LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 261 users in the forums

Nate Clements vs Houston

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The two pro-bowl ish wide receiver's hes faced have gone for over 250 yards and 3 td's combined in two games. That's not exactly shut down material sorry but no cigar. Add in Owens last year and you got almost 500 yards and 4 td's in 3 games. He's not a lockdown corner hes a great bump and run playing one side of the field once you make him shadow a receiver he struggles horribly. Spencer has given up 0 td's and that's going against Boldin and Jenkins of the Falcons, those aren't exactly low talent receivers now are they. Spencer is playing great and Clements is struggling it is what it is.
Originally posted by bigmur49:
Originally posted by baltien:
This article is such bs it isn't even funny. Whether you want to believe it or not Nate is still a top three corner this league EASILY and would start on ANY team. What the writer (and some of you) failed to take into account is the given circumstances of those scores. On some plays (like Roddy White's 30 yard TD), it wasn't even Nate's fault.

He was in position, but the safety WASN'T.

Also, even if you are a "lockdown" corner, occasionally WR's are going to have a big day against you. It happened with Deion. It happens with your Champ's, Woodson's, and whoever else inbetween. It comes with the territory. To think that an elite corner should shut down every receiver, every year, until the end of his career is absurd.

I can seriously count on one hand the number of times Nate has been owned. The (only) two examples, the writer already gave in the article. Nate has been playing here two seasons now. So that means on average he gives up one big game per season.

Oh, the horror.

I am not saying he is owned on a regular basis, but he does get beat at least once in every game. I know Sanders didn't and I am pretty sure Champ and others are the same. It is extremely unfair to compare Clements to Primetime, as he was about as good as it gets (especially in 94) but it does seem like he is the cover guy on a lot of first down catches and TD's.

That's because Sanders didn't do run support, he only played the pass. Have you ever watched any film of Sanders with a running play coming his way. He kind of disappeared.
even Champ Bailey disappeared without a pass rush last season...........
Originally posted by TX9R:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Won't work b/c of Owen Daniels and the Niners safeties aren't great in coverage as is. Will be hard to roll a safety over the top on Johnson with Owen Daniels in the middle of the field. And a LB isn't checkign Daniels.

I actually thnk Lawson can handle Daniels. Put Clemons with S help on Johnson at all times, Spencer on Walter. This will match up J Jones with T Brown which is a wash. This is the only plan of attack IMO.

I just don't see any LB's sticking with Daniels. I think safeties will need to help with him also. But if they give him routes in the middle of the field it's gonna be hard for a safety to completely ignore him and help on Johnson. But I must admit I like this approach match up wise. I like it a lot better than sitting in zones and being non aggressive. i think the best remedy is to try to bltiz the crap out of Shcaub and see how their o line holds up. They just have too many weapons to give Shcaub time to throw. Regardless of the coverage they have huge WR/TE that just make plays. The defense has to attack them like they attacked Arizona. It's time for them to step up and play a big time game outside the conference.
Clements is an avg player, alert, mostly performs his duties as per expectations. As with any DB or corner, one or two mistakes can cost the entire game. Comes with the job, so the high salary.
I think we overpaid him, but that's in the past. He is far from being what they call a lockdown.
Originally posted by Winners:
This article is such bs it isn't even funny. Whether you want to believe it or not Nate is still a top three corner this league EASILY and would start on ANY team. What the writer (and some of you) failed to take into account is the given circumstances of those scores. On some plays (like Roddy White's 30 yard TD), it wasn't even Nate's fault.

Also, even if you are a "lockdown" corner, occasionally WR's are going to have a big day against you. It happened with Deion. It happens with your Champ's, Woodson's, and whoever else inbetween. It comes with the territory. To think that an elite corner should shut down every receiver, every year, until the end of his career is absurd.

I can seriously count on one hand the number of times Nate has been owned. The (only) two examples, the writer already gave in the article. Nate has been playing here two seasons now. So that means on average he gives up one big game per season.

Oh, the horror.

I find all this Clements hate to be retarded (especially after people bashed him in preseason, hailed him in the first 4 weeks, and bashed him after last game) but a top 3 corner he is not. Top 5 maybe, top 10 of course, but no way is he top three.

Right. Up until last week, he was having a Pro Bowl year.

Yep, and like the poster above said, the safety was the main issue on those big gains by White. The safety has to be deeper than the deepest man on the field and Mark Roman just does not get that concept. The TD over the top, the TD up the sideline, Brett Favre's miracle throw....all of them Roman was out of position.
This is hilarious everyone has excuses for everything. This just in - Clements is AVERAGE. The long td to White is because of CLEMENTS not Roman. Goldson blitzed so Roman had the middle of the field to cover meaning Clements had the receiver one on one, the one place NOT to get beat is short because you know you have Roman behind you. He then he gets beat on a 10 yard stop misses the tackle and we all know Roman couldn't keep up with him so that was over. Quit blaming ROMAN for Clements screwing up on the play. Just like he got beat by Fitz ONE ON ONE in the endzone in the opening game. Just like he got beat ONE ON ONE by Rice on a post pattern in the Minnesota game. IT IS WHAT IT IS...it is amazing how when one player doesn't make plays, it's not his fault on these forums? So if Gore fumbles because he gets hit behind the line of scrimmage it's not his fault? No it's Gore's job to hold on to the ball, it's Hill's job to get the offense moving, it's Clements job to cover his receiver when he has no safety help the END.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Sadly I have more faith in Spencer covering Johnson then I do with Nate.
Nate has been doing okay. He does give too much cushion at times & bites on alot of double moves, but is great in run support. Spencer has been lockdown so far this year!
Originally posted by Thrash88:
This is hilarious everyone has excuses for everything. This just in - Clements is AVERAGE. The long td to White is because of CLEMENTS not Roman. Goldson blitzed so Roman had the middle of the field to cover meaning Clements had the receiver one on one, the one place NOT to get beat is short because you know you have Roman behind you. He then he gets beat on a 10 yard stop misses the tackle and we all know Roman couldn't keep up with him so that was over. Quit blaming ROMAN for Clements screwing up on the play. Just like he got beat by Fitz ONE ON ONE in the endzone in the opening game. Just like he got beat ONE ON ONE by Rice on a post pattern in the Minnesota game. IT IS WHAT IT IS...it is amazing how when one player doesn't make plays, it's not his fault on these forums? So if Gore fumbles because he gets hit behind the line of scrimmage it's not his fault? No it's Gore's job to hold on to the ball, it's Hill's job to get the offense moving, it's Clements job to cover his receiver when he has no safety help the END.

If you read the post correctly, you'll see that I clearly stated that White's 90 yard TD was primarily Clements fault. However, Clement's missing a tackle doesn't excuse Roman screw up either. And neither of my posts were to make excuses for him. I have zero problem pointing out a player when they mess up.

All I'm saying is it isn't as bad as some people on here are making it out to be.

Saying that he's routinely giving up the big play (getting burned etc etc) to me sounds like the typical overreaction that happens on these boards because of ONE loss. So I stand by my argument:

Save last week against Atlanta, Clements is playing damn good ball.

• B650
  • Veteran
You have to factor in that we don't get a consistent pass rush. That could be another reason why Clements hasn't been himself this year. Even Deion would get burned if he had to cover WRs for 10 seconds. He did look bad on a couple plays, but all CBs get burned from time to time. He's still one of the best in my eyes, and that's pretty good because he isn't getting much help from the DL or safeties.
  • Ether
  • Veteran
You cant expect anyone to shut down Elite talent every single game. Take into account the Wide Receivers that Nate has gone up against so far. Anquan Boldin, Larry Fitzgerald, TJ Houshmanzadeh, Roddy White. How do you expect Clements to "lock down" that type of talent when Quarterbacks have 6 seconds to throw every time?
Originally posted by bigmur49:

Oh, the horror.

I am not saying he is owned on a regular basis, but he does get beat at least once in every game. I know Sanders didn't and I am pretty sure Champ and others are the same. It is extremely unfair to compare Clements to Primetime, as he was about as good as it gets (especially in 94) but it does seem like he is the cover guy on a lot of first down catches and TD's.

Beat for what? A catch? He doesn't give up a touchdown every game, and a receiver is going to catch the ball at some point if he's a good receiver with a QB who has time to throw the ball... Your not taking all the facts into account with this horribly vague statement.
Share 49ersWebzone