LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 316 users in the forums

Nate Clements vs Houston

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I was reading the article on the home page about how much Clements blows and it mentioned Sanders in 94 and gave me an idea.

If memory serves correctly, in the NFC CHampionship game we put Sanders on Harper to completely elimiinate him, then basically double teamed Irvin.

With Andre Johnson this weekend, I don't have much faith in him "lockdown" handling him by himself, so what if Clement s went to the to the other side, then double Johnson?
I like that your thinking creatively but Nate has to be on Johnson. He is our #1 corner, and he should be on their best receiver. Houston is similar to Atlanta in that they have weapons everywhere on offense (Kevin Walter, Steve Slaton, and Owen Daniels). I think the onus is more on the pass rush this week than it is the corners. Our secondary is strong and deep and can at least compete with the firepower of Houston. However if Schuab gets all day to throw the ball then we will get destroyed.
dude no one can lockdown andre johnson. he's such a beast. he's hands down the best wr in the game
Revis shut him down and followed it up by shutting down Randy Moss. He then ruined it all by allowing Ginn Jr. to burn him for a deep touchdown lol. Point is Nate Clements isn't Revis and I DONT want him on Johnson all game or we will get burnt often. Johnson is bigger stronger and faster. I'd rather Spencer match up on him with Goldson shadowing over top because Spencer has a better matchup size wise and Goldson can make sure he doesn't go deep. I'll take our chances with their running game against our run defense but please don't let Johnson rape us deep.
Won't work b/c of Owen Daniels and the Niners safeties aren't great in coverage as is. Will be hard to roll a safety over the top on Johnson with Owen Daniels in the middle of the field. And a LB isn't checkign Daniels.
[ Edited by lamontb on Oct 21, 2009 at 10:00 AM ]
This article is such bs it isn't even funny. Whether you want to believe it or not Nate is still a top three corner this league EASILY and would start on ANY team. What the writer (and some of you) failed to take into account is the given circumstances of those scores. On some plays (like Roddy White's 30 yard TD), it wasn't even Nate's fault.

He was in position, but the safety WASN'T.

Also, even if you are a "lockdown" corner, occasionally WR's are going to have a big day against you. It happened with Deion. It happens with your Champ's, Woodson's, and whoever else inbetween. It comes with the territory. To think that an elite corner should shut down every receiver, every year, until the end of his career is absurd.

I can seriously count on one hand the number of times Nate has been owned. The (only) two examples, the writer already gave in the article. Nate has been playing here two seasons now. So that means on average he gives up one big game per season.

Oh, the horror.
[ Edited by baltien on Oct 21, 2009 at 9:19 AM ]
Originally posted by baltien:
This article is such bs it isn't even funny. Whether you want to believe it or not Nate is still a top three corner this league EASILY and would start on ANY team. What the writer (and some of you) failed to take into account is the given circumstances of those scores. On some plays (like Roddy White's 30 yard TD), it wasn't even Nate's fault.

Also, even if you are a "lockdown" corner, occasionally WR's are going to have a big day against you. It happened with Deion. It happens with your Champ's, Woodson's, and whoever else inbetween. It comes with the territory. To think that an elite corner should shut down every receiver, every year, until the end of his career is absurd.

I can seriously count on one hand the number of times Nate has been owned. The (only) two examples, the writer already gave in the article. Nate has been playing here two seasons now. So that means on average he gives up one big game per season.

Oh, the horror.

I am not saying he is owned on a regular basis, but he does get beat at least once in every game. I know Sanders didn't and I am pretty sure Champ and others are the same. It is extremely unfair to compare Clements to Primetime, as he was about as good as it gets (especially in 94) but it does seem like he is the cover guy on a lot of first down catches and TD's.

Oh, the horror.

I find all this Clements hate to be retarded (especially after people bashed him in preseason, hailed him in the first 4 weeks, and bashed him after last game) but a top 3 corner he is not. Top 5 maybe, top 10 of course, but no way is he top three.
[ Edited by Winners on Oct 21, 2009 at 9:50 AM ]
Originally posted by Winners:

Oh, the horror.

I find all this Clements hate to be retarded (especially after people bashed him in preseason, hailed him in the first 4 weeks, and bashed him after last game) but a top 3 corner he is not. Top 5 maybe, top 10 of course, but no way is he top three.

Right. Up until last week, he was having a Pro Bowl year.
Originally posted by Thrash88:
Revis shut him down and followed it up by shutting down Randy Moss. He then ruined it all by allowing Ginn Jr. to burn him for a deep touchdown lol. Point is Nate Clements isn't Revis and I DONT want him on Johnson all game or we will get burnt often. Johnson is bigger stronger and faster. I'd rather Spencer match up on him with Goldson shadowing over top because Spencer has a better matchup size wise and Goldson can make sure he doesn't go deep. I'll take our chances with their running game against our run defense but please don't let Johnson rape us deep.

This may not be a bad idea. I'm pretty confident in Spencer, I would argue him to be comeback player of the year for the Niners.

Although, I will give Nate the benefit of the doubt, because he has played solid games up until the Atlanta blowout, he was a gambler on that game.

Either way, Andre Johnson will get his. The key is to get to Schaub, period.

Originally posted by verb1der:

This may not be a bad idea. I'm pretty confident in Spencer, I would argue him to be comeback player of the year for the Niners.

Although, I will give Nate the benefit of the doubt, because he has played solid games up until the Atlanta blowout, he was a gambler on that game.

it's all about QB pressure.

Look what we did with two probowl WR's in AZ
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lamontb:
Won't work b/c of Owen Daniels and the Niners safeties aren't great in coverage as is. Will be hard to roll a safety over the top on Johnson with Owen Daniels in the middle of the field. And a LB isn't checkign Daniels.

I actually thnk Lawson can handle Daniels. Put Clemons with S help on Johnson at all times, Spencer on Walter. This will match up J Jones with T Brown which is a wash. This is the only plan of attack IMO.
  • Pogity
  • Info N/A

Speaking of Spencer, do anyone think he's possibly playing better than Nate?

For the record, I have no problem with the way either of them are playing. I don't think how much they make is even a factor unless we're up against the salary cap. It's not my money that pays them.
Nate Clements is NOT a top 3 or top 5 cornerback not even close I'll give him top 10 but barely. He is a great bump and run corner but if he doesn't make contact he doesn't have top end speed to keep up with the real burners. He does struggle on deeper routes when he is one on one with no safety help and he sometimes gives to big of a cusion but he is by far a playmaker when given the chance. Spencer has given up 0 touchdowns and if you haven't noticed, they don't throw to his side of the field very often do they! That is the best thing to say about your corner is they don't target him very much. Clements has given up 3 touchdowns that were his fault through 5 games, thats not top 3 cornerback material. I'll be nice and say Fitz was a tough matchup but the Roddy White touchdown was all on him. The safety took a bad angle but he should have never missed the tackle, Roddy White had to turn and then run so Clements had the chance to breakdown and make the tackle towards the sideline. The touchdown to Rice was horrible he let a so-so receiver beat him one on one. That being said I do not see them leaving Clements with Johnson all game alone because he will get burnt up and down the field.
Originally posted by Pogity:

Speaking of Spencer, do anyone think he's possibly playing better than Nate?

For the record, I have no problem with the way either of them are playing. I don't think how much they make is even a factor unless we're up against the salary cap. It's not my money that pays them.

Some might argue that. But to me...what separates Nate from Spencer are his run support skillset...

Nate can shed his blockers and literally spear any back, big or small, did you see when he speared Steven Jackson almost in half?...the rest of the game Sjax was weary of running at Nate's side....honestly I havent seen any CB that can tackle like Nate.
Share 49ersWebzone