LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 262 users in the forums

Are you disappointed the Niners made no moves before the trade deadline

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Are you disappointed the Niners made no moves before the trade deadline

• krizay
  • Veteran
Peppers and Merimann are the only 2 players being mentioned in a trade that would have made any sense.

Carolina likely would have wanted their #1 back from us or they'd look really foolish right now. Peppers for a 1st is a bit much in my opinion.

Merimann would have been worth a gamble at the right price. But what would have been the right price. Plus everyone in SD is likely trying to save their jobs. Getting draft picks isn't going to help them save those jobs.

Haven't heard of any quality lineman being shopped around. Though if I was GM I would have been calling some "bottom feeders" seeing if I could swipe a good olineman or 2 for some draft picks. But whose to say Scotty didn't try and was turned down.
I'm disappointed that the whole NFL is so negligent in using trades to improve their team. I understand that pro football is not pro baseball, but it's ridiculous how little player-for-player trade action takes place in the NFL.

I understand the NFL reluctance to trade valuable draft picks (potentially a low salary, high performance player for 4-6 years). But, there is enough variability in style of play from one team to another across the NFL, that skilled front office talent evaluators ought to be able to identify surplus talent that "doesn't fit the scheme" on their own team and shop that player for a player in a similar situation on another team. But this seldom happens in the NFL. The few Niner trades have been less than memorable, involving players like Levi Middlebrooks, Darrel Jackson and CB Davis from San Diego. Then again, Green Bay got Brett Favre from Atlanta via trade.

I don'y buy the notion that a new player cannot join a new NFL team mid-season and make a contribution. Certain positions like RB, pass-rusher, KR/PR should essentially be plug-and-play situations. Obviously, QB, OL, DB, etc are more difficult, but not impossible to integrate.

It also seems like the early NFL trade deadline also discourages in-season trading. At this early stage of the season, very few teams are ready/able to concede the season and move solid players. Baseball's July 31 deadline allows more time for teams to make this assessment.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SF2AZNiner:
I just wish we could improved our OLine at least last thing I want to see is both our 1st go to unproven O Lineman......

Because teams are always looking to trade away good Olinemen.
There wasnt any quality offensive lineman on the trading block anyway, I'm sure the F.O would have explored those options if there was a way to acquire a top notch RG or RT.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by maximill15:
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:
No.

Who would we have traded for?

steve smith!

They trading steve smith?

not officially, but i'm sure they would of listened when they were 0-3!
No, last minute deals always are overpayed, teams must be buils through the draft and when ready kick the fa to fullfill the team, trade at this point send you nowhere unless you have a huge hole by injured player in critical position and you're a superbowl legit contender
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
No not really, because I dont really expect this organization to make bold moves anymore.
Originally posted by susweel:
No not really, because I dont really expect this organization to make bold moves anymore.

this
No, this isn't baseball.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jimbagg:
I'm disappointed that the whole NFL is so negligent in using trades to improve their team. I understand that pro football is not pro baseball, but it's ridiculous how little player-for-player trade action takes place in the NFL.

I understand the NFL reluctance to trade valuable draft picks (potentially a low salary, high performance player for 4-6 years). But, there is enough variability in style of play from one team to another across the NFL, that skilled front office talent evaluators ought to be able to identify surplus talent that "doesn't fit the scheme" on their own team and shop that player for a player in a similar situation on another team. But this seldom happens in the NFL. The few Niner trades have been less than memorable, involving players like Levi Middlebrooks, Darrel Jackson and CB Davis from San Diego. Then again, Green Bay got Brett Favre from Atlanta via trade.

I don'y buy the notion that a new player cannot join a new NFL team mid-season and make a contribution. Certain positions like RB, pass-rusher, KR/PR should essentially be plug-and-play situations. Obviously, QB, OL, DB, etc are more difficult, but not impossible to integrate.

It also seems like the early NFL trade deadline also discourages in-season trading. At this early stage of the season, very few teams are ready/able to concede the season and move solid players. Baseball's July 31 deadline allows more time for teams to make this assessment.

I think it has more to do with

A: it's a win now league. trading guys for draft picks aren't going to help YOU win now.

B: Alot of teams/GM's/fans over value draft picks. Oh no a 2nd round pick is too much for this guy. Who would end up starting for you. Instead they keep that 2nd rounder and draft a depth guy!

C: most other sports (if not all) have that luxury tax mumbo jumbo that allows teams to go over the cap. The NFL is more firm than the other leagues. Basketball seems to be firm when it comes to salary cap and trades though.

D: football is the ultimate team sport so there might be something to that owners/gm's/coaches may be scared to add pieces mid way through the season.

• krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by queretano:
No, last minute deals always are overpayed, teams must be buils through the draft and when ready kick the fa to fullfill the team, trade at this point send you nowhere unless you have a huge hole by injured player in critical position and you're a superbowl legit contender

Have you seen our drafts recently? Don't kid yourself. We were built through free agency. Although I guess that's not saying much.
this thread is trippy....most of the responses are answering "How come the NFL does not have trades like the MLB or NBA?

But that wasn't the question. Yes, we all know the NFL does not have a lot of trades, especially in the few weeks before the deadline. But yet, NFL teams still do execute trades in this period.....SEE Jets and Browns. The question was....Are you disappointed the Niners were not one of the few teams trading???

To me the answer is an obvious yes. You are either a team on the rise looking for instant starter upgrade...or a team with an eye on the future and rebuilding. So once again, the Niners not being in a trade situation in October, tells me this team STILL is neither a team rising nor rebuilding. Just stuck on a stupid 7 to 9 win goal and hope to sneak in on through a pathetic division.
[ Edited by danimal on Oct 20, 2009 at 1:35 PM ]
Originally posted by TX9R:
Originally posted by SF2AZNiner:
I just wish we could improved our OLine at least last thing I want to see is both our 1st go to unproven O Lineman......

Because teams are always looking to trade away good Olinemen.

Have you ever thought other teams backups are better than our starters..
[ Edited by SF2AZNiner on Oct 20, 2009 at 1:40 PM ]
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by danimal:
this thread is trippy....most of the responses are answering "How come the NFL does not have trades like the MLB or NBA?

But that wasn't the question. Yes, we all know the NFL does not have a lot of trades, especially in the few weeks before the deadline. But yet, NFL teams still do execute trades in this period.....SEE Jets and Browns. The question was....Are you disappointed the Niners were not one of the few teams trading???

To me the answer is an obvious yes. You are either a team on the rise looking for instant starter upgrade...or a team with an eye on the future and rebuilding. So once again, the Niners not being in a trade situation in October, tells me this team STILL is neither a team rising nor rebuilding. Just stuck on a stupid 7 to 9 win goal and hope to sneak in on through a pathetic division.

Really, is that what you gathered out of it? Because that means there are about 30 other NFL teams who are in the same boat as us, who don't want to win in the future.

It could just be that there wasn't a deal out there worth making.
Originally posted by Lpgurrola:
Just like Adam S said would should of at least looked to trade for Peppers. Without a soild pass rush our defense can never be legit.

our defense looks legit to me (not counting the atl game), with a good pass rusher, we would easily be ranked top 5, however, i think we have more issues than the D, we need a qb and a OL
Share 49ersWebzone