There are 60 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is S.F. fast enough?

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
on a serious note tho, you see players that are considered "game changers" ala Chris Johnson, Andre Johnson, Slaton, Desean Jackson and what do they have in common? SPEED! We lack it, we lack big play potential. Hopefully crabtree's strength and supposed "speed" can help us in this area. Let's not beat around the bush in this day and age possession receivers and bruising backs are a cushion for leads, not to come back for a win or race 90 yards like the electric players that we DONT have. think of it like this -- when's the last time a KR touched the ball and you were like HE MIGHT GO! Arnaz Battle? Delanie Walker? Nate Clements? No way. (I might catch s**t for that statement)

ps - we are slow, just check our madden ratings!! only gore is in the 90s!

DHB, McFadden, Stanford Rout, Alexander Wright, etc all have speed are they game changers?

Just cause you are a "game changer"

Maybe we should trade both our 1sts for DHB cause he could be our game changer

So we should strive to be the slowest team in the league like we already are...

Lets strive to get a better Oline and QB before we start screaming for speed

on a serious note tho, you see players that are considered "game changers" ala Chris Johnson, Andre Johnson, Slaton, Desean Jackson and what do they have in common? SPEED! We lack it, we lack big play potential. Hopefully crabtree's strength and supposed "speed" can help us in this area. Let's not beat around the bush in this day and age possession receivers and bruising backs are a cushion for leads, not to come back for a win or race 90 yards like the electric players that we DONT have. think of it like this -- when's the last time a KR touched the ball and you were like HE MIGHT GO! Arnaz Battle? Delanie Walker? Nate Clements? No way. (I might catch s**t for that statement)

DHB, McFadden, Stanford Rout, Alexander Wright, etc all have speed are they game changers?

Why don't we need both?

Why don't we need both?

We do,

but those other two are more important right now.

If you could pick between a Justin Smiley or Devin Hester... who would you chose?
Not at WR. Bruce and Battle are pretty slow. Morgan isn't a burner and Crabs isn't a speedy guy either. Hill is the fast one in that group.
Originally posted by matt49er:
Originally posted by B_Carmine:
since we released rossum, yes

Rossum's a KR this article was mainly talking about the defense. Rossum was very overrated by this board IMO

Overrated? Pray tell who was a better returner that we had on the team before Rossum was cut?

That's not overrated, that's fact. Overrated is when you have guys that can do the job just as well. Battle hadn't gotten a return TD in years.

I fail to see how people can say that Rossum was overrated. But here we are yet again with someone saying that very thing.

Insanity I tell ya, pure insanity.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by backontop:
in key positions where speed is needes such as CB's and Safeties I say no we are not fast enough.
What's concerning is that the GM has a "chart" in his office with each player's 40 time. Why does the GM have this - shouldn't this be a scouts responsibility or a player personnel guy's responsibility. I'd much rather have Scott concerned with actual PLAY. How about a chart of who's giving up the most sacks or a list of defensive players out there who could instantly help with pass-rush? Anyone notice how instantly legit the Raiders D looks with their recent pass-rushing addition? Could you imagine this defense with Smith on one end and Seymore on the other? S
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:

I agree with you that there are busts in this category, like in any phase of the NFL. However, what my point is that a lot of the highlights are of FAST players juking one defender and blazing to the endzone. When's the last time that happened? Oh ya, Morgan got caught from behind. And I think you cannot put DHB in the category he is a rookie on a terrible team. Everyone does terribly with the Raiders, look at Darren McFadden for example. Standford route. You're using a terrible team. Let's look at good teams:

Vikings -> Harvin/AP Both are electric and change the game. Example: Harvin's blazing speed got them a TD to stop our momentum completely in the game vs them. AP he's just incredible

Eagles -> Jackson had almost 1000 yards last year and many of his highlights were him running past defenders. Now they have Maclin as well, who looked good last game RUNNING PAST defenders.

I could go on but I don't want to. The point is I have NOT seen ANY of our players on offense run by anyone with pure speed, hence, we have no players with game-changing potential on offense. On defense, we look pretty good, but had trouble with speedy Roddy White. I will reserve my judgment on team speed for D until we finish playing vs. Slaton/Johnson. Either way we are slow.

If Jamarcus could get DHB the ball, who knows -- but he also has terrible hands so that doesn't help.

You forget to mention the players who are NOT burners that are game changers. How bout Fitzgerald and Boldin? Not known as burners, but would you not agree that they are game changers?
What about San Fran's own Jerry Rice?

Yea, Colston... others. I understand this but our ENTIRE team is slow. They have players that can stretch the field to be aware of also. Colston has henderson, Boldin IS pretty fast. Both Fitz and Boldin are faster than our WRs we use, IMHO. Not only that, they are way better in pure skill.

And to the other guy that said they have O-Line, yes, this is true -- but on the other hand if we had a guy that could bounce to the outside, it really would be game-changing. Teams clog the middle for our running game -- Kory Sheets (let's say he could block) would be great on screens, tosses, etc. But then again our playcalling might not allow for that...

All I'm saying is that if we had the defenses respecting us for a player that, if given a chance, could outrun their team, the teams could not as easily stack the box. A player with elite speed is beginning to be more and more of a necessity in the NFL.
Is SF fast enough? Defensively one of the fastest units in the league.

Offensively well if we want fast then we need a change at QB. Because honestly if we want fast and fast outruns the delivery of the ball then wtf is the point of being fast? Nevermind the eternity that it takes to COMPLETE said Pass. It's like watching a moonshot go into orbit and waiting for it to return.

~Ceadder
So many homers here Goldson is NOT NOT NOT one of the fastest safeties in the NFL. Ed Reed, Troy Polamalu, Donte Whitner, Bob Sanders are the fastest safeties in the NFL and their are probably faster ones then that. Goldson looks fast because he flies all over the field he has good range but hes not a top end speed guy which is why Roddy White burned him on his first TD. Clements is the same he has quick feet but he DOES NOT have top end speed neither does spencer and neither does Lewis. Our DB's should be our fastest guys on the defense hands down and our middle linebacker is. That's nice for Willis but bad for the team. Offense is only missing a burner to threaten teams with the deep pass other then that were pretty good for team speed on offense. But yes the defense is in need of a top speed guy for sure in the backfield that is.

P.S. I've been hyping Taylor Mays for ever and I'm a HUGE USC fan but after watching Tate dominate him all game long I have to say he's not a good safety he tries to kill everyone and never makes a play on the ball. Although he usually decapitates people he actually got the worst of Tate TWICE! So i apologize on that fact I haven't watched Eric Berry much outside of the Florida game but I'll look out for him Mays let me down big time.
Lets put alex smith at qb, Im pretty sure he is faster than Shaun Hill

Lets put alex smith at qb, Im pretty sure he is faster than Shaun Hill

He's had a lot of running practice before.
we should trade for dhb and make him a cornerback

he cant catch for s**t and is very fast

he'll just run past the receiver and not attempt to tackle
Willis to FS will solve all the speed problems... Oh ya and manny at SS....
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
People are confusing the importness of speed with quickness. The Niner teams that won championships were not built on straight ahead fast guys. In fact I don't know that we ever had one. But they all generally had good burst and ability to change directions quickly, along with great discipline in their assignments. VD is the fastest TE ever, but has that really translated on the field? I can't fault the offense because here we are on our 28th OC in a row, you can't play with quickness unless the offense is 2nd nature from being in it so long.
Now the defense is different. We've been in some form of a 3-4 for about 5 years now. We're even running a very simplified stripped down version of it. The youngest guy on the unit is Willis, who happens to be the best guy on the unit, so scheme is no excuse. Personally, I would still rather see us play a 4-3 and get one legit pass rusher to complete it. Much easier than finding a true 3-4 NT now that half the league is running it.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home