There are 179 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Somebody please explain this to me...

Would you guys agree that in the second half, our offense looked as sharp as it has all season? And our quarterback play was the best that it has been all season? Well if so, will our coaches change our "run first" style of football? Lets be honest: we say we are a smash mouth team, but the reality is that our run game is garbage (besides the two big runs by frank). If we can spread the ball around like in the second half, we will open up our opportunities to run the ball. But I am afraid that our coaches are too stubborn. What do you guys think they will do?

P.S. I have been critical of Vernon since day 1, and today I am proud to say that I believe he is currently having his "breakout year".
You have to be able to pass the ball too. You have to be balanced.
I don't think we should pass as much as we did with Smith in the 2nd half. I know it was necessary because we were down but for regular game that would be too much. With that being said I do think that we should take a new approach and possibly come out passing to set up the run but I don't think we should go all Pittsburgh/San Diego and ignore it completely.
sorry wrong thread
[ Edited by global_nomad on Oct 26, 2009 at 7:14 AM ]
  • 9ermj
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Mospeed:
I don't think we should pass as much as we did with Smith in the 2nd half. I know it was necessary because we were down but for regular game that would be too much. With that being said I do think that we should take a new approach and possibly come out passing to set up the run but I don't think we should go all Pittsburgh/San Diego and ignore it completely.

That's how I see it, in my view in this day and age you've got to be able to pass the ball and if that means you do it to set up the run then so be it. balance is the key because if you're balanced offensively then likely the defense is unbalanced figuring out your next move
YEP. Our stubborn coaching staff made it WAY TO EASY on the opposing defense. They could load up the box to stop our inside and off-tackle runs with the "Play the run on the way to the QB rushing philosophy." That is why AZ and others kill us with the run blitzes up the middle.

You have to be able to stop a defense from doing this by spreading them out with 3-4 receiver sets. But more importantly, the defense has to respect that formation with the belief that the QB and receivers can beat them from that set. With Hill in their, defenses didn't fear that set.

Now the challenge will be to see if Smith can carry this success forward. He had the advantage this game of a defense trying to adjust to a complete offensive game plan switch at half-time. If the defense prepares for a spread look with more complex coverages, we may see Smith regress into his paralysis by analysis or interceptions. Lets pray this is not the case, that he has truly matured into a NFL ready QB.
Originally posted by HearstFan:
YEP. Our stubborn coaching staff made it WAY TO EASY on the opposing defense. They could load up the box to stop our inside and off-tackle runs with the "Play the run on the way to the QB rushing philosophy." That is why AZ and others kill us with the run blitzes up the middle.

You have to be able to stop a defense from doing this by spreading them out with 3-4 receiver sets. But more importantly, the defense has to respect that formation with the belief that the QB and receivers can beat them from that set. With Hill in their, defenses didn't fear that set.

Now the challenge will be to see if Smith can carry this success forward. He had the advantage this game of a defense trying to adjust to a complete offensive game plan switch at half-time. If the defense prepares for a spread look with more complex coverages, we may see Smith regress into his paralysis by analysis or interceptions. Lets pray this is not the case, that he has truly matured into a NFL ready QB.

Totally agree. Smith clearly deserves another shot; he's not the guy long-term, faces a stiff test against the Bob Sanders-returned Colts defense, and looks like our best bet at least for the rest of this year.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
Would you guys agree that in the second half, our offense looked as sharp as it has all season? And our quarterback play was the best that it has been all season? Well if so, will our coaches change our "run first" style of football? Lets be honest: we say we are a smash mouth team, but the reality is that our run game is garbage (besides the two big runs by frank). If we can spread the ball around like in the second half, we will open up our opportunities to run the ball. But I am afraid that our coaches are too stubborn. What do you guys think they will do?

P.S. I have been critical of Vernon since day 1, and today I am proud to say that I believe he is currently having his "breakout year".

"next year" has finally come indeed. Congrats to Vern!
CAN ANYONE UNDERSTAND THAT THE TEXANS DID NOT GAME PLAN FOR SMITH!!! Please stop acting like one game makes Smith a franchise QB. I was there, he was great, so what? He showed the same promise that 90% of the backups who take over during a blowout game show. Then, when they start the next game they look like crap. Really, the football IQ of the people in these posts is mind-blowing. Let's just see how Smith does in the next three games before we decide he is the answer to our problems (which include many others). Usually, QB's which have proven nothing for five years do not suddenly become a franchise QB. Does not mean it cannot happen, but it usually does not work out that way. In fact, outside of Warner, who else has failed for several years, to suddenly become a franchise QB (and don't even mention He's Done Nothing Yet, Tony Romo).
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DaNiners:
CAN ANYONE UNDERSTAND THAT THE TEXANS DID NOT GAME PLAN FOR SMITH!!! Please stop acting like one game makes Smith a franchise QB. I was there, he was great, so what? He showed the same promise that 90% of the backups who take over during a blowout game show. Then, when they start the next game they look like crap. Really, the football IQ of the people in these posts is mind-blowing. Let's just see how Smith does in the next three games before we decide he is the answer to our problems (which include many others). Usually, QB's which have proven nothing for five years do not suddenly become a franchise QB. Does not mean it cannot happen, but it usually does not work out that way. In fact, outside of Warner, who else has failed for several years, to suddenly become a franchise QB (and don't even mention He's Done Nothing Yet, Tony Romo).

The reason for the enthusiasm is Smith has NEVER looked that good. Whether the Texans game planned for him or not, he avoided sacks and made accurate throws
like never before. There were parts of Smith's game that showed big improvement
that had nothing to do with what the defense was up to.
Originally posted by BobS:

The reason for the enthusiasm is Smith has NEVER looked that good. Whether the Texans game planned for him or not, he avoided sacks and made accurate throws
like never before. There were parts of Smith's game that showed big improvement
that had nothing to do with what the defense was up to.

I would disagree. Smith HAS shown flashes of what he is capable of. However, it has been a few times and also few and far between. I remember the game against Seattle on a Thursday night, Leading the comeback win again Arizona two years ago at the start of the season too. There have been times, but it hasn't been much. This time around he put together a complete half!

Let's all hope this really is the "Return of the Jedi" as some poster put. Niners need him to be!!!
  • krizay
  • Veteran

I agree! I tried to post something along those lines a couple times yesterday. but the thread would get locked by the time I hit post.

However, I still feel like he finally gets it. Only time will tell obviously. 2 of his 4 biggest problems( imo) looked fixed yesterday. Pocket presence and accuracy. Neither of those have anything to do with the defensive gameplan.

The other 2 things that bothers me about him is... He still lacks that touch. Everything still seems to be on a rope with very little loft. Which decreases your margin for error. It especially hurts him when trying to throw to RB's on swing passes. Which can be the difference in a 1st down on 3 and 5 or a punt.

The other thing that bothers me is how when he leaves the pocket. He automatically tucks the ball. Doesn't keep his eyes down the field nor is he ready to throw if someone breaks free. Tucking the ball like that also has potential to make his receivers think he's running so they give up trying to get open and work back to him. so instead of a potential big play we get what he can with his legs.

Either way we definitely seen an improved Alex Smith yesterday. Will he get it done once he is being gameplanned against? Only time will tell.

Instead of being a Negative Nancy look at it as teams now have a tougher time game planning against the Niners because we added a little bit of strawberries to the vanilla.

No one has annoited Alex and the chosen one just that he gives us more options for this season. How well it goes from here no one knows. Until then give him the benifit of the doubt.

Wow a realistic point. I think it was more of the Texans were basically in prevent with that big lead than the fact that they didn't prepare for Smith. Smith just made plays. Let's just hope Smith defies the odds and turns out to be a franchise qb. But i agree I just can't take one half of football and see that as evidence he's taken the next step. Lets see if he continues to look poised and have some pocket awareness consistently in full games. Niners have had such bad qb play that folks are pissing in there pants over 2 quarters of good play. It was definitely a good sign and a shot in the arm that I hope translates into some wins. but it's hard to get hype when the team still lost.
[ Edited by lamontb on Oct 26, 2009 at 11:59 AM ]
  • mrbadd1
  • Info N/A

Rich Gannon comes to mind of a guy who wasn't seen as a franchise QB then become one. Warner, Garcia, S.Young, Collins to a lesser degree and many more have ended up being great or at the very least lead their teams to the playoffs after either being a career backup or not living up to their potential for many years.