LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 377 users in the forums

field goal instead of going for it on 4th down

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ninersush:
i dont remember where we were on the field but the field goal seemed makeable to tie.

though i have to admit that i was of the go for the td mindset.

why is sing not getting flak for not opting for the field goal? and his horrible clock management at the end?

For some reason, your post came out more like the following:

Hey guys. I don't have any of my facts straight and I have an unrealistic expectation of something I've never done professionally.

Try again.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
That field goal would have set a record.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Do some research before posting random stupid questions.
Originally posted by redrathman:
i dont remember where we were on the field but the field goal seemed makeable to tie.

though i have to admit that i was of the go for the td mindset.

why is sing not getting flak for not opting for the field goal? and his horrible clock management at the end?

For some reason, your post came out more like the following:

Hey guys. I don't have any of my facts straight and I have an unrealistic expectation of something I've never done professionally.

Try again.

hahaha good point. i should have found out where on the field we were before posting. for some reason i felt we were within his range. anyways i guess not. whoops my bad.
It would have been a 79 yarder.

16 yards longer than the record.
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
Yea, Nedney regularly makes 65 yard field goals.
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
Originally posted by pwilly52:

It would have been from 56 his career long he's had one 56 yard FG in his 50 year career.

You have to add 17 yards to that. 10 for the end zone and 7 for the snap. Meaning it would have been a 73 yard FG attempt. (assuming you're right about the 56 yard part)
[ Edited by Gavintech on Oct 26, 2009 at 2:59 PM ]
  • B650
  • Veteran
I do agree about the time management thing though. Why waste 10 to 15 seconds running to the LOS after a large gain, and then waste a down, when you could just call a timeout instead? We still would've had about 50 seconds left to get about 25 yards. Houston would've played prevent defense to avoid losing and since they're at home, they don't mind sending the game into OT. We could've easily marched down the field and maybe hit Vernon for his 4th TD.
Originally posted by billybonka:

/thread

+1

Originally posted by B650:
I do agree about the time management thing though. Why waste 10 to 15 seconds running to the LOS after a large gain, and then waste a down, when you could just call a timeout instead? We still would've had about 50 seconds left to get about 25 yards. Houston would've played prevent defense to avoid losing and since they're at home, they don't mind sending the game into OT. We could've easily marched down the field and maybe hit Vernon for his 4th TD.

Easily? Don't forget we were playing against an NFL defense. I don't care where they are rated, moving down the field on an NFL defense is not easy. Factor in a QB that has not played in an NFL game in two years and it makes that sort of thing that much more unlikely.
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
I blame Hill watch the play had Gore in the flat wide open didn't even look his way

Hill??
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by B650:

Easily? Don't forget we were playing against an NFL defense. I don't care where they are rated, moving down the field on an NFL defense is not easy. Factor in a QB that has not played in an NFL game in two years and it makes that sort of thing that much more unlikely.

We scored 3 TDs against them in the 2nd half so it's not as impossible as you think it is. I'm just saying that I wish we called a timeout because moving the ball to get in FG range wasn't going to be that hard to do, considering that our offense was on fire and they were in prevent defense. Wasting a down like that when we're out of field goal range...I don't really agree with it. We got penalized for delay of game again, and if we had that extra down, it would've made converting much easier. There aren't many plays in the playbook for 4th-and-10, 4th-and-12, etc.
Share 49ersWebzone