one decisive play away from wins in 3 of 4 losses. In the end, the record is the record. However, I view this as a harbinger that the 49ers are on the cusp of big things in the near future.

I am still quite hopeful about making the playoffs this year, but am also upbeat about the prospects for next year, since a few more tweaks, a little better play timing, and one more big play per game can take the team from middle of the pack to elite.

Overall, I think that the next level is a lot closer than most people think.

It looks good on paper. But who really knows how close it is. We aren't the only team with a chance to improve after this year. Even still we aren't guaranteed to improve after this year. We did nothing last year to improve. Scotty was in charge of the last 2 drafts and outside of Crabtree we really got nothing. Free agency. Nothing!

While I too like the direction we are headed. We don't know how close we are. But I always thought 2010 was the earliest we'd see what we are about.

This offseason is the time to go for broke. Get us over the hump. Or it might be a few more years to wait.
Not sure that I would characterize the Niner moves over the last 2 seasons as 'nothing' . . . sometimes the best deal is one that you don't make. (Such as vastly overpaying for a mediocre player or reaching for a 'need' position in the draft) Bear in mind that we also own Carolina's first-round selection in the upcoming draft.

One of the things that Tony Dungy always emphasized was the importance of improving the current team vs. re-building from scratch. (Both in Tampa and Indianapolis) Most of the pieces are already in place for SF . . . they just need some time to develop and groove-in so that we can make those 2-3 additional plays per game that turn losses into wins.
  • Luca
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:

....or a lot closer

We couldn't beat a team that didn't score a rushing TD or a passing TD (from their QB) and we lost.

I agree Alex has looked good, I am glad for him.

....or a lot closer

Isn't your support like death to a QB's career?

Originally posted by D_Niner:

....or a lot closer

I have supported every starting QB until they begin to suck. I'm a Niner fan first and won't accept crap play. Having said that, what Alex has shown in terms of FBI and leadership has surprised the s**t out of me.
Originally posted by D_Niner:

....or a lot closer

I have supported every starting QB until they begin to suck. I'm a Niner fan first and won't accept crap play. Having said that, what Alex has shown in terms of FBI and leadership has surprised the s**t out of me.

Players improve...it happens, though some here are still trying to reject the idea. As a former Smith basher, it is very respectable to admit when you are mistaken. Some guys on these boards are having a very difficult time coming to terms with the idea that a player can become something better if he works hard at it.
I agree.

Our Defense is one of the top defenses in the league. We have playmakers at almost every position (may need some help with the secondary, safety in particular).

Our Offense, on the other hand, has playmakers (Gore, Davis, Crabtree, Morgan at times), but our line needs A LOT of help and obviously our playcalling and OC.

If we tweak our offense to fit our players strengths this year and hopefully in the off season and the future, we will be a contender for the playoffs every year.
The optimist in me says: yeah, they are getting closer

The realist in me says: Many crappy teams are on the "cusp" of being a contender in the eyes of their fans. But some of those teams stay at that marginal level every season because they never seem to improve all the areas of need.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by djutberg:
Not sure that I would characterize the Niner moves over the last 2 seasons as 'nothing' . . . sometimes the best deal is one that you don't make. (Such as vastly overpaying for a mediocre player or reaching for a 'need' position in the draft) Bear in mind that we also own Carolina's first-round selection in the upcoming draft.

Michael Crabtree and Justin Smith rest = nothing

One of the things that Tony Dungy always emphasized was the importance of improving the current team vs. re-building from scratch. (Both in Tampa and Indianapolis) Most of the pieces are already in place for SF . . . they just need some time to develop and groove-in so that we can make those 2-3 additional plays per game that turn losses into wins.

Need time to develop? We've been developing for the past 4 years now. How long is this development program?