There are 112 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Our defense under Nolan

yeah, just like someone said, he should of just been our DC instead of our HC.
Originally posted by Stevec9932:
Originally posted by RDB4216:
Originally posted by contrarios:
How come Nolan couldn't do in SF what he is doing in Denver? Or for that matter, look at Cardinals DC Billy Davis.


He just bought a PS3 when the price dropped a few weeks ago, and started playing Madden. He saw all the cool plays on there, and thought he'd try them out!

Honestly, I was driving home tonight and listening to the game - and was thinking the exact same thing. The blitzes they were calling and the pressure on Rivers was impressive. I would say it was because he wasn't calling the defensive plays while he was here, but he wasn't doing anywhere near this well in Washington either. Soooo

Its because we have Nate Clements that we gave 47 million to and they have a true shut down corner in champ bailey.

Bailey is better than Clements, I'll give you that. But here's the thing, it all starts up front with the pass rush. If you have an aggressive defense that is blitzing, your CB's only need to cover for a few seconds. You are asking them to NOT get burned. When you don't have a pass rush, you're asking your CB's to cover indefinatly, and not even a "shut down" corner can do that consistantly.

If you are giving the QB 6-7 seconds to throw, more often than not he is going to find an open target, and there is going to be a breakdown in coverage. It makes the secondary look bad, when really it isn't all their fault. On the flip side, a strong pass rush and aggressive blitz can make an average secondary look like "shut down" corners.
1.Because we have lesser talents

2. Nolan is now the DC. No more on the sideline with his suit trying to look like a head coach with all the aspects of the team in mind.
Originally posted by contrarios:
How come Nolan couldn't do in SF what he is doing in Denver? Or for that matter, look at Cardinals DC Billy Davis.

Maybe I'm stating the obvious here.

Mike Nolan is a better Defensive Coordinator than Head Coach.

Also, Billy Davis isn't have a lot of success in Arizona. Arizona has given up 265.2 yards passing per game, which places them just below the Tennessee Titans for second to last in this category. Granted, they have the best rush defense average per game, but this type of imbalance occurred in San Francisco as well.
Originally posted by tondiman:
Easy. Denver has better players on defense. Just a few years ago they were 14-2. They have to have some players left over from those years. Plus their coach is a preperation freak. They have a solid team.
Nolan said in San Fran the D would work if the players "would just execute". But i think to do that you need the best players. We're getting there, but are a few DLinemen away from it.


Right, about 2 months ago the press was having a field day with Denvers lack of defensive talent. Maybe you ought to look at last years Denver defense and then come back in here an defend it. For the past several years Denvers defense has stunk up the team.

My only guess is what somebody already stated. Nolan is the equivalent of Norv Turner, only on defense. Some coordinators ought to stay coordinators. Don't believe me look at some of the better ones that tried to run a team. I'll pass out some names: Romeo Crennell, Dick LaBeau, Greg Williams, and until this year Marv Lewis on defense. On offense, the forementioned Turner, Cam Cameron, Mike Mullarky, and I am sure there are others.

There's nothing wrong with being a solid coordinator because teams need them.

PS...Do a little research on why Shanahan got fired. You might find it enlightening.
[ Edited by nvninerfan1 on Oct 20, 2009 at 3:09 PM ]
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by contrarios:
He had a big hand in putting the defensive game plans together so he has input into the blitz packages. When he was with the 49ers, he was plain vanilla. Tonight, I saw nothing but A-gap blitzes, delayed blitzes, blitzes that took advantage of weak blocking running backs. They were constantly in Rivers' face. He turned over the 49ers defensive talent just as he has done in Denver. Is the talent level here in SF just that bad?

Yes...

We are built to stop the run not rush the passer.

This is not the case, the 9ers had a horrible game against the Falcons. Going into that game however we had the 6th ranked D and ranked 7th in sacks. The 9ers do not have a dominate passrusher what they do have is several good passrushers such as J.Smith, P.Haralson, R.McDonald. If they blitz Willis like they did earlier in the year I'm sure you will see more sacks out of him also.

THE DEFENSE IS NOT THE PROBLEM OF THIS TEAM IT IS THE OL!
Originally posted by Afghan49er:
i was thinking the same thing watching MNF...he was blitzing with denver but Nolan was vanilla like 90 percent of the time while here in S.F. hmm maybe he let his D.C. have total control out here, and he has total control out there in denver...?

It was quoted by Manusky himself Nolan was looking over his shoulder and not letting him do his own thing.
DC's and OC's don't always turn out to be good HC's.In Nolan's case he's better off as a DC.On the other hand when he was DC in Washington the owner sent him a 5 gallon bucket of vanilla ice cream before firing him a couple of weeks later so

  • NinersCluebat
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Mospeed:
Josh McDaniels and the other Denver coaches probably showed him a few things...
  • jcs
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,585
Originally posted by matt49er:
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by contrarios:
He had a big hand in putting the defensive game plans together so he has input into the blitz packages. When he was with the 49ers, he was plain vanilla. Tonight, I saw nothing but A-gap blitzes, delayed blitzes, blitzes that took advantage of weak blocking running backs. They were constantly in Rivers' face. He turned over the 49ers defensive talent just as he has done in Denver. Is the talent level here in SF just that bad?

Yes...

We are built to stop the run not rush the passer.

This is not the case, the 9ers had a horrible game against the Falcons. Going into that game however we had the 6th ranked D and ranked 7th in sacks. The 9ers do not have a dominate passrusher what they do have is several good passrushers such as J.Smith, P.Haralson, R.McDonald. If they blitz Willis like they did earlier in the year I'm sure you will see more sacks out of him also.

THE DEFENSE IS NOT THE PROBLEM OF THIS TEAM IT IS THE OL!

The D was exposed against Atlanta...Our CB's are too slow to cover man-man if we blitz against a good team. Our Dline is built to stop the run not rush the passer...we run the 3-4 and have only one proven pass rushing LB and that is in itself a reach.

We need a pass rushing specialist to play in Lawsons place. That could provide a quick fix.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
1.Because we have lesser talents

2. Nolan is now the DC. No more on the sideline with his suit trying to look like a head coach with all the aspects of the team in mind.

This... if I recall correctly, he was DC in Washington and they ranked pretty well... He is just a terrible head coach, unfortunately...
Nothing wrong with this defense.

We came out flat and not prepared for a dogfight against Atlanta. Deal with it. The defense nearly plays as good as any defense in the league before Atlanta but now we suck.

NINER TALK!!!!!!!!!!! YAYAYAYAYAYAY
  • B650
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 4,205
Originally posted by Reckless:
Nothing wrong with this defense.

We came out flat and not prepared for a dogfight against Atlanta. Deal with it. The defense nearly plays as good as any defense in the league before Atlanta but now we suck.

NINER TALK!!!!!!!!!!! YAYAYAYAYAYAY

The reason for the defense's play against Atlanta is none other than...

The offense. When you keep going three-and-out and your QB is loosening his chinstrap angrily, walking back to the sideline every couple of minutes, your defense isn't going to have a very good day.
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by Reckless:
Nothing wrong with this defense.

We came out flat and not prepared for a dogfight against Atlanta. Deal with it. The defense nearly plays as good as any defense in the league before Atlanta but now we suck.

NINER TALK!!!!!!!!!!! YAYAYAYAYAYAY

The reason for the defense's play against Atlanta is none other than...

The offense. When you keep going three-and-out and your QB is loosening his chinstrap angrily, walking back to the sideline every couple of minutes, your defense isn't going to have a very good day.

you didn't watch the game did you? The defense gave up a 95 yard drive, then a fumble on the kick return, then another 40 yard drive for a TD... 14 points where the offense had no control... Let's not forget how the Oline gave up a sack prior to Atlanta's 95 yard drive, putting them out of field goal range...

I am sorry, but if you think the offense is at fault for the D giving up 21 points in 5 minutes of football, you need to rewatch the game...
I watched the game.

This was the first time all season where you can say the defense played like chumps.

A bad game doesn't mean we have a bad defense. The Giants just got throttled. Didn't record a sack, 48 points. I guess there fans should go on a forum and say how bad the defense will continue to get.

Its not our blitzing. Its the timing. We conservatively blitzed Atlanta. And blitzed into there protection. I'm all for Sings WE WILL BEAT YOU mantra. The magic defense is good just with White turning Clements he was able to just break away. GOT BEAT. Throw it around he got paid this and that. But its like if this guy does well we don't recognize it AT ALL.

It was a bad loss. I think if anything this team has proven it will bounce back.
Because he can focus totally on the defense in Denver...and he has a couple of playmakers in Dumervil and Bailey to build around. They added a number of savvy vets who've blended in nicely. In SF, he had too much responsibility for a first-time head coach...now w/Broncs, he can do what he does best, coordinate the defense.