There are 147 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

How do you think Alex Smith did today?

Missed a few throws, but only less then a handful; for him is a huge improvement from the last time he started. Peyton had more overthrows then Alex, which is something I would have never guessed to say.

Anyways, there were some pretty bad drops, but mostly Alex looks like a different QB out there then he has before. He seems a lot more composed, but our playcalling is killing our offense. Spread it out, even the f**king announcers were saying that s**t all game long.
I think he's been playing fine. Give him some protection, and throw in a competent OC, and he might have a chance at becoming a star.

[ Edited by blunt_probe on Nov 1, 2009 at 14:38:03 ]
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
He played better than I expected with the O-line issues and the dropped passes.

I am glad he's finding Crabtree, who had 6 receptions for 80 yards. Solid numbers for a rookie.

I'd like to see Bruce out in favor of Jones and Hill at the WR positions. Alex Smith worked mostly with Jones and Hill in training camp, and chemistry is very important between the QB and WR.
Looked real good, lets see if he can keep this up and be consistent. Raye is killing Smith tho
Originally posted by Method:
Missed a few throws, but only less then a handful; for him is a huge improvement from the last time he started. Peyton had more overthrows then Alex, which is something I would have never guessed to say.

Anyways, there were some pretty bad drops, but mostly Alex looks like a different QB out there then he has before. He seems a lot more composed, but our playcalling is killing our offense. Spread it out, even the f**king announcers were saying that s**t all game long.

I counted 4 BAD throws and 3 really bad drops - 2 by Bruce. I think a very good day for Alex - The real question is why when the 49ers were having success in the spread shotgun offense didn't they stay in that formation? Singletary has GOT to get over this Nolan like obsession/idea that 14 points should win a football game in today's game. To beat the Colts you need to put up 24 points and press the ball at all times - You can NEVER have to many points against Peyton Manning.

singletary want to run the ball can't blame it on raye.

We should of kept Martz if that was the case but Singletary want to run the ball which equals Raye.

Singletary picked him which would equal to his responsibility won't you agree?

It's going to get better let Smith get comfortable with the offense.
he played well most of the game, but we need better protection and less predictable plays that are called.
I give him C+ or B- rating. Did some good things, but still misses high sometimes. The one interception was not crucial to the outcome so I can live with that. If he was allowed more opportunities by the play calling, he could have pulled this game out IMO.
He played ok, some nice throws and some really bad ones. He threw a sure pick that a defender dropped on one play he over threw Bruce. Other than that he looked pretty good out there.
One thing I noticed was on that drive we had an interception, we were passing almost every down and had a few good runs in between. After that pick, next drive or two we did the Hostler*.

*Hostler now has his own play calling system: run run pass punt
  • Apone
  • Veteran
I think he played well. He looks much more relaxed and composed, just looks much smarter overall. Now if the coaching staff would just open the play book, instead of running plays like a FB counter on 3rd and long on second down.
All in all, it was a fairly good day for him. His receivers dropped a few that they shouldn't have and his interception was off a deflection, so he was on the cusp of a very good day. That one series at the end of the 2nd quarter was outstanding. There was definitely a lot of good to build upon and not much bad to address.
He did ok, I think he will get better from here on out. He should develop more chemistry with our receivers after this.
He played well enough for us to win. He looked great in the hurry up offense situation. I wanted .to see him get a chance to get the ball back. He had a few misses here and there but the OL was garbage(4 sacks), Bruce dropped 2 catchable balls(one went right through his hands and should've DEFINITELY been caught), Crabtree fumbled and killed that one drive, Baas wiped out a 20 yard pass on a hold(which wasn't a good call IMO when they showed the replay), I don't know. I thought he did good. I'm already on the bandwagon. Vs the 6th ranked pass D in the NFL he did a good job. It's a shame some of the penalties set drives back(like the Baas hold or the VD false start), other wise I'm confident Smith could've gotten us in the end zone again eventually. Raye's play calling is freaking retarded and way too conservative. Give Smith and Gore something to work with. This is ridiculous.
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:

singletary want to run the ball can't blame it on raye.

We should of kept Martz if that was the case but Singletary want to run the ball which equals Raye.

Singletary picked him which would equal to his responsibility won't you agree?

It's going to get better let Smith get comfortable with the offense.