There are 296 users in the forums

Shwantae Spencer is da best coverage coner we got

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Shwantae Spencer is da best coverage coner we got

2) Dre Bly
3) Tarrell Brown
And
4) Nate slow man Clements

Nate is just about average on covering watching him play his technique is not fluid he mostly looks lost on man to man coverage , does ok on zone coverage unless its a deep ball ,

As for Shawntae he does great on man to man coverage, if you look at the stats shawntae has been keeping his receivers in check in the last few games ,in atlanta he got beat once by Michael Jenkins because he got greedy,

The reason for this poll i just wish we had nate at safety, shawntae start, and tarrell and dre on the opposite rotating until dre hangs it up
  • B650
  • Veteran
Keep in mind that Clements is going against the other team's best WR every week. I still think he's the best we have, but I do like Spencer in man coverage. He's physical and can keep up with most WRs. Clements just seems to have lapses in concentration, probably because he thinks too highly of himself. He still has wheels. Yes, he does get burned from time to time, but it isn't because of a lack of speed. It's mental. He can still play CB and he's a good hitter too. I hope he plays smarter from now on though. You can't take chances like that and let the other WR go 90 yards for a TD. You don't have the greatest safeties so you should know that and play accordingly.
i actually agree, spencer has had less balls thrown to him, which means he's shutting the other wr down. and didnt he guard and shut down fitzgerald in week 1 too? i like brown as well from what i saw from him last year vs the jets when clements was injured
Like the Haralson thread, this is just another instance of fans getting too worked up over one football game.

Clements is a good football player, Haralson is a good football player. The only player on our defense who I don't think is an adequate NFL defender is (gasp) Goldson (gasp).

And I know how much of a pet he is on here.
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
i actually agree, spencer has had less balls thrown to him, which means he's shutting the other wr down. and didnt he guard and shut down fitzgerald in week 1 too? i like brown as well from what i saw from him last year vs the jets when clements was injured

That's a pretty big fallacy. Perhaps Clements gets more balls thrown to his side because he's covering the #1 receiver who is the first read on a majority of plays.
Originally posted by Schulzy:
Like the Haralson thread, this is just another instance of fans getting too worked up over one football game.

Clements is a good football player, Haralson is a good football player. The only player on our defense who I don't think is an adequate NFL defender is (gasp) Goldson (gasp).

i was really rooting for goldson before the season started, and he was going to be one of my favorite players, but sad to say i think he just sucks
Originally posted by eddy99_1999:

The reason for this poll i just wish we had nate at safety, shawntae start, and tarrell and dre on the opposite rotating until dre hangs it up

I thought the reason was to confuse me and make my eyes bleed trying to read it
wow...this is becoming a trend in Niner talk, one bad game and that player is labeled awful.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
Originally posted by Schulzy:

i was really rooting for goldson before the season started, and he was going to be one of my favorite players, but sad to say i think he just sucks

There are two players who can't defend and they both happen to be safeties.
[ Edited by B650 on Oct 22, 2009 at 7:43 PM ]
Dis be da bom thread

Spencer has been great so far this year. Clements is still one of the best all-around corners. I was hoping to see a lil more from Goldson so far, but he is better than Roman back there.
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
wow...this is becoming a trend in Niner talk, one bad game and that player is labeled awful.

Becoming a trend?

This has been going on in Niner Talk for years.
  • lazy
  • Veteran
Da 49ers have a solid group of coners
Is this a trick question???...coner? Hmmm
oh fa shizzle... da ninrs git da good dfnc and spencer is az gud az it gits!
Share 49ersWebzone