5 games ago.

This!
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by baltien:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by dald1:
Originally posted by mryan1004:
i believe theres options out there, holmgren, shannahan, gruden, etc. we'll see how we finish the season, if our offense doesnt get better i strongly believe Singletary will make a move for OC

no1 from that list will settle for OC at this point in their careers.

Certainly not. However if Norv Turner finally gets canned in SD at the end of the season we should go after him.

And I'm one of the main ones here yelling about "stability, consistency, etc, etc" but yea...should Norv get fired, the first thing he should see when he steps outside of Qualcomm Stadium is Mike Singletary.

exactly. NORV COME BACK TO THE BAY!!!! he shouldnt have left anyways since hes such a lousy hc

When you think about it, what's Norv really ever done without Larry Allen?

OC at Dallas--Norv looked pretty brilliant running and passing his guys behind. . . . Larry Allen.

Then he goes to Oakland as HC and stinks it up.

Then he comes to the Niners and looks pretty good as OC running Frank Gore behind . . . Larry Allen.

Then he leaves the Niners in the lurch and goes to SD, where he's stunk it up.

Frankly, I'd rather see the team concentrate on finding, drafting and signing the next Larry Allen and let Norv twist in the wind--which is what he did to the Niners.

Actually, OND, the common thread with Norv doing well isn't tied to Allen, It's tied to the fact that he's a great OC and a sorry-ass HC. You can say he's the Offensive version of Nolan. JMO
I thought the horrible offense during the preseason was just due to vanilla play calling, but it seems as though Raye just sucks that bad
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Raye is simply a more competent version of Hostler. Pretty much what Hostler strived to be.

It frustrates me that we can't even have an AVERAGE offense. Since Norv we went to a dweeb who couldn't call a pop warner game, to a madman who couldn't control his own craziness, to the mentor for the dweeb who couldnt call a pop warner game.

Can't we just get a normal OC?
Originally posted by Crown:
i believe theres options out there, holmgren, shannahan, gruden, etc. we'll see how we finish the season, if our offense doesnt get better i strongly believe Singletary will make a move for OC

you named 3 superbowl winning coaches as possible OC's?

Yeah ok.

so be a head coach or dont get paid at all............... Yeah ok
The push for a new OC is misguided. They've been telling us all along that the offense would be grind it out and win by 1. That's the philosophy and it might even be working if our O-Line were executing. Fix the O-Line and we can better argue whether or not Raye's the guy for the job. 3rd and long is poison for this offense. Until we can run the ball on 1st and 2nd downs, we're not even seeing how Raye calls a game. When we have been able to sustain drives, I don't think the play-calling's been half bad. But the primary reason we've had so many 3 and outs isn't because of play-calling, but the fact that our O-Line is getting beaten on every play.
Originally posted by gravelburn:
The push for a new OC is misguided. They've been telling us all along that the offense would be grind it out and win by 1. That's the philosophy and it might even be working if our O-Line were executing. Fix the O-Line and we can better argue whether or not Raye's the guy for the job. 3rd and long is poison for this offense. Until we can run the ball on 1st and 2nd downs, we're not even seeing how Raye calls a game. When we have been able to sustain drives, I don't think the play-calling's been half bad. But the primary reason we've had so many 3 and outs isn't because of play-calling, but the fact that our O-Line is getting beaten on every play.

Should be a pushing for a new GM that can get better players.
[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Oct 22, 2009 at 5:00 PM ]
for a new OC.? 1 of 3 issues we have at hand. bad qb, bad o-line, bad OC, or all three....what do you guys think?

I think both Raye and Hill would look a heck of a lot better if our O-line was any good. Scot McCloughan is responsible for bringing in players that can get the job done. If we don't make the playoffs he should be fired.
The OL sucks and that is the problem. The OC is smart enough to know that he can't call the pass plays we all want to see because the OL will not protect. Now I'm not defending everything we have done offensively I think we run up the middle to much, run to much 2 TE sets and should play the FB more, don't utilize 3 and 4 WR's enough and should bench Bruce and play Morgan/Jones more IMO.

Bottom line is this entire offense would be different completely if the OL was better. Only having 2 good OL really sucks.
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:
for a new OC.? 1 of 3 issues we have at hand. bad qb, bad o-line, bad OC, or all three....what do you guys think?

I think both Raye and Hill would look a heck of a lot better if our O-line was any good. Scot McCloughan is responsible for bringing in players that can get the job done. If we don't make the playoffs he should be fired.

I agree we need someone like Bill Parcels for our organization. We need a good talent scout and I just feel like we keep coming up with "almost" or "they'll be good next year" players. Next draft we should honestly go OT, BPA (hopefully an OG), OG, OG, BPA, BPA. We need SOLID linemen that we can lock and up for years to come and solidfy our line. After that, raye's offensive philosophy will work

With that said, I absolutely hate the gameplan Raye comes in with. It's predictable and ineffective. We need to run the the outside, pass on 1st down more, utilize playaction... It's just like our team gets into one rut and tries to power out instead of trying a new approach. It's getting hard to watch. We'll see what an entire 2 weeks and a shiny new Michael Crabtree will do to our offensive scheme.
The minute Jimmy Raye was hired.
Originally posted by susweel:
The minute Jimmy Raye was hired.

word. its too late for a replacement tho, learning a new offense midseason is a great way to tank a season. i hope they can this fool and get a bright college HC or OC to be the replacement. someone who will stay a while. i wish they guy from Boise state or Belotti from oregon would be OC but why would they leave their positions in those programs? theres gotta be someone out there, maybe singletary can find an old highschool buddy like walsh did and make him OC. (Holmgren)
Originally posted by djfullshred:
How long before "we" start pushing, or when you think the team will want to make a change?

Since we don't make the decisions, I'll guess that Singletary will keep Raye around for at least 3 years, even if the offense does not improve. I think he believes the offensive problems are due to lack of continuity year to year more than anything Raye might be doing wrong.

continuity is definitely key, but if we arent producing solid offense within 3 years i think singletary is gonna be more worried about his job than raye's

very true
I say untill we get someone who can throw a few long balls on target and get some WR TD"S it does'nt matter who the coach's are.
Originally posted by Squirrel:
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:
Can this team really afford to go through ANOTHER OC?

How about a little consistency for once...

It's not so much the coordinator as it is his system. Say Rathman takes over as OC and keeps Raye's system intact. It's a coordinator change, but the players won't have to learn a complete system.

if Rathman could handle being an OC, and all the sudden turn our offense into a powerhouse, he would have been hired to begin with.

you guys are delusional. theres so many roller coaster fans on this board. we were 3 secs from being 4-0 heading into the Falcons game. now youd think we were 0-5. our problem isnt the playcalling, its the fact that we have a backup QB as a starter, our line is still young and is coming along slow, and we have no impact WR's.

yeah lets blame Jimmy Raye after we gave him almost nothing to work with in the first place...here Jim, take a lifelong emergency QB with no arm, a young and average at best OL, and little to no talent at WR and make us a 30 ppg offense.

this board has no common sense...