There are 114 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Will Jones and J. Hill be active now that...

Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by skeetskeet:
Alex is the starter?

the main reasons i could think to keep Jones and Hill inactive were because their style of play is stretching the field, vertical threats. Now that Smith is starting and has the stronger arm, what are the odds these guys get into the game?

I remember Smith having really good chemistry with Jones in camp.

Crabtree, Morgan, Jones and Davis on the field with Gore in the back field...

we finally have playmakers at the skill positions!

Part of the reason they were inactive was the injuries we have at DB. Lewis and R Smith have been out which leaves Roman, Goldson, and an unproven rookie in Taylor. Once we get a little healthier we should load back up on WR's.

won't there be fewer active roster spots available once we're healthier?

We can deactivate guys like Hudson and Taylor

BUt if lewis and Smith are activated, it cancels out, right?

When Lewis and R Smith come back we can deactivate Taylor, Hudson, and possibly another DB. It depends on what we game plan for.
If B Jones and J Hill come into the game, it will be yet another element that the Colts don't have that much game film on. I like this possibility
At least Jones anyway, were not paying him to ride the pine, lets use his speed and throw downfield, hopefully he can show some blocking skills when we try to pound the rock.
Hill and Jones... Why do we need them when we have Surlock. Maybe Alex Smith can let Spurlock's talent be shown!!

Oh wait, I forgot, Spurlock sucks. Can somebody tell me why the 49ers are still paying this guy?
I hope both of them get in there and I hope they just take off. It would be great to have a genuine high-powered offense for a change, and I think both of them bring weapons to the game that can help make that happen. Now if the O-line can just become an average line.
Alex is the starter?

the main reasons i could think to keep Jones and Hill inactive were because their style of play is stretching the field, vertical threats. Now that Smith is starting and has the stronger arm, what are the odds these guys get into the game?

Part of the reason they were inactive was the injuries we have at DB. Lewis and R Smith have been out which leaves Roman, Goldson, and an unproven rookie in Taylor. Once we get a little healthier we should load back up on WR's.

When Lewis and R Smith come back we can deactivate Taylor, Hudson, and possibly another DB. It depends on what we game plan for.

I still don't see how you're figuring these numbers and I'm having a hard time believing that injuries at DB are keeping Hill and Jones out.

If Hudson and Taylor are inactive and Smith and Lewis are active, that leaves no extra spots for Hill or Jones to be activated.

I could definitely see Hill or Jones or even both being activated next week, but I don't think it will have anything to do with DB health.
Originally posted by maximill15:
it's time to let bruce go or let him sit cause he really shined do to martz and now we need to get the young guys reps!!

I disagree. Bruce came back to play for the 49ers rather than retire. Let him play out the season.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
BJ'z good....
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NJNiner:
Originally posted by maximill15:
it's time to let bruce go or let him sit cause he really shined do to martz and now we need to get the young guys reps!!

I disagree. Bruce came back to play for the 49ers rather than retire. Let him play out the season.

You're talking about a team that let Montana, Rice, and Lott all go on to other teams. Now you're saying Bruce, an ex-Ram, should just be allowed to play out the season just because he was kind enough to sign with us instead of retiring? I can't tell the difference anyway. Seems like he's retired.

We need to get the young guys on the field. Bruce should be on the bench. He would make a good 3rd-down WR, but I don't think he's worth starting anymore. Crabtree runs excellent routes and he can be a good possession guy. Battle and Bruce are also possession guys. What we need are fast WRs to compliment Crabtree and help stretch the field, like Brandon Jones, Jason Hill, and Josh Morgan.
Alex is the starter?

if the coaches are at all logical i would think so..... we are definitely gonna have to pass more because were playing indy
Alex is the starter?

I still don't see how you're figuring these numbers and I'm having a hard time believing that injuries at DB are keeping Hill and Jones out.

If Hudson and Taylor are inactive and Smith and Lewis are active, that leaves no extra spots for Hill or Jones to be activated.

I could definitely see Hill or Jones or even both being activated next week, but I don't think it will have anything to do with DB health.

Maybe I'm explaining wrong, depending on the game plan we may activate certain players or certain positions. We know Wallace, RJF, and Davis are usually kept inactive. The other spots would be filled by how were game planing, considering we have been throwing like s**t there was no point in activating 7 WR's. I still think were carrying too many and somebody needs to get booted.

Most of the year we have had a few guys inactive due to injuries...Gore, R Smith, Jones. Because Lewis is turning into a concussion case I think we will keep 5 Safety's and potentially 5 CB's active until he finally lands on the IR, which will most likely remove a WR from being active.
Alex is the starter?

Maybe I'm explaining wrong, depending on the game plan we may activate certain players or certain positions. We know Wallace, RJF, and Davis are usually kept inactive. The other spots would be filled by how were game planing, considering we have been throwing like s**t there was no point in activating 7 WR's. I still think were carrying too many and somebody needs to get booted.

Most of the year we have had a few guys inactive due to injuries...Gore, R Smith, Jones. Because Lewis is turning into a concussion case I think we will keep 5 Safety's and potentially 5 CB's active until he finally lands on the IR, which will most likely remove a WR from being active.

yeah, that makes a bit more sense. sorry, i'm a little slow. I have a feeling that Lewis won't go on IR, though, that he'll be back next week or the week after. But yeah its a numbers game based on a bunch of factors, and the thing that I think will have the biggest influence on extra wr's being active is if the coaches think we can actually use them. obviously they saw no point in havign Jones activated if Hill couldn't get him the ball.

i would like to see us activate Jones and/or Hill and cut Spurlock.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Alex is the starter?

yeah, that makes a bit more sense. sorry, i'm a little slow. I have a feeling that Lewis won't go on IR, though, that he'll be back next week or the week after. But yeah its a numbers game based on a bunch of factors, and the thing that I think will have the biggest influence on extra wr's being active is if the coaches think we can actually use them. obviously they saw no point in havign Jones activated if Hill couldn't get him the ball.

Cut Battle. He's our worst WR and now we know he can't catch punts.
Alex is the starter?

Don't tell anybody I said this but I would like to see Spurlock cut, Hill and Jones activated, and Battle deactivated.
Originally posted by FourNine49:
If B Jones and J Hill come into the game, it will be yet another element that the Colts don't have that much game film on. I like this possibility

Jones played in their own division. I think the Colts probably know what he can and cannot do. Hill, what is he going to add that Morgan, Bruce and Crabtree don't.
At least Morgan and Bruce are known entities in the blocking schemes.