There are 68 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Somebody please explain this to me...

• Nuns
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DaNiners:
CAN ANYONE UNDERSTAND THAT THE TEXANS DID NOT GAME PLAN FOR SMITH!!! Please stop acting like one game makes Smith a franchise QB. I was there, he was great, so what? He showed the same promise that 90% of the backups who take over during a blowout game show. Then, when they start the next game they look like crap. Really, the football IQ of the people in these posts is mind-blowing. Let's just see how Smith does in the next three games before we decide he is the answer to our problems (which include many others). Usually, QB's which have proven nothing for five years do not suddenly become a franchise QB. Does not mean it cannot happen, but it usually does not work out that way. In fact, outside of Warner, who else has failed for several years, to suddenly become a franchise QB (and don't even mention He's Done Nothing Yet, Tony Romo).

Steve Young
CAN ANYONE UNDERSTAND THAT THE TEXANS DID NOT GAME PLAN FOR SMITH!!! Please stop acting like one game makes Smith a franchise QB. I was there, he was great, so what? He showed the same promise that 90% of the backups who take over during a blowout game show. Then, when they start the next game they look like crap. Really, the football IQ of the people in these posts is mind-blowing. Let's just see how Smith does in the next three games before we decide he is the answer to our problems (which include many others). Usually, QB's which have proven nothing for five years do not suddenly become a franchise QB. Does not mean it cannot happen, but it usually does not work out that way. In fact, outside of Warner, who else has failed for several years, to suddenly become a franchise QB (and don't even mention He's Done Nothing Yet, Tony Romo).

Give me a break

Even if Smith played HALF as well, he would've looked better then Hill has all season.

As for the game planning...

The spread offense is tough to prepare for when a team is also planning on using the run. We have an athletic QB who every coordinator has hindered by trying to make him something he's not. Spread them out and use Alex where he's comfortable. You build around your QB -- not vise versa. For all of the flack Raye gets, if he is able to get the most out of Alex then he's done his job IMO
  • WestCoastNut
  • Info N/A
I think we'll see a more balanced attack now. With more options in the medium and deep passing game, the running game will be more productive.
Originally posted by mrbadd1:

Rich Gannon comes to mind of a guy who wasn't seen as a franchise QB then become one. Warner, Garcia, S.Young, Collins to a lesser degree and many more have ended up being great or at the very least lead their teams to the playoffs after either being a career backup or not living up to their potential for many years.

Add Jim Plunkett to this category too.

http://www.davidpietrusza.com/Plunkett.html

Plunkett displayed the same grit during the ups and downs of his pro career.
The then-Boston patriots chose him first in the January 1971 NFL draft, but
he seemed bitten by the jinx that sometimes afflicts Heisman winners. With
the Patriots Plunkett suffered from numerous shoulder problems and had to
undergo surgery. The Patriots let him go to the 49ers in 1975 for a number
of draft choices. The draft choices did well for the Pats, but Plunkett
struggled for San Francisco and was released.

He caught with on Oakland, serving as a backup to his old rival for Heisman
honors, Dan Pastorini, during the 1980 season. When Pastorini was injured,
Plunkett stepped into the breach and rallied a team of castoffs much like
himself to a second place AFC West finish. In the postseason Plunkett led
the Raiders past Houston, Cleveland, and San Diego to face the highly-
favored Eagles in Super Bowl XV. Once again, the underdog had his day as
the Raiders upset Philadelphia 27-10. "It was the spirit of the redeemed,"
the editors of The Football Encyclopedia inelegantly wrote of these
unlikely champions, "of those who had come back from the garbage pile to
smell the roses." And Plunkett's role did not go unnoticed as he earned
Super Bowl MVP honors.
[ Edited by TXNinerFan52 on Oct 26, 2009 at 8:55 AM ]

Rich Gannon comes to mind of a guy who wasn't seen as a franchise QB then become one. Warner, Garcia, S.Young, Collins to a lesser degree and many more have ended up being great or at the very least lead their teams to the playoffs after either being a career backup or not living up to their potential for many years.

Doug Williams
The run game has had me worried all season!! Granted frank was hurt! We haven't done our job up front!! Seeing how our entire offense is based on the success of the run we are doomed! If Alex does start next week, we can start utilizing our solid WR's and use the pass to set up the run. Or we can just go screen passes all day to gore!!
I liked what I seen from Alex yesterday. I really think that kind of offense is best suited for the personnel we have & can use. I also think this would give Gore more room to run. Just have to see what the offensive staff decides. This could also help the defense when & if we can put points up on the board.
First, the only franchise QB named on your list was Warner and Young. I thought about Young and I disagree that he was not successful prior. Young was hugely successful in the USFL and then went to a terrible TB team. He came to the after two year and quickly showed ability in spot duty. They knew exactly what they had long before Joe left (in '87 when he subbed in for Joe against the Bears). Garcia and Collins are both journeymen and game managers...that does not equate to being a "great" QB. Hell, Hostetler won a SB, but I sure as hell would not call him great.

Next, Alex Smith has had one or two good games in his career, so don't give me this BS about he has shown this or that. He has consistently shown limited touch, limited awareness and limited leadership skills. Now, maybe he has grown up and is capable of making the jump from "not very good" to "excellent". I sure hope he does, so we do not need to blow draft pick on a QB (like the Raiders do) and set our franchise back 5 years.

To your point about doubting. All I read are these knee jerk reactions to everything. "Oh, we need fire Singletary 'cause we got smoked, OR we are the worst team in the NFL, OR are going to Super Bowl after two games, OR our defense is terrible OR Alex Smith is a franchise QB"....doubting? Hell yes, I am doubting. I am doubting until proven otherwise by someone who has shown limited potential to become a viable threat at QB for the 49ers. When Smith puts 3-4 solid games together, I will be more than happy to anoint him the next great Niners QB.

I have been following the Niners religiously since my father got me hooked on them in the mid-70's. Half of you weren't even around when they really, really, really sucked. I will absolutely question this team and its decisions until I see quality football being played on both sides of the ball. No coach and no fan should ever expect anything less from their teams. It's about winning, not walking around trying to look cool with a new Crabtree jersey.

Plunkett for sure was a guy who came back after being terrible. Williams, no way. Williams consistently improved while with TB, then went to the USFL Outlaws where he put up huge numbers, and finally finshed with a SB with the Redskins.
Originally posted by krizay:

I agree! I tried to post something along those lines a couple times yesterday. but the thread would get locked by the time I hit post.

However, I still feel like he finally gets it. Only time will tell obviously. 2 of his 4 biggest problems( imo) looked fixed yesterday. Pocket presence and accuracy. Neither of those have anything to do with the defensive gameplan.

The other 2 things that bothers me about him is... He still lacks that touch. Everything still seems to be on a rope with very little loft. Which decreases your margin for error. It especially hurts him when trying to throw to RB's on swing passes. Which can be the difference in a 1st down on 3 and 5 or a punt.

The other thing that bothers me is how when he leaves the pocket. He automatically tucks the ball. Doesn't keep his eyes down the field nor is he ready to throw if someone breaks free. Tucking the ball like that also has potential to make his receivers think he's running so they give up trying to get open and work back to him. so instead of a potential big play we get what he can with his legs.

Either way we definitely seen an improved Alex Smith yesterday. Will he get it done once he is being gameplanned against? Only time will tell.

The second touchdown pass to Davis had plenty of touch on it and he laid it right between two defenders. Most of his passes yesterday were right on the money and gunned right into the receiver.

He was flushed outside of the pocket on more than one occasion and I definitely saw him roll away and throw the ball away out of bounds at least twice. He tucked twice, and that is when he saw no one open down the field. I believe he ran for a first down on the last drive also.

The thing about Smith is he is a lot more decisive in going through his reads and much more confident in the talent around him. I didn't seem him make very many bad passes yesterday. The one to Gore was bad, but ended up working out anyway because he would have been tackled and the clock would have continued to run. I think the interception is debatable. It looks like he got hit as he threw and didn't get a chance to follow through. The ball definitely came out awkwardly.

This is a really weak argument - that handicap is completely offset by Alex's lack of reps with the first team. This is Smith's first chance in a game HEALTHY since his 2nd year - Every rookie is awful his first year (see Sanchez now or remember back to Peyton or Troy Aikmen their first year) the 2nd year for Alex was better not good but better and then Rocky Bernard did a Superfly Jimmy Snooka swan dive on him blew his shoulder out and Nowin decided to pretend like his shoulder wasn't hurt and threw him out there and was SHOCKED when he couldn't play.

This next game is going to be rough as the Colts are an elite team and the 49ers are not close - Singletary is going to have to get over himself and let the offense run a balanced attack if we are going to have success - but Alex was fantastic in the 2nd half he played behind the same line as Shaun Hill did and made plays and made throws and more importantly was able to go through his progressions and hit the open receiver downfield - unlike Shaun Hill because he can't throw downhill with any consistency.

Smith is the starter for the rest of the year unless he starts to look like Rookie Alex and then he really is a bust - hopefully this horrible game manager undrafted scrub of a QB experiment is over - Nate Davis deserves s shot way before they ever let Hill back on the field
  • 9ermj
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Nuns:

Steve Young

How prepared was Smith to play period , Noodle Arm got 2 weeks to prepare and tanked again, it works both ways , Smith needs to do this over some games before anyone can get too excited, but it was very nice to see an NFL O from the 9ers , it's been awhile
  • 9ermj
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by lamontb:

Wow a realistic point. I think it was more of the Texans were basically in prevent with that big lead than the fact that they didn't prepare for Smith. Smith just made plays. Let's just hope Smith defies the odds and turns out to be a franchise qb. But i agree I just can't take one half of football and see that as evidence he's taken the next step. Lets see if he continues to look poised and have some pocket awareness consistently in full games. Niners have had such bad qb play that folks are passing in there pants over 2 quarters of good play. It was definitely a good sign and a shot in the arm that I hope translates into some wins. but it's hard to get hype when the team still lost.

Hey they wet themselves over Noodle Arm who was far less impressive in any outing in his career , so while this is nice Smith has to prove it's not a one hit wonder, we'll see if he gets the chance
I have to agree with everyones post in someway. I do agree that we are all "jumping" the gun a little bit and all of us again are looking to Alex Smith to save our season. But i for one am jumping the gun, hoping Alex is turning it around and i get to wear my A.Smith jeresey again :)

but beyond that, our oline is NOT built to run the ball 60% of the time, they are weak, they get blown up, and they do NOT create any holes for Frank Gore. I do like the approach of Singletary, "load up the box and we will hit you in the face". but bottom line, WE are the ones getting hit in the face. Shaun Hill is great on short completions 5-15 yards down the field. But Alex Smith, if he can keep it up, can pull the trigger on a ball 20+ yards down the field. The opposing teams have to respect that, and it will open things up again for Frank Gore!

Heres to hoping Smith can keep it up, that confidence, that swagger he came in with. BUT EVERYONE has to be excited about what they saw, NOT ONCE did he panic in the pocket, flush to the right, and throw the ball away. He was in it to WIN it!!!

I agree with the fact that the Texans didn't game plan for Alex Smith. However, it is pretty easy to game plan for S. Hill and the requesite 49er offense that comes with it. What has me somewhat excited is the fact that with A. Smith at QB you can open up the formations and playbook, as he can throw the ball farther.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home