There are 102 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is S.F. fast enough?

You know I would love to have the opportunity to write sports articles or cover sports especially the NFL/49ers in some capacity.
When I read an article like this it frustrates me alot to see that idiots like this have my dream job
John Crumpacker, Chronicle Staff Writer's article Quick read: Is S.F. fast enough?
Team looked slow against Falcons, but says it's fine:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/10/17/SPN31A5OK9.DTL

one of the dumbest questions you could ask IMO. any team that gets beat by 35 is going to look slow anyone paying attention knew the 9ers were very flat last Sunday.

My point is anyone paying attention to the 49ers know they are not a slow team and infact as is pointed out in the article have guys who are the fastest at their position like V.Davis/D.Goldston/P.Willis/M.Lawson add in guys like B.Jones/M.Crabtree/J.Morgan/D.Walker who may not be burners but are fast players Crumpacker is an idiot IMO.
[ Edited by matt49er on Oct 18, 2009 at 12:08 PM ]
since we released rossum, yes
Originally posted by B_Carmine:
since we released rossum, yes

Rossum's a KR this article was mainly talking about the defense. Rossum was very overrated by this board IMO
  • ZRF80
  • Member
  • Posts: 13,551
It's not a dumb question. I think a lot of us noted it (and mentioned it during gametime) in last week's loss. Morgan is an aberration because he actually gave up on his pass, thinking he was in for the TD 20 yards out. As a matter of fact, he had many mental lapses during that game and the game prior against STL.

As for our secondary, we got burned by the Atlanta offense. Their receivers looked 2 steps faster than any of our defenders, and you can include the play after Sing's pep rally timeout as well.

Im not saying San Fran is slow, but they got beat soundly by ATL in all facets of the game............

Good read, IMO....and Im glad reporters took time to question the players speed after that embarrassing loss..........
in key positions where speed is needes such as CB's and Safeties I say no we are not fast enough.
Originally posted by backontop:
in key positions where speed is needes such as CB's and Safeties I say no we are not fast enough.

Goldston is very very fast among the fastest S in the NFL. Clements though not a burner has plenty of speed I would say the same for Spencer/Bly.
Originally posted by backontop:
in key positions where speed is needes such as CB's and Safeties I say no we are not fast enough.
Boy did we miss the boat on Greg Williams. He would be a great DC for 49ers. I forgot. The Saints have all the talent. We only have slow players. When we lose.
Originally posted by matt49er:
Originally posted by B_Carmine:
since we released rossum, yes

Rossum's a KR this article was mainly talking about the defense. Rossum was very overrated by this board IMO

i didn't read it
we should trade for dhb and make him a cornerback

he cant catch for s**t and is very fast


[ Edited by ads_2006 on Oct 18, 2009 at 1:03 PM ]
Originally posted by matt49er:
You know I would love to have the opportunity to write sports articles or cover sports especially the NFL/49ers in some capacity.
When I read an article like this it frustrates me alot to see that idiots like this have my dream job
John Crumpacker, Chronicle Staff Writer's article Quick read: Is S.F. fast enough?
Team looked slow against Falcons, but says it's fine:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/10/17/SPN31A5OK9.DTL

one of the dumbest questions you could ask IMO. any team that gets beat by 35 is going to look slow anyone paying attention knew the 9ers were very flat last Sunday.

My point is anyone paying attention to the 49ers know they are not a slow team and infact as is pointed out in the article have guys who are the fastest at their position like V.Davis/D.Goldston/P.Willis/M.Lawson add in guys like B.Jones/M.Crabtree/J.Morgan/D.Walker who may not be burners but are fast players Crumpacker is an idiot IMO.

I second that
I think this is a very relevant question. We have slow receivers. Even though Morgan gave up on that play, he has average speed for a receiver (even Scotty admitted that). Our RBs aren't that fast either. On D, we do have fast LBs. Although, our CBs aren't that fast. Also, is Goldson really one of the fastest safeties in the league? Compared to Reed, Polamalu, among others? I don't think he has elite speed.

I think our D has adequate game speed. Our front seven flies to the ball usually. We could definitely use some game breaking speed on offense. Besides Gore, we don't have any big play, game changing guys. Vernon ran a 4.3 at the combine, but I think his game speed doesn't reflect that. He has made some strides this year, but he isn't a big play threat still.
Speed is only noticed when you are winning. When the 49ers are winning we "fly to the ball" When we are losing "it takes 4-5 defenders to bring the other guy down"
Originally posted by backontop:
Speed is only noticed when you are winning. When the 49ers are winning we "fly to the ball" When we are losing "it takes 4-5 defenders to bring the other guy down"

thank you
i cant read this s**t