LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 250 users in the forums

Brian Baldinger on Alex Smith - NFL Playbook.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Baldy feels what us fans saw against Texans was a "mirage".

The spread was used because we were down. And WILL NOT be used otherwise. Soft coverage led to Davis being open over the middle to get tackled and keep clock running.
Get tackled in the endzone keeps the clock running?
  • B650
  • Veteran
That's fine, because we'll be down against Indianapolis as well.
Originally posted by Reckless:

The spread was used because we were down. And WILL NOT be used otherwise. Soft coverage led to Davis being open over the middle to get tackled and keep clock running.

Yeah, if you ask me their analysis did not impress me. Not being a homer but Baldy said throwing the ball is not the 49er offense running the ball is. Really? I think running is important and so does Sing but saying the 49er offense is just running up the for no gain is ignorant. Joe and Sterling's analysis of the Colts was better but still poor because they used tape against the Rams to prove their point. The Rams? C'mon. These are the so called experts? Give me some in depth analysis. I really disagree with alot of Baldy's analysis even when it is another team he is breaking down. I just don't think his forte is breaking down plays.
Originally posted by B650:

that's the spirit!

but seriously, I hope Raye calls a game like how we have played in the forth qtr with Shaun Hill..... just some runs and short passes for Alex....and if they play man to man and people are covered for Alex to run for the first down..... and if they get caught one on one for a big play, take it......but more importantly just converting first downs and keeping Payton off the field.......I'd like to see that.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Afrikan:

that's the spirit!

but seriously, I hope Raye calls a game like how we have played in the forth qtr with Shaun Hill..... just some runs and short passes for Alex....and if they play man to man and people are covered for Alex to run for the first down..... and if they get caught one on one for a big play, take it......but more importantly just converting first downs and keeping Payton off the field.......I'd like to see that.

Hopefully, Alex Smith makes whatever Jimmy Raye calls look good. I hope we run the ball, but I also hope we play aggressive like we did in the 2nd half of the Houston game, and the 4th quarter of both the Arizona and Minnesota games (minus the last drive of the Minnesota game).
I dont get it, the spread wasn't used until the last 2 drives of the game.
Originally posted by Goldtimer:

Yeah I was thinkin the same thing.

Only ONE play had Davis outside the End Zone when he caught it. But it was something like between 3 to 5 yards out. Keeping the clock running would not have hurt us in that instance.

I don't think that we will go to Spread if Alex puts solid work on the field and we don't get behind too badly though. So he's kind of right on that.

Mirage? Perhaps. But extremely doubtful. Given Shaun Hill's knack for throwing Deep, I'll take the mirage.

~Ceadder
MM debunked the spread theory.

• B650
  • Veteran
I like the way we attacked against Houston in the 2nd half. I hope we play aggressive and try to build up a big lead so that way our defense can play more aggressive. I hope we don't go back to our old way of just hanging in there so we can win it in the 4th quarter. We need to put teams away. Yes, we should run the ball, but with the weapons we have, there's no reason why we shouldn't play like we did in the 2nd half in Houston, at least from time to time. We need to stretch the field, and I hope Raye understands that this helps the run game as well.
Originally posted by Goldtimer:

Shows you how much effort he took into analyzing that game.
Originally posted by Reckless:

Well, since we weren't running the spread, I guess that we know what to htink about Baldy's analysis.

He's as sh*tty a commentator as he was a player.

In any case...we won;t be switching the offense, because we are running an offshoot of the Coryell "digit" system. Splitting the TE to slot from our base will give us a mismatch against most teams, and now that Smith's footwork has come around, his delivery is quicker...and his knowledge of this system (which he played in under Turner in 2006) make this a perfect chance for him to play up to his potential.

He's got the best set of circumstances that he has had since he's been a pro. The table is set for him to succeed. Let's hope he does it.
Eh, I don't know what our offensive philosophy will be. I just think that we're going to be stubborn over the next couple weeks--try to run the ball, fail tremendously, and have to pass more.

I'm more interested about what they said about Alex. Did they say if he was good...? bad...? not sure...?
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
MM debunked the spread theory.

MM is wrong
Share 49ersWebzone