LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 242 users in the forums

Shwantae Spencer is da best coverage coner we got

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Shwantae Spencer is da best coverage coner we got

Is this what a CONER does?
Originally posted by showtime49:
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
i actually agree, spencer has had less balls thrown to him, which means he's shutting the other wr down. and didnt he guard and shut down fitzgerald in week 1 too? i like brown as well from what i saw from him last year vs the jets when clements was injured

That's a pretty big fallacy. Perhaps Clements gets more balls thrown to his side because he's covering the #1 receiver who is the first read on a majority of plays.

I don't understand the theory that he is always covering the #1 receiver , that's his job we pay him $80 mill to lock them down ( example cromarti, Bailey, Revis those are are true shut down corners .

And as for Goldson he is doing decent job for now we need to let him develop , he is good at covering
Originally posted by eddy99_1999:
i actually agree, spencer has had less balls thrown to him, which means he's shutting the other wr down. and didnt he guard and shut down fitzgerald in week 1 too? i like brown as well from what i saw from him last year vs the jets when clements was injured

That's a pretty big fallacy. Perhaps Clements gets more balls thrown to his side because he's covering the #1 receiver who is the first read on a majority of plays.

I don't understand the theory that he is always covering the #1 receiver , that's his job we pay him $80 mill to lock them down ( example cromarti, Bailey, Revis those are are true shut down corners .

And as for Goldson he is doing decent job for now we need to let him develop , he is good at covering

bit u cnt deni dat whl hee May nt b n elt cvr crner, hee iz da best wi hav!!!
[ Edited by cubanb on Oct 22, 2009 at 8:18 PM ]
No hes not.
Ummm, what? I really didn't understand what you're saying. Nor do I think you understand what I'm saying.

Phatbutskinny said this:
Fewer people throw to Spencer --> means Spencer is locking down his receiver.

There are other plausible reasons why fewer people throw to Spencer. As in, Clements is guarding the QB's favorite target; or by default, Spencer is not guarding the QB's favorite target. I'm not saying it's true or not - I'm pretty sure it is in many cases - but his logic is seriously flawed.

Originally posted by eddy99_1999:

Nate Clements is not an elite corner in the league, he is a top 10 corner in the league and he is better than Shawnte Spencer. We need 1 passrusher and a S and the D would be among the elite in the NFL until then we open ourselves up from time to time.
Absurd.

Clements is matched up against the best super star WR every single week.

Spencer is on the #2 & #3 "supporting role WR's."

Get it?

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Absurd.

Get it?

Nate's given up 5 TD's this season. Shawntae has given up none. I don't give a f**k who they are covering, that's a huge stat. Nate is getting paid an exorbitant amount of money to play CB for us, and he isn't performing up to that amount. Shawntae >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Nate
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
wow...this is becoming a trend in Niner talk, one bad game and that player is labeled awful.

Becoming a trend?

This has been going on in Niner Talk for years.

And you know this how?
Originally posted by Method:
Absurd.

Get it?

Nate's given up 5 TD's this season. Shawntae has given up none. I don't give a f**k who they are covering, that's a huge stat. Nate is getting paid an exorbitant amount of money to play CB for us, and he isn't performing up to that amount. Shawntae >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Nate

This. They are both covering to their supposed "level" of WR for their abilities. So far, Spencer is shutting his guys down as the #2 CB should do with the #2 WR. Nate, on the other hand, is getting toasted by guys he should at least be containing.

Originally posted by cubanb:
oh fa shizzle... da ninrs git da good dfnc and spencer is az gud az it gits!

...WORD
Originally posted by alpha81:

Is this what a CONER does?

Absurd.

Get it?

Oh I have seen Shawntae get abused as much as Nate in the past. It's apples and oranges man.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Absurd.

Get it?

Oh I have seen Shawntae get abused as much as Nate in the past. It's apples and oranges man.

Are you talking about last season or the one before? Why? Shaun Hill seemed to be a pretty good QB last season, but now he's one of the worst QB's in the entire NFL. I haven't seen Shawntae get burned this season, and I'm just going off what I see.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Absurd.

Get it?

Are you talking about last season or the one before? Why? Shaun Hill seemed to be a pretty good QB last season, but now he's one of the worst QB's in the entire NFL. I haven't seen Shawntae get burned this season, and I'm just going off what I see.

I'm going off of Shawntae Spencer's career, when he had Clement's job as the #1. There's a reason why he was demoted to nickelback once the 49ers got Clements & Walt Harris playing together.

Is he playing well this season? Sure he is. But really, if he was in Clement's shoes, I can't say he would be doing much better.
Share 49ersWebzone