LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 272 users in the forums

The 2nd worst offensive line in football

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Listen guys.. The oline has had its ups and downs. Given the importance of the position i do think we should draft 2 OLinemen with the first three picks..depending on whos available and when.
HOWEVER, how long have we seen our DLine stuffed time and time........AND TIME AGAIN!!
Have you guys already forgotten what brett favre did to use a few weeks ago?? do we remember why?!?!?!? umm maybe cause he had ALL DAAAAAAAAAAY!! the entire drive he did what ever he wanted. He coulda had coffee with AP in the backfield......AND dip in his cookies.......THEN throw the game winning TD.
This is just ONE episode....HOW ABOUT ALL OF LAST YEAR?
Someone to get to the passer is our weakest point. maybe not our priority (again the OL is the most important position), but it is our weakest point.
It just felt soooo good in the game against Seattle (was it seattle?) that our rush (justin smith) was plowing through their OLine.
The whole D will play better if the QB has less time.
First pick: OL unless the best pass rusher on board is available, and the second two either OL or Dline.

oh yeah.......and pray for a sleeper QB in the later rounds.............
Yeah nothing too surprising there.

A lot of it is due to the poor play from the Gs. Both have been a disappointment, especially Rachal since he came on strong at the end of last year.

By the way, Gore's two runs at this point look more of a statistical anomaly than anything else.

-9fA
Does it bother you that after five years, McLoughan has managed to produce the 2nd worst OL in the league, the most basic element in the offense, if not the entire team?

It bothers me ... alot!

It is difficult to envision a bright future for this team unless we have better results from our personnel department.
Originally posted by excelsior:
Does it bother you that after five years, McLoughan has managed to produce the 2nd worst OL in the league, the most basic element in the offense, if not the entire team?

It bothers me ... alot!

It is difficult to envision a bright future for this team unless we have better results from our personnel department.

McCLUELESS is a tool and a fraud. He still has many WZers believing in him. But after years and years and this is what we have. 4 / 5 offensive linemen that can't block. Multiple 2nd round busts at Guard and some questionable 3rd round picks also and beyond. He keeps squandering picks and not getting better players.
Originally posted by amir_tn80:
This is probably the worst 49ers offensive line I have ever seen in the 22 years I've been a fan. I remember saying the same thing in '04. Then in '05. Then in '07. Then in '08. Evidently the front office thinks offensive line is a luxury item the team can do without just like a pass rush and a competent quarterback.
Maybe if everyone on this forum promises to buy a Jersey of whoever the 9ers draft in the first round, even if it is an OL, they will draft correctly. How many Staley jerseys have you seen? Still surprised they made that move
atlanta didn't allow a sack today
Originally posted by DynastyChile:
This is probably the worst 49ers offensive line I have ever seen in the 22 years I've been a fan. I remember saying the same thing in '04. Then in '05. Then in '07. Then in '08. Evidently the front office thinks offensive line is a luxury item the team can do without just like a pass rush and a competent quarterback.

hahah this post pretty much wraps up every problem this franchise has had within the past 7 years.

We draft plenty of them. They just happen to be projects, busts or kicking butt on other teams now.
In a testament to McCloughan and Nolan's wisdom about OL -- "Guards are replaceable":
1. Kosier starting in Dallas
2. Smiley starting and doing very well in Miami
3. Dahl starting at RG in Atlanta -- a guy the 9ers kept trying at tackle and left on the practice squad.

Seems to be a problem evaluating and developing OL talent.

Which also falls SQUARELY on the OL/OC coaches and their schemes. Clearly the schemes don't fit the talent - and vice versa.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

It bothers me ... alot!

McCLUELESS is a tool and a fraud. He still has many WZers believing in him. But after years and years and this is what we have. 4 / 5 offensive linemen that can't block. Multiple 2nd round busts at Guard and some questionable 3rd round picks also and beyond. He keeps squandering picks and not getting better players.

McCloughan has definitely NOT been perfect...average at best. However, I do believe that this team has just had HORRIBLE coaching on the O-Line. Instead of having someone in there that is VERY good, they bring in castoffs and when things go bad, the HC moves players around on the line. This creates a lack of continuity and just kills this offense. My observation is that this line 1) do not engage d-lineman quick enough and back peddle too quickly, and 2) 1 on 1 match ups far too often. This seems more like coaching issues than player issues.

It bothers me ... alot!

Agreed!!!!
I don't know if our O-line problems are as much to do with personnell as they are to do with coaching and scheme. Its already been documented in another thread how Forester couldn't get the ravens oline going but when Harbaugh brought in his guy, he got them playing good with the same personnel. IMO its more coaching and the scheme than personnel. that said I still think we should take at least 1 offensive lineman, probably a guard, with one of our top 3 picks in the draft. this year if theline shuffle doesn't help than I don't know what more we can do. With raye,forester and sully iys not gonna get any better and you wonder why our offense sucks. Look at those coaches and ask me again.
Originally posted by teeohh:

And I think it's like their third or fourth straight game without allowing a sack as well...

I thought, after the Pashos trade, that our O-line would be fine with above-average markers like Staley, Heitmann, and Pashos anchoring our line. Still, the O-line has been a large disappointment this year. Very upsetting... It seems we really don't have the personnel to run this smashmouth style of footballl that Singletary and Raye wanna run...
Originally posted by DShanghai69er:
Originally posted by teeohh:

And I think it's like their third or fourth straight game without allowing a sack as well...

I thought, after the Pashos trade, that our O-line would be fine with above-average markers like Staley, Heitmann, and Pashos anchoring our line. Still, the O-line has been a large disappointment this year. Very upsetting... It seems we really don't have the personnel to run this smashmouth style of footballl that Singletary and Raye wanna run...

I'm with you on this. I think Pashos still needed time to adjust to the offense -- remember, he was just thrown into the fire. I just hope this is the case and then he will develop into a serviceable tackle for the remainder of the year. Move Snyder to RG and Wragge to LG. Hopefully that'll work?

LOL.

To be fair, the FO has tried to do its part by spending high draft picks on Baas, Staley, Rachal, and Snyder; and signing guys like Jonas Jennings and Marvel Smith to FA contracts, and having holdover OL like Kwame Harris (1st rounder), Eric Heitmann (still playing) and Justin Smiley (having a good 2nd career with Miami).

Getting these guys to develop together and play as a cohesive unit, I pin that on the coaches, plus the other underlying factors you mention above - competent QB, etc.
Share 49ersWebzone