There are 270 users in the forums

Was That Alex Smith's finest half, last Sunday

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Was That Alex Smith's finest half, last Sunday

Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
The Seachickens 2nd half was one to remember. The entire offense stinked in the rain for the first half. It was horrid. In the second half, out came a blazing Alex Smith. He did everything well that game.

I think this last half trumps the Seahawks game because he had no reps during the week and hadn't played a meaningful game in over 2 years. I can't remember the last time a QB looked so poised and delivered so many nice balls.

What I like the most about the last game was how much Smith seemed that he was in charge.

-9fA

you mean a Niner QB right? because around the league a 2-5 QB's is doing this each week
Originally posted by TheHitman:
Naked bootleg night against the Seachickens... that was his best game. Remember Frank the Tank walking into his interview afterward and telling the fans to expect big things from #11?

If I remember that game correctly, he was kinda just flapping around the first half and put in several big plays in the 2nd half.

I think last Sunday was the first game where he scored TDs with his passing arm while in the pocket in a sustained fashion. They weren't funky roll-outs or bootlegs or broken plays - just drop back and fire away type TDs.
I liked the effect him coming in had on his team mates, I actually have seen people here try to claim he had lost his teams confidence, which is almost as stupid as saying he has not heart or isn't tough. When he threw the first TD, you could see how excited his team mates were, it inspired the defense as well as the offense. I have to say that is was his best performance to date just because how accurate and calm he was.
That was simply the most consistent two quarters that I have ever seen Smith play.
[ Edited by 49ERGUY on Oct 27, 2009 at 3:12 PM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
easily his finest game thus far.

He looked like a different dude out there. Very decisive with his passes and very accurate.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Absolutely.

I think he'll keep it up too. He finally got his head straight.
The Seachickens 2nd half was one to remember. The entire offense stinked in the rain for the first half. It was horrid. In the second half, out came a blazing Alex Smith. He did everything well that game.

I think this last half trumps the Seahawks game because he had no reps during the week and hadn't played a meaningful game in over 2 years. I can't remember the last time a QB looked so poised and delivered so many nice balls.

What I like the most about the last game was how much Smith seemed that he was in charge.

-9fA

I remember Collingsworth dogging him in the first-half and then completely changing his tune when that game was over.
Originally posted by danimal:

-9fA

you mean a Niner QB right? because around the league a 2-5 QB's is doing this each week

even in that seattle game, he was only really good that 4th quarter.
With what he did in that half of football, had most other NFL WBs done the same, it would also be their finest half of football.
Originally posted by danimal:

-9fA

Yes, a meant specifically a Niner QB.

-9fA

Seahawks 06 2nd half was the best.
  • Dino
  • Veteran
how can people vote no?
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by BobS:
I hope this doesn't get locked as it is an honest question. It was the best I have seen. The only 49er game I missed in the last 15 years was his game against the Seahawks
in December 2006, I was in a hotel room in Virginia that had no NFL Network. A lot of zoners cite that as his finest hour. I could not imagine him playing better than he did against the Texans. I am hoping last Sunday was his best, as that would mean he went beyond what he was previously capable of. I "was" one of the biggest Smith bashers here, I am on the Alex Smith bandwagon now, for the first time. And no, I was never a Shaun Hill supporter.

Bob it was easily Smith's best performance to date.

He's had a few come from behind victories. I think this was in the top three but not his best performance in terms of combining everything together to produce a win.
It's close between this game and the Seattle game in '06.

What puts the Seattle game ahead for me is that game was on the line. We trailed going into the 4th quarter and Smith put up 3 4th quarter touchdowns -- 2 passing, 1 rushing.

Plus the Seattle game was memorable. I remember where I was, and how it felt like he had officially become a legit NFL QB.

SF @ Seattle Game Recap
hopefully this is not a 2 to 3 game debate for much longer
Share 49ersWebzone