There are 331 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Interesting new take on Alex Smith

• Adman
  • Veteran
This comes from a really good article on the webzone homepage. Maiocco interviews a gentleman who's sole job is to watch nfl film. He gives a really good view of the current 49ers. This question was about if maybe Alex Smith would be a better QB for us this season....he says a lot of things that I've never heard of. Actually says Alex doesn't have great physical tools.

I know you haven't seen him play in two years, but is there where Alex Smith, because of his arm strength and the better physical tools, might be the better option at quarterback?
Cosell: "Well, I don't think Alex Smith has particularly good physical tools. Certainly, we know Shaun Hill has an average to below-average NFL arm. You're right, we haven't seen Alex Smith throw in two years, but the last time we did see him throw and even when he came out (of college), I'd say Alex Smith's arm strength was slightly better than average - nothing more. I'm always leery - I know he's a smart kid - but I don't know how much he's learned. I'm not there. When you play in the Urban Meyer offense, and I can tell you for a fact, that when Alex Smith went through his board work for teams coming out of the draft that he had zero clue about NFL route combinations, which is not surprising. Because in Urban Meyer's offense, nobody does. I'm not a big Alex Smith guy. I think he has limited skills and I think he's got limited understanding."

Here's the link to the article.
http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/10/filmophile-breaks-down-49ers.html
[ Edited by Adman on Oct 18, 2009 at 8:26 AM ]
"zero clue about NFL route combinations" is a little bit worrisome.

Well hes had almost 5 years.
Not a new take on Smith. Pretty much the same thing that has been said since he was drafted. It was up to Alex to prove the critics wrong.
  • Adman
  • Veteran
Yea but I've never heard anyone think that Alex has limited skills and limited understanding. Or limited physical abilities.

I wonder how he feels about Nate Davis.
I said it at the time, playing Alex in his first year was BY FAR Nolan's dumbest move.
Originally posted by jta854:
I said it at the time, playing Alex in his first year was BY FAR Nolan's dumbest move.
He didn't comment on anything new or profound. We all know Smith can make all the throws, only his accuracy is in question especially after the injury. He has enough speed to escape pressure or run it with the ball when it breaks down. He can throw on the run and connect with the WR.

As to the route combination comment. He was talking about what Smith knows in college 5 years ago All that means is he needs more teaching, but 5 different OC in as much years didn't help did it.
Originally posted by Adman:
Yea but I've never heard anyone think that Alex has limited skills and limited understanding. Or limited physical abilities.

I wonder how he feels about Nate Davis.

It was always understood his arm wasn't that great. His arm in the NFL was actually better than I expected. But neither him nor Rodgers were worthy number ones.

His stock raised on his accuracy in shorts plus his work ethic.

Then by calling Nolan sir, and his mom maam, well that made him the go to choice. Nolan found his Nolan guy QB. But no matter what, he was supposed to be a project QB. He was that QB who should have sat for years like Rodgers did, while Rodgers was ready to go.
We made a colossal mistake when we drafted him. We drafted a 5th round talent with the #1 overall pick. Urban Meyer didn't even try to con us. He told the NFL world he can't play in a pro style system.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
He didn't comment on anything new or profound. We all know Smith can make all the throws, only his accuracy is in question especially after the injury. He has enough speed to escape pressure or run it with the ball when it breaks down. He can throw on the run and connect with the WR.

As to the route combination comment. He was talking about what Smith knows in college 5 years ago All that means is he needs more teaching, but 5 different OC in as much years didn't help did it.

Yeah, nothing new to even comment about. And seeing Smith hasn't played a regular season game in two years I question the guy for even acting like he knows anything about Smith.
lol nothing new
Originally posted by Leathaface:
We made a colossal mistake when we drafted him. We drafted a 5th round talent with the #1 overall pick. Urban Meyer didn't even try to con us. He told the NFL world he can't play in a pro style system.

Urban Meyer never said any such thing.
Originally posted by jta854:

exactly you dont put a rookie Qb on a team with no talent look at freeman he has a better o line and WR than 05 niners and still sit him out
[ Edited by 49ersalldaway126 on Oct 18, 2009 at 8:57 AM ]
He needs to fix his accuracy.

That's all I see wrong.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Leathaface:

Urban Meyer never said any such thing.

Urban Meyer stated that Smith was non-functional until he had fully grasped the offense. He never said he couldn't play in a pro style offense.