There are 90 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Can we have extra lineman to block?

Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
we do that. Sims usually comes in as the TE.

yeah although that's usually on the goal line packages.

-9fA
It would be pretty crazy and a different formation by having snyder&sims act as the 2 TE's in a singleback formation with VD&Crabs as Wr's and have VD motion like he's going for a reverse to be the lead blocker with Gore.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

yeah although that's usually on the goal line packages.

-9fA

Lets throw to him, betcha he will be wide open

Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
It would be pretty crazy and a different formation by having snyder&sims act as the 2 TE's in a singleback formation with VD&Crabs as Wr's and have VD motion like he's going for a reverse to be the lead blocker with Gore.

Put down the Madden.

This is an interesting question because Atlanta was doing this against us when we played them, although it was an extra tight end. they basically went 2 TE,1 Wr, HB,FB against us. It gives the offense the flexibility to keep more people in for maximum protection or send the back and/or TE into the pattern. This is something I wouldn't mind the 49ers doing since they have Delanie and Vernon at TE and for the WR put Morgan out there until Crabtree gets up to speed.
Yes, we can bring in extra linemen to block. Unfortunatly, we are still limited to only 11 men on the field.

Yeah, we did this against the Falcons on that 4th and 1 situation, where Hill shot it to Davis.

We stacked up the right side to sell the run (with Sims/Snyder/Davis), and bootlegged it out to Vernon. It was probably the only play in that entire game Atlanta couldn't predict, LOL!
[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Oct 19, 2009 at 9:59 PM ]
With the way the linemen on this team block I don't think 9 offensive linemen would be enough. I have never seen offensive guards not even get their hands on a defensive linemen as many times as I have seen with this team this year.
Originally posted by redrathman:

Put down the Madden.

I said it would be "crazy" but I guess someone has never heard of the term "Jumbo" package. I guess it was madden too when we had Anthony Adams line up at FB&it's Madden when the Pats&Chiefs use Mike Vrabel a LB as a TE on top of that ask him to get open and catch the football for a TD.
I can has six offensive linemen?

Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Originally posted by English:
Would a seven man line be enough???!!!

so true... Atlanta was getting pressure when only sending 3... sad....

My thoughts on Atlanta:

Atlanta should've lost to the Bears last night. They aren't really that good. They got a rough schedule coming up too. They have to play the Saints twice and play in New York twice. Good chance they finish 9-7.

What happened with Atlanta was just one of those unexplainable things, like the Raiders beating the Eagles. We couldn't run, pass, block, or do anything at all against them. Just a bad day.

I do agree with you that I think the game had more to do with the niners playing bad than ATL playing dominant. I can think of 3 things off the top of my head that showed how stupid our team played. Coffee not being on the field, Morgan slowing down and getting caught from behind, Dre Bly's taunting INT turned fumble. I would mention Roman taking bad angles, but that is really nothing new.

I think ATL is definitely the better team, but not 35 points better. I think we have potential to have an offense a lot like that if we had a decent OL and QB.

Put down the Madden.

I said it would be "crazy" but I guess someone has never heard of the term "Jumbo" package. I guess it was madden too when we had Anthony Adams line up at FB&it's Madden when the Pats&Chiefs use Mike Vrabel a LB as a TE on top of that ask him to get open and catch the football for a TD.

Actually, I have heard of a jumbo package. It's substituting a wide receiver with a tight end. This is incredibly common in the NFL. I'm not sure how your comment further improves the sell of your absurd idea.

Do you remember the Anthony Adams at fullback experiment? I'll take you back to 2005, when first year coach Mike Nolan benched Pro Bowl fullback Fred Beasley for journeyman Chris Hetherington mid season on recommendation from Bishop Harris. Hetherington wasn't getting the job done in short yardage situations, so Adams was used. Adams was less than effective.

Mike Vrabel is used as a decoy in Josh McDaniels' goal line package. All of his career catches have been for touchdowns, which doesn't say much to his ability to play on the offensive side of the ball on a regular basis.

I wasn't going to explain the absurdity of your idea, but now you've forced my hand.

First and foremost, lining up Snyder and Sims isn't directly possible because they both play Left Tackle. This would mean Snyder, who is currently slated to play Right Guard against the Texans, to slide to Tight End. Logistically, this would be a total nightmare for both Snyder, Sims, Pashos and whomever is now playing Right Guard. Also, protection at Tight End is different than Left Tackle.

I'm not sure about Davis motioning for a reverse, as he would need to come set behind the line of scrimmage. You might be thinking of Arena Football on this particular aspect. Also take into account Davis' ability to block from the fullback position. This isn't something he does regularly.

Finally, this formation would signify the defense to sit in zone and stack the box with eight. The offense would be even more limited in that both Snyder and Sims aren't pass catching Tight Ends. Sending Gore out of the backfield would mean losing inside protection on a stunt or missed block.

Your post fully illustrates the absolute disconnect between most football fans and the sport they so desperately love. You have absolutely no concept of how horrible this sort of situation would work out, possibly outside of five yards and goal to go.

Put down the Madden.

Actually, I have heard of a jumbo package. It's substituting a wide receiver with a tight end. This is incredibly common in the NFL. I'm not sure how your comment further improves the sell of your absurd idea.

Do you remember the Anthony Adams at fullback experiment? I'll take you back to 2005, when first year coach Mike Nolan benched Pro Bowl fullback Fred Beasley for journeyman Chris Hetherington mid season on recommendation from Bishop Harris. Hetherington wasn't getting the job done in short yardage situations, so Adams was used. Adams was less than effective.

Mike Vrabel is used as a decoy in Josh McDaniels' goal line package. All of his career catches have been for touchdowns, which doesn't say much to his ability to play on the offensive side of the ball on a regular basis.

I wasn't going to explain the absurdity of your idea, but now you've forced my hand.

First and foremost, lining up Snyder and Sims isn't directly possible because they both play Left Tackle. This would mean Snyder, who is currently slated to play Right Guard against the Texans, to slide to Tight End. Logistically, this would be a total nightmare for both Snyder, Sims, Pashos and whomever is now playing Right Guard. Also, protection at Tight End is different than Left Tackle.

I'm not sure about Davis motioning for a reverse, as he would need to come set behind the line of scrimmage. You might be thinking of Arena Football on this particular aspect. Also take into account Davis' ability to block from the fullback position. This isn't something he does regularly.

Finally, this formation would signify the defense to sit in zone and stack the box with eight. The offense would be even more limited in that both Snyder and Sims aren't pass catching Tight Ends. Sending Gore out of the backfield would mean losing inside protection on a stunt or missed block.

Your post fully illustrates the absolute disconnect between most football fans and the sport they so desperately love. You have absolutely no concept of how horrible this sort of situation would work out, possibly outside of five yards and goal to go.

FAIL. That is what I said with VD as a WR be simply for an extra blocker. Great job though,you're truly on your way to becoming our new OL coach&be in the super bowl soon as the next great upcoming head coach.
Originally posted by Psinex:
Originally posted by bigmur49:
I might look real stupid but I saw a clip from the game last night where Chicago brought in an extra lineman who lined up as a tight end to provide better blocking. My question is this:

Could we have a two tight end set that basically has 2 lineman in those spots.
Therefore we basically have a 7 man line?

Could still have a 3-receiver set (no tailback) and I would think all day to find an open guy? Or have Gore stay back to run or fake run, then go wide for the screen etc.

Probably ridiculous, no need to blast me, just asking a question.

I'm curious, with Vernon's ascension as a receiving tight end, has our offensive line suffered because we're not keeping him in to block as often? Maybe Vernon helped cover up how bad our line was all along, since he is a Pro Bowl blocking talent.

VD could probly be an all pro tackle, soon to be an all pro all around TE.

Put down the Madden.

FAIL. That is what I said with VD as a WR be simply for an extra blocker. Great job though,you're truly on your way to becoming our new OL coach&be in the super bowl soon as the next great upcoming head coach.

You're delusional. Also, spouting off FAIL is about the worst comeback I've ever seen on the WZ.

Feel proud.