LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 297 users in the forums

Running Game: O-Line or Playcalling!!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by mississippi_sam:
Running Game: O-Line or Play calling?

The problem has more to do with the play calling than the guys on the field. If you're gonna have success cramming the ball down the inside of the defense even when they KNOW that's what you're trying to do, you've got to have DOMINANT interior linemen, especially at guard. Remember Larry Allen. That kind of dominant.

We don't have that kind of guy by a long shot. So we need to call some better plays. We need to run the ball out of 3 receiver sets (yes we need some 3 receiver sets). For crying out loud we have 27 wide receivers on the roster, right? Let's use them.

We let Kory Sheets go and keep 2 real running backs on the roster and keep 7 or 8 receivers with no 3 and 4WR sets? Are you SERIOUS? But that's drifting from the point.

The play calling to too predictable. We need to stretch the field from 2RB, 2TE sets, and run the ball some with 3 and 4 wide receivers on the field.
We've got all the guys on the team. Use 'em once in a while.

I'm all for running the ball and playing great defense and winning that way. The problem is we can't run the ball, and as a result lost 2 of the last 3 games.

Sorry for yelling so much. Got a little fired up.
Quote:
The real question then becomes: How long can they keep winning without making plays down the field? No team is worried that Shaun Hill’s passing is going to beat them; the key to beating the 49ers is forcing them to throw, taking away their run game. I’m reminded of a conversation I had a few weeks ago with Phil Simms about quarterbacks. We were talking about making big plays in the passing game and the only way that teams will respect the long ball is based on the quarterback, not the wideouts. His belief, which I agree with completely, is that no matter how talented the wide receivers, it’s the quarterback’s ability to throw accurately down the field that’s the key to a successful passing game. Hill is 4 of 22 for 144 yards when he throws the ball more than 20 yards. He has one long pass for 50 and another for 39. So if you’re the Texans, are you going to worry about Crabtree being in the game?

Diner morning news: 49ers need a passing fix

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Diner-morning-news-49ers-need-a-passing-fix.html#

Shaun Hill = Plays under pressure - 49 - 36.4 % completion - 133 yds - 4.0 avr. - 1TD/1 INT - 16 sacks - QB rating 46.7

Matt Schaub = Plays under pressure - 63 - 50.0 % completion - 399 yds -7.7 avr. 2 TD/2 INT - 8 sacks - QB Rating 72.5
You would think Jimmy Raye would come up with some better schemes, he constantly sends the RB into a loaded box, Hill should be allowed to audible out when they stack the box on us, but NO "were gonna impose our will on the defense"

But at the same time the O-Line needs to find a mean streak and play with some nastiness..hopefully our attack is balanced and not so damn predictable come sunday.
D I Pick D "All of the above"
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Quote:
The real question then becomes: How long can they keep winning without making plays down the field? No team is worried that Shaun Hill’s passing is going to beat them; the key to beating the 49ers is forcing them to throw, taking away their run game. I’m reminded of a conversation I had a few weeks ago with Phil Simms about quarterbacks. We were talking about making big plays in the passing game and the only way that teams will respect the long ball is based on the quarterback, not the wideouts. His belief, which I agree with completely, is that no matter how talented the wide receivers, it’s the quarterback’s ability to throw accurately down the field that’s the key to a successful passing game. Hill is 4 of 22 for 144 yards when he throws the ball more than 20 yards. He has one long pass for 50 and another for 39. So if you’re the Texans, are you going to worry about Crabtree being in the game?

Diner morning news: 49ers need a passing fix

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Diner-morning-news-49ers-need-a-passing-fix.html#

Shaun Hill = Plays under pressure - 49 - 36.4 % completion - 133 yds - 4.0 avr. - 1TD/1 INT - 16 sacks - QB rating 46.7

Matt Schaub = Plays under pressure - 63 - 50.0 % completion - 399 yds -7.7 avr. 2 TD/2 INT - 8 sacks - QB Rating 72.5

The Hill swingers won't like this comparison. It makes Hill look bad and in their eyes Hill is GOD!!!!
COMBO. The play calling isn't designed to make up for the lack of an offensive line. Raye hoped he had an O line, but he is finding out he doesn't. He is as smart as anyone, I wager he starts mixing it up a little gradually. Gradually is all this line can handle. He has been around a long time, he knows how far he can take them. Raye can do it with the best of them, but you need to have REAL talent on the line.

Only Barry Sanders could get something done with this group in a big way, Gore, Craig, etc would put up big numbers but there would be a limit.

We have one offensive lineman.

Staley
Share 49ersWebzone