LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 286 users in the forums

Our defense under Nolan

Shop Find 49ers gear online
How come Nolan couldn't do in SF what he is doing in Denver? Or for that matter, look at Cardinals DC Billy Davis.
i was thinking the same thing watching MNF...he was blitzing with denver but Nolan was vanilla like 90 percent of the time while here in S.F. hmm maybe he let his D.C. have total control out here, and he has total control out there in denver...?
Originally posted by contrarios:
How come Nolan couldn't do in SF what he is doing in Denver? Or for that matter, look at Cardinals DC Billy Davis.

He just bought a PS3 when the price dropped a few weeks ago, and started playing Madden. He saw all the cool plays on there, and thought he'd try them out!

Honestly, I was driving home tonight and listening to the game - and was thinking the exact same thing. The blitzes they were calling and the pressure on Rivers was impressive. I would say it was because he wasn't calling the defensive plays while he was here, but he wasn't doing anywhere near this well in Washington either. Soooo

cause he wasnt the DC he was the HC
He had a big hand in putting the defensive game plans together so he has input into the blitz packages. When he was with the 49ers, he was plain vanilla. Tonight, I saw nothing but A-gap blitzes, delayed blitzes, blitzes that took advantage of weak blocking running backs. They were constantly in Rivers' face. He turned over the 49ers defensive talent just as he has done in Denver. Is the talent level here in SF just that bad?
  • dust-7
  • Info N/A
He had a big hand in putting the defensive game plans together so he has input into the blitz packages. When he was with the 49ers, he was plain vanilla.

Answered your own question. He was HC. We didn't consistently see much QB pressure. Haven't since before Erickson. Haven't for years.

Still don't see it.

Manny, if you'll remember, tried rushing but always seemed to go around, way around, instead of trying inside. I don't know if you remember the hype when Manny signed. But there was a lot of talk about Dean, Haley and elephants. Lots of talk.
Because the spotlight is not on him over in Denver. He's the DC. DCs around the league don't get much glory unless they shut a great offense down.

Over here in SF, he was dealing with Alex Smith and the offense stinking it up all the time.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
He had a big hand in putting the defensive game plans together so he has input into the blitz packages. When he was with the 49ers, he was plain vanilla. Tonight, I saw nothing but A-gap blitzes, delayed blitzes, blitzes that took advantage of weak blocking running backs. They were constantly in Rivers' face. He turned over the 49ers defensive talent just as he has done in Denver. Is the talent level here in SF just that bad?

Yes...

We are built to stop the run not rush the passer.
Josh McDaniels and the other Denver coaches probably showed him a few things...

Simple, he's the defensive version of Norv Turner.

Easy. Denver has better players on defense. Just a few years ago they were 14-2. They have to have some players left over from those years. Plus their coach is a preperation freak. They have a solid team.
Nolan said in San Fran the D would work if the players "would just execute". But i think to do that you need the best players. We're getting there, but are a few DLinemen away from it.
It doesn't hurt having a beast pass rush like Elvis Dumervil&a true shutdown corner in the Champ Bailey. They simply have more talent on their D. Were one great pass rusher&a ballhawk safety away from being SOLID.
we still don't blitz enough
Simple Denver just has better players. Niners have no pass rusher on the roster point blank. Broncos have Dumervil. One guy that can beat his man on every snap creates opportunities for other players. Not to mention Champ locks down way better than Nate and Dawkins is 100 times better than any safety the Niners have.
Originally posted by RDB4216:

He just bought a PS3 when the price dropped a few weeks ago, and started playing Madden. He saw all the cool plays on there, and thought he'd try them out!

Honestly, I was driving home tonight and listening to the game - and was thinking the exact same thing. The blitzes they were calling and the pressure on Rivers was impressive. I would say it was because he wasn't calling the defensive plays while he was here, but he wasn't doing anywhere near this well in Washington either. Soooo

Its because we have Nate Clements that we gave 47 million to and they have a true shut down corner in champ bailey.
Share 49ersWebzone