There are 246 users in the forums

Penalties and Special Teams Beat Us Every Time!!!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I can't believe how many stupid penalties we keep getting in critical situations. We keep losing out on scoring opportunities, and giving the opposing team's offense second chances. The same goes for our special teams; we seem to always end up with horrible field position, and give away field position due to poor judgement by punt returners, dumb penalties, and breakdowns in coverage. Once again, we should have won the game, but we need to capitalize in key situations, and we seem to shoot ourselves in the foot. I don't blame this one on Alex. There were some dropped balls, the tipped pass and the Crabtree fumble. He needs to get more help on the field than he got today. And Jimmy Raye has got to be willing to attack down the field. We are in 3rd and long way too much! When do we get an OC who can call a good game for 4 quarters?
Originally posted by 49erfanatic:
I can't believe how many stupid penalties we keep getting in critical situations. We keep losing out on scoring opportunities, and giving the opposing team's offense second chances. The same goes for our special teams; we seem to always end up with horrible field position, and give away field position due to poor judgement by punt returners, dumb penalties, and breakdowns in coverage. Once again, we should have won the game, but we need to capitalize in key situations, and we seem to shoot ourselves in the foot. I don't blame this one on Alex. There were some dropped balls, the tipped pass and the Crabtree fumble. He needs to get more help on the field than he got today. And Jimmy Raye has got to be willing to attack down the field. We are in 3rd and long way too much! When do we get an OC who can call a good game for 4 quarters?

We run 2 HB dive plays for 2 yards each, then expect the QB to make up the difference.
Yes they hurt us today again.
Vs the Texans Battle's dropped punt on the 9 yard line killed us. Bad field position has made it way harder to score. Then Jones f**ks up and takkes the ball on the 6 instead of letting it go into the end zone for a touch back. I miss Rossum so bad, he wasn't great anymore but he was a hell of a lot better than this. The only positive is M-Rob as a KR.

Penalties suck too. I don't understand why we commit so many of them when we didn't commit hardly any penalties last year. Singletary supposedly stressed that all TC, he stressed it when he took over last year, and now we can't stop committing stupid penalties that hurt us all year. It's ridiculous
This are the reason for us not coming out of there with a win.
Originally posted by elbolitas49ers:

we all need to remember that he is a rookie HC.
Lets not get it twisted, Special teams as a whole were pretty good. The definite weak spot is punt returner. We need a true punt returner in the worst way.

we all need to remember that he is a rookie HC.

Dude our expectations this year is the same as last year were a mediocre team nothing has changed. Give this team time to grow and it will succeed under Coach Singletary.
I don't think we're getting killed by penalties more than other teams in the NFL. I think it's the fact that we play close games sometimes and are a young team, the effect of penalties is magnified.

I think Special Teams is okay. We've given up some big returns though and our punt returner spot has been an issue all season.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Apparently a competent Punt Returner isn't a priority for the coaching staff.

I like coach Sing, but getting rid of Alan Rossum was a bone head move. Mike Robinson is not the answer. The only thing he did right today was not fumble.
Originally posted by kemp_j:
I like coach Sing, but getting rid of Alan Rossum was a bone head move. Mike Robinson is not the answer. The only thing he did right today was not fumble.

The funny thing is that alot of the usual suspects on this board wanted Rossum gone before... almost everyone now thinks that was a bad decision. I really don't think the niners personnel guys are very smart. So many silly decisions. A few really dumb decisions such as signing an OT coming off back surgery, running an offense from the 50s, cutting rossum, not starting a clearly superior QB in Smith from day 1, and if I gave a s**t I could name 10 other things... not to mention letting Smiley go a few years back because we wanted big slow lineman to pound the rock, meanwhile he's locking down the guard spot on the number 1 rush offense in football while we can't figure out who to play at guard or tackle. The niners used to win by being a thinking mans football team, now we look like f**king neanderthals.
Share 49ersWebzone