LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 208 users in the forums

Overall thoughts on the Texans games

Shop Find 49ers gear online
PJ...very good synopsis. I have much the same feeling about our team...I was almost physically ill watching the 1st half. You're right, absolutely NO excuse for not coming out much better prepared. That's on Singletary and Raye, no question. Once Alex did get in the game, the offense almost immediately perked up. You could see it not only in the plays he was making, but in their body language, too. Once Coach sees the game film, he'll be convinced he's got to keep Alex as the starter. Here are a couple more moves he needs to make:

- Get Wragge at RG...particularly if Pashos is out for a bit, which could mean Snyder at RT 'til Pashos gets back. Whatever Coach does, he'll need to do it quick, because our OT's will be going against two of the best in the business Sunday in Freeney and Mathis.

- Get Brandon Jones on the field and Battle off of it. The reasons are pretty obvious. It'd give Alex another downfield weapon and Arnaz has pretty much been overcome by better receiving talent.

- Get Norris more involved in the offense. Give him the rock once in awhile and use him on some short passes. It could catch opposing defenses by surprise.

- I have visions of Shanahan running our team...I can just imagine what he could do with our offense. I like Singletary, but I'm not convinced he's the long-term answer. Shanahan would fix our OL...that's one thing his Denver teams always had was outstanding OL's. His style would also be good for Gore...and you know he'd bring in a better stable of RB's. For him to be our coach, Jed would have to insist on hiring a better GM...because that was ultimately Shanahan's undoing in Denver...he was in total control for too long and it eventually cost him his job. Still, I sure like the sound of him as our head coach...he'd bring genuine excitement back to Niner football.
did rachal get beat by the oldest defensive lineman in the league?
Yes...he did, 39 yrs old. That alone should be enough for Singletary to banish him to the bench.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
PJ...very good synopsis. I have much the same feeling about our team...I was almost physically ill watching the 1st half. You're right, absolutely NO excuse for not coming out much better prepared. That's on Singletary and Raye, no question. Once Alex did get in the game, the offense almost immediately perked up. You could see it not only in the plays he was making, but in their body language, too. Once Coach sees the game film, he'll be convinced he's got to keep Alex as the starter. Here are a couple more moves he needs to make:

- Get Wragge at RG...particularly if Pashos is out for a bit, which could mean Snyder at RT 'til Pashos gets back. Whatever Coach does, he'll need to do it quick, because our OT's will be going against two of the best in the business Sunday in Freeney and Mathis.

- Get Brandon Jones on the field and Battle off of it. The reasons are pretty obvious. It'd give Alex another downfield weapon and Arnaz has pretty much been overcome by better receiving talent.

- Get Norris more involved in the offense. Give him the rock once in awhile and use him on some short passes. It could catch opposing defenses by surprise.

- I have visions of Shanahan running our team...I can just imagine what he could do with our offense. I like Singletary, but I'm not convinced he's the long-term answer. Shanahan would fix our OL...that's one thing his Denver teams always had was outstanding OL's. His style would also be good for Gore...and you know he'd bring in a better stable of RB's. For him to be our coach, Jed would have to insist on hiring a better GM...because that was ultimately Shanahan's undoing in Denver...he was in total control for too long and it eventually cost him his job. Still, I sure like the sound of him as our head coach...he'd bring genuine excitement back to Niner football.

Yeah I am really dissapointed in Singletary, he did not take advantage of the bye to get a head start on the Texans. I know he motivates these guys well but that alone does not cut it and that to will ware of. I also agree about getting Brandon Jones on the field (at least as a PR) and I agree with you about getting Moran Norris involved. Good things seem to happen when he is in the game and when he touches the football.
Also Singletary seems to be snapping at the media the way Nolan did last year, not a good sign. I think Sing realizes he may not as great as he thought he was. He was very confident going into the season and up to last week on how we were going to rebound, get the running game going, fix the offensive line and still it is a problem for us.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
I just found some video on Fox and VD is behind the coverage but David Bass is bull rushed into Alex and it looks like it really took something off the throw. Another second and VD might have been celebrating his 4th TD. The O-line just can't seem to come up big when we need them.

Shocker.

That's what it seemed like it was. Did that damn bright ass Sun play a part too? I remember when the camera panned you just saw a burst of yellow light, I could only imagine what it was like looking up dealing with the shadows/light.
Originally posted by miked1978:
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Lets get Shanahan here in 2010 and really get this offense going

No need to keep the shuffle of OC's going, he would want a HC job anyways.

I know he would want a HC job. Would take Shanahan over Singletary any day

Yeah I would to but we have to give Singletary some time, this team still needs more talent. I still think Singletary is going to get things turned around here but I was dissapointed with how poorly the team came out today. Like I said, this team has to go away from that run first, power rurnning mentality because we are not that type of team!!!

I keep wondering in the tough training camp has left the team with tired legs already. We looked "3rd quarter tired" in the 1st quarter.

Then explain the 2nd half.

The problem with this team is simple, the o-line is unable to get the running game going.

People need to stop talking about removing Singletary after this year. Do you really think the players that are on this team would like that?

hold on buddy, I agree with you 100% that our problem starts and stops with the putrid O-line play we are getting. I blame Scotty 100% for that and our other personnel shortcomings this year. They are the same ones we've had every year since the purgings of the Ericson era.

I don't want Singletary to be fired. He is a good coach and only needs the right players for his philosophy. Manusky is doing a good job and Raye was a different OC the 2nd half. Mind you, none of those coaches being here is a result of Scot's management. Singletary and Manusky were brought on by Nolan.

As far as why the defense looked better the 2nd half. Clearly it's because our offense was moving the chains and staying on the field the 2nd half. They got some rest.

Our o-line still sucks and it's only a matter of time until Alex is just as beat up and ineffective as Shaun is right now. It's all musical chairs for the rest of the season. We may make the playoffs if Arizona falters, but I'm not counting on it.

FIRE SCOT!
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by ObePwnD:
Here's my thoughts: After watching Hill deep throat the first-half of the game and then Smith damn near save the day, I'm not so convinced anymore that Raye is a complete idiot. In retrospect, the receivers were getting open all the while, it's just Hill has no vision, and doesn't go through his progressions. If you don't do that, you won't find the open man consistently. Plain and simple, he's scared to throw the deep ball because he knows his limitations.

Smith showed what could be don't in this offense with the proper QB running it. Sing said he had to review the tape, but we know that is just a formality. Smith is driving the car now. My hat's off to Alex Smith, I guess you learned something while riding the pine.

Raye knows what he is doing, he just didn't have the freedom to call the kind of plays that he could with a qb with a live arm in there. You do not last 30+ years n the NFL without knowing your job, all these guys b***hing about Raye are just flapping their gums. Hill was the limiting factor of the offense, as today clearly showed beyond a doubt.

Yea? Well who made the decision to start Hill?
Originally posted by JC49:
The coaching staff is costing us. Singletary has got these guys together and motivated but that's not enough. We do not look like a well coached team. To come in off a bye and do nothing in the first half and have your back-up QB who wasn't getting reps be more effective is sad. Nearly a dozen penalties! Well caoched teams don't do that. On those two delay of game penalties the plays were late coming in. On one of them you could see Smith glaring at the sideline, holding his hands by his ears and waiting. After he got the play, the huddle was already around him, he called the play immediately, and didn't have the seconds to get it off. Inexcusable.

Both the Minnesota and Houston games were so close that any small difference would have tipped things in our favor. You could say that difference should or could have come from anywhere but coaching should help not hurt you. In Minny the play calling killed us. In Houston we didn't need much more to be in field goal range. Take away that last delay penalty and we likely convert a fourth and five, spike it, make a completion, and let Nedney take a shot at the tie.

It is easy with hindsight to second guess but you don't see the coaching staffs of winning teams hurting their teams so much. There are plenty examples like not having a time out to challenge with in Atlanta. I don't want to start listing them. I just believe with better coaching could easily be 5-1 and I am having a hard time accepting it. I don't want a new staff. I just want our current one to improve. Singletary is still a rookie coach. I'd like to think he and his staff can.

Very well said. I agree.

By the way, when the play call is late coming in....whose ever fault it is, it isn't Jimmy Raye's. Memphis will think of an excuse for him.

Old Bas*#$% probably forgot it.
[ Edited by GoldandGarnet on Oct 26, 2009 at 9:59 AM ]
1. No run game to speak of
2. Need to change out our return men! ( put spurlock or Hill back there)
3. Need to stop making BONE HEAD mistakes. ie delay of game, illegal formation etc!
4. Defense was burned multiple times on play action!!!

Member Milestone: This is post number 600 for BETTERDAYZ9ERS.
I just found some video on Fox and VD is behind the coverage but David Bass is bull rushed into Alex and it looks like it really took something off the throw. Another second and VD might have been celebrating his 4th TD. The O-line just can't seem to come up big when we need them.

Shocker.

Yeah I watched the INT Smith threw at the end and VD was open on the right side but Alex couldn't step into the throw and under threw it. Baas got pushed into Smith. It's the been the interior line play that is horrible. We have horrible guards.
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:

Shocker.

Yeah I watched the INT Smith threw at the end and VD was open on the right side but Alex couldn't step into the throw and under threw it. Baas got pushed into Smith. It's the been the interior line play that is horrible. We have horrible guards.

yeah VD was behind all the DB's, but that might of been due to the fact they adjusted to the ball and VD didn't! BUt yeah, our line could't give smith the time he needed even when they only rushed 3!
Share 49ersWebzone