There are 96 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Disapointed in our defense

So we all said that Atlanta game was just "one of those bad games that happen every once in a while". Well what happened today? I know that our offense was not producing in the first half, but our offense has struggled all season and our Defense kept us in the game. When we needed to make a key stop today, it didnt happen. For example, look at one of the Texans last drives. We had them at their own 15 and they complete a bomb to Andre Johnson, which later sets up a field goal. WHEN WE NEEDED THEM TO STEP UP AND MAKE A PLAY, IT DIDN'T HAPPEN.
It's terribly disappointing the last 2 games. And despite what Scot M. tells you we continue to look slow chasing guys down. Teams move the ball on us at will and score easily. Speed kills us in game after game.

No matter what Alex and the offense do this defense is going to kill us. That and the O Line.
the bomb to Andre was an excellent throw and an even better catch

one of Houston's TD's came on a short drive as a result of the Battle muffed punt

they only allowed 3 pts in the 2nd half

I'm not disappointed in them after this game. They shut down the run except for that late Slaton run, had decent pressure on the qb (couple of sacks, coverage ones I believe), and were facing one of the top passing offenses in the league.

1st half: our offense is barely on the field making our defense be out there and get tired quickly; 2nd half: our offense puts together nice drives and our defense responds.

Nope, I'll still put the blame on our anemic 1st half offense, and I'm primarily talking about our O-line and playcalling, and Shaun as the secondary blame-receiver
Originally posted by Conejo:
the bomb to Andre was an excellent throw and an even better catch

one of Houston's TD's came on a short drive as a result of the Battle muffed punt

they only allowed 3 pts in the 2nd half

I'm not disappointed in them after this game. They shut down the run except for that late Slaton run, had decent pressure on the qb (couple of sacks, coverage ones I believe), and were facing one of the top passing offenses in the league.

1st half: our offense is barely on the field making our defense be out there and get tired quickly; 2nd half: our offense puts together nice drives and our defense responds.

Nope, I'll still put the blame on our anemic 1st half offense, and I'm primarily talking about our O-line and playcalling, and Shaun as the secondary blame-receiver

Agreed. Take away that Battle fumble and we only gave them 17 points. Against one of the better offenses in the league that isn't too bad. Not great, but not bad.

What I am disappointed in is the same group I have been disappointed in for almost a decade now. The OLINE. They are professionals and should start playing like they are.
The defense shows it true colors when we play good offensive teams...

The 49er defense is like the best defense in the NFL on 1st and 2nd down.. And the absolute worst on 3rd downs or whenever a stop is vital...

NT and LDE even though Ice and Franklin are playing better was not upgraded, cause better can be had.. We could have made a better play for players like Igor from the Chargers who went to Dallas or Canty who went to N.Y. Last year could have made some type of play or even inquiry for Jason Ferguson who is in Miami now.. Even Ronald Fields who we let go, is doing pretty good over in Denver.. Thanks Nolan for waiting till then to get something out of him.. Could have drafted Phillip Merling, we took Kentwan Balmer... Could have taken Kenny Phillips and had are FS position set, nope we took Balmer.. Hell, we took Rashaun Woods back in the day trading down all the way to 31, when we could have taken Wolfork at 15...

And we still don't have a pass rusher...

We do not have the tools to be a great defense.. Sure we are great against the Rams.. And we always play AZ tuff, but, Atlanta, Houston and probably Indy exposes our defense for what it really is.. Bad! With the exception of a few players....

It's like nobody since Walsh has been able to really put anything together...

We are still looking for another Haley.. Never have been able to replace that guy...

We just don't have the tools, and it doesn't seem our scouting department has the tools either....
Originally posted by Eduardo75:
The defense shows it true colors when we play good offensive teams...

The 49er defense is like the best defense in the NFL on 1st and 2nd down.. And the absolute worst on 3rd downs or whenever a stop is vital...

NT and LDE even though Ice and Franklin are playing better was not upgraded, cause better can be had.. We could have made a better play for players like Igor from the Chargers who went to Dallas or Canty who went to N.Y. Last year could have made some type of play or even inquiry for Jason Ferguson who is in Miami now.. Even Ronald Fields who we let go, is doing pretty good over in Denver.. Thanks Nolan for waiting till then to get something out of him.. Could have drafted Phillip Merling, we took Kentwan Balmer... Could have taken Kenny Phillips and had are FS position set, nope we took Balmer.. Hell, we took Rashaun Woods back in the day trading down all the way to 31, when we could have taken Wolfork at 15...

And we still don't have a pass rusher...

We do not have the tools to be a great defense.. Sure we are great against the Rams.. And we always play AZ tuff, but, Atlanta, Houston and probably Indy exposes our defense for what it really is.. Bad! With the exception of a few players....

It's like nobody since Walsh has been able to really put anything together...

We are still looking for another Haley.. Never have been able to replace that guy...

We just don't have the tools, and it doesn't seem our scouting department has the tools either....

Hindsight.

Drafting is a gamble.
  • B650
  • Veteran
I don't think defense is our problem. As soon as our offense picked up, our defense returned to form for whatever reason. Maybe they were on the field too long in the 1st half (too many three-and-outs). Our offense couldn't get anything going against Atlanta, and as a result, the defense was put in a bad position over and over again. Same thing happened in the 1st half of the Houston game. Alex came out in the 2nd half and moved the chains, and suddenly the defense started playing much better.

I believe we have a good, solid defense. Maybe not a top 5 defense like we thought a couple weeks ago, but probably in the top 10 or 12. I think with some key additions next year we can be a top 5 defense. The best thing that can help this defense out this year is to move the chains on offense.
Really, disappointed in our defense? I was at the game yesterday and the defense was strong enough to win. Really, they only gave up 17 points (don't count the muffed punt). You ought to be able to win every week, if your team only gives up 17 point.

Our offense is the problem. Alex Smith brought the team back, but keep in mind that the Texans did not game plan for Smith, so they played a fairly straight forward defense. Also consider that the Texans were the 25th WORST defense in the league, so let's see how he does over the next three games before we anoint him anything. It would not surprise me if he shows some of the same problems he always has and the 49ers will be forced to see what Nate Davis can do before the end of the season.

Carolina will win one more game this season which will put them in the top 5 picks, so the Niners are going to need to know what they have before they pass on Clausen or Bradford (for an OT).

Lastly, it is going to be really tough for the Niners to make the playoffs this year. After the Cardinals win last night, they have a cake walk the rest of the season. Take a look at their schedule...

CAR @ ARI
ARI @ CHI
SEA @ ARI
ARI @ STL
ARI @ TEN
MIN @ ARI
ARI @ SF
ARI @ DET
STL @ ARI
GB @ ARI

Now, look at the Niners...

SF @ IND
TEN @ SF
CHI @ SF
SF @ GB
JAC @ SF
SF @ SEA
ARI @ SF
SF @ PHI
DET @ SF
SF @ STL

Best case, we go 10-6 tie with a tie-breaker over the Cardinals (beating them twice) Realistically, we are looking at losses to IND, GB and PHI. That would put us at 9-7 for the season and likely to miss the playoffs (lose the tie-breaker to ATL, GB, or PHI, right). Worst case, the Cardinals go 10-6, but likely they go 11-5 with their only losses to SF and MN.

Upside, the Niners end up with two top 20 picks and Alex Smith continues to show he is a franchise QB. If that were to happen the Niners would have to be considered a favorite in the NFC next year.

• 9ermj
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by B650:
I don't think defense is our problem. As soon as our offense picked up, our defense returned to form for whatever reason. Maybe they were on the field too long in the 1st half (too many three-and-outs). Our offense couldn't get anything going against Atlanta, and as a result, the defense was put in a bad position over and over again. Same thing happened in the 1st half of the Houston game. Alex came out in the 2nd half and moved the chains, and suddenly the defense started playing much better.

I believe we have a good, solid defense. Maybe not a top 5 defense like we thought a couple weeks ago, but probably in the top 10 or 12. I think with some key additions next year we can be a top 5 defense. The best thing that can help this defense out this year is to move the chains on offense.

I'd buy that, once they got a little breather and maybe some confidence that the O might actually be on the field for more than 3 plays they cleaned some things up , although Clements is looking a little shaky, and remember Roman was out there trailing every pass play, that guy always seems to be at the middle of a big play for the other team
  • 49erfourlife
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
So we all said that Atlanta game was just "one of those bad games that happen every once in a while". Well what happened today? I know that our offense was not producing in the first half, but our offense has struggled all season and our Defense kept us in the game. When we needed to make a key stop today, it didnt happen. For example, look at one of the Texans last drives. We had them at their own 15 and they complete a bomb to Andre Johnson, which later sets up a field goal. WHEN WE NEEDED THEM TO STEP UP AND MAKE A PLAY, IT DIDN'T HAPPEN.

Again ...someone who didn't watch the game...wtf can the defense do when the others team offense has a starting field position @ the 50 yard line !!! Not to mention a muffed punt inside your own 10 yard line !!!! are you freakin kidding me ???!!! Please have a clue before you post... We held them to just 3 pts second half !!!! Held Andre Johnson to 67 yards !!! These post are starting to get really pathetic !!!

This is exactly my sentiments.
Our defense isnt as good as we thought it was. its still good but still has issues.

Lets hope Carolina continues to suck it up and we can get Berry or Mays, or even that kid Suh from nebraska
They are getting a bit worn from the brutal training camp and excessive playing time due to our horrific offense. They looked tired from the get go yesterday.

Singletary has no choice but to make the change at QB if for no other reason that to give the defense some rest.
Originally posted by DesiDez:

This is exactly my sentiments.

+1
No pass rush and no stopping teams on 3rd downs kills us. Daniels killed us, even with Clements (who is mediocre) covering him. A "premier" CB can't cover a TE? Our defense has the same problems that we have continually failed to address, and I just don't get why Scott M. doesn't get it.