There are 225 users in the forums

The 2nd worst offensive line in football

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Envy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Super5:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Interesting stats in this article by Football Outsiders. It shows the Ninets to have the 2nd worst line in football better than only the Chiefs:

http://footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

This has to be the top priority for the Niners next year. I think the team has to draft an OT with the first pick, and an OG with the 2nd round pick.

I agree 100%

This will be more important than the QB and pass rusher positions

It should've been a top priority this year

They cannot go into next years draft with the same mentality of drafting the best player available unless they are able to address the problem through FA also.

100% agreed. Said before the draft that we need to fix the holes before we can sign luxury players.
Originally posted by Envy:
Originally posted by Super5:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Interesting stats in this article by Football Outsiders. It shows the Ninets to have the 2nd worst line in football better than only the Chiefs:

http://footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

This has to be the top priority for the Niners next year. I think the team has to draft an OT with the first pick, and an OG with the 2nd round pick.

I agree 100%

This will be more important than the QB and pass rusher positions

It should've been a top priority this year

They cannot go into next years draft with the same mentality of drafting the best player available unless they are able to address the problem through FA also.

100% agreed. Said before the draft that we need to fix the holes before we can sign luxury players.

About time there's some great valid points on this forum. As much as Michael Oher would've been nice we've seen in the past sometimes when we draft a "need" it has fired back on us but Crabtree WAS the OVERALL best player available and last time I checked we still needed a playmaker at the position.
P.S-Couldnt agree more about OT with one of our two 1st round picks and a OG with our second. With our other 1st round pick I believe if there's a player that has slipped we will go for the best player available but would a dream to get a OLB for our 3-4...Stronger pass rush=Takes pressure off the secondary that everyone is IN&OUT of love with every other week. A safety can be addressed in 3rd round/FA.
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on Oct 18, 2009 at 4:25 PM ]
Originally posted by sanfran49:

4 threads and you have only posted this in 3 of them. Way to contribute to the forum
Scot either overestimates the talent on the Oline or his ability to draft them. For all the cap money and amount of draft picks he's had to play with, let's face it, he's been wrong too often.
Originally posted by wolfpack52:
Rams Raiders and Bills have worse lines but the niners are bottom 5. Even with great D and a few weapons on O you cant be better then average with a bottom5 O-line. Oher would of been better for the 9er this year even if Crabtree showed up on time. They were just trying to sell jerseys. 9ers will do it again next year.

Right, draft Oher,who is doing well, and paid Smiley his money, because you CANT find guards anywhere. We wouldnt even be having this conversation.
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Scot either overestimates the talent on the Oline or his ability to draft them. For all the cap money and amount of draft picks he's had to play with, let's face it, he's been wrong too often.

he doesn't even draft them! it's unreal. Staley = good job. but wtf this year did he magically think the s**tty linemen we had were gonna suddenly be studs?

1st 1st round pick RT
2 1st round pick OG
1st 2nd round pick OLB/DE

Unless we can land Berry/Mays i don't think we should do anything in the first round except offensive line. yes i understand we have a pass rush problem, but honestly our D can amend for that somewhat -- it's not completely non-existant. our O-Line on the other hand, is absolutely an embarassing s**tty mess. f**k, go 3 OLine this draft with the top 3 picks. lock it up so it's not a problem for the next 6 years. if we combo and move up to get a QB im going to throw up
correct, carry on
I think there is mass exaggeration of how bad our OL really is. No, I'm not suggesting that our OL play has been good. Only that the personnel is good... but for whatever reason, there is too much confusion leading to execution problems.

Look at our OL, and you will see a 1st round LT... a 2nd round LG and RG... a steady late round gem at OC... and a 3rd round RT. We also brought in former Pro Bowl OT Marvel Smith, but his back wasn't what we hoped for.

Just looking at where they were drafted obviously doesn't guarantee they will live up to their draft value. Can they all be playing better? Hellz yeah... Could our QB and OC make adjustments to help make the OL play better? They should try, hellz yeah. My only point is that the fans seem to be blaming the OL for not being good enough. I'm just trying to get you to consider the possibility that they are good enough, but will continue to struggle unless other things are altered.
We certainly have problems on the right side of the line.

But when I watched Joe Flacco play against Minnesota, its not like he was just sitting back there in a pocket all day.

He had people CONSTANTLY in his face, yet he simply GOT RID of the ball.
If it was one of our quarterbacks, he would have been sacked 10 times.

Quarterbacking in the NFL is no joke. It requires a special skill.

Some quarterbacks feel the pressure and get rid of the ball. Some don't.

The difference leads to all of these half-flawed statistics.

• jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Crappy oline play coupled with a well below average QB= 2nd worst offense.

Don't forget the Below average WR's and poor RB play
Originally posted by j3xperience:
raiders have a better line? ha. i doubt that.

Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by sanfran49:

4 threads and you have only posted this in 3 of them. Way to contribute to the forum

He's taking baby steps like our offense
[ Edited by Giant9er on Oct 18, 2009 at 3:26 PM ]
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:

he doesn't even draft them! it's unreal. Staley = good job. but wtf this year did he magically think the s**tty linemen we had were gonna suddenly be studs?

1st 1st round pick RT
2 1st round pick OG
1st 2nd round pick OLB/DE

Unless we can land Berry/Mays i don't think we should do anything in the first round except offensive line. yes i understand we have a pass rush problem, but honestly our D can amend for that somewhat -- it's not completely non-existant. our O-Line on the other hand, is absolutely an embarassing s**tty mess. f**k, go 3 OLine this draft with the top 3 picks. lock it up so it's not a problem for the next 6 years. if we combo and move up to get a QB im going to throw up

You don't want to spend a pick on a guard in the first or second round unless you are SURE they will be good.

Remember what McCloughan said? "Just look at the film, they don't do much. You can find guards."

So he takes two guards at the top of the second round.

And he's RIGHT, they don't do much.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Oct 18, 2009 at 3:31 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone