There are 86 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is our upcoming schedule REALLY that tough?

Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
no doubt its a tough schedule, but there are some very winnable games. We are going to have to play our best football to win them, though, because we're obviously not good enough to half-ass our way through games.

What I'm saying is that its NOT a tought schedule. Those 7 teams have an average power rankings of about 19 -- not too impressive. Throw out the games vs. Chi and GB and the average power ranking is 22 (we're 15th).

I know, and I'm saying it IS a tough schedule. We're definitely not better than PHI or IND, and I don't think we're better than CHI or GB, and while I think we'll beat HOU it won't be a cakewalk. Add in playing on the road at SEA and a tough game against ARI and the majority of our games do not look easy at all. We can't take any of those games for granted, no matter what the power rankings are.

Again, we're improved, but we're not good enough to just go into those games thinking we should win.

But hopefully we will.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Is our upcoming schedule REALLY that tough? I don't think so. For the rest of the season, we play 7 mediocre, middle-of-the-pack teams that aren't any better than us -- a gaggle of potential first round playoff losers (I excluded the obviously good and bad teams -- Indy, Philly, Detroit, and St. Louis).

Houston, Tennessee, Chicago, Green Bay, Jacksonville, Seattle, and Arizona -- all beatable. Assuming we lose to the two really good teams (IND and PHI) and beat the really bad team (DET and STL) -- we're looking at 5-4 with a need to win 4 out of the 7 mediocre-on-mediocre matchups.

We've got 4 of the 7 at home, and one of the road matchups we're playing after a bye (we'll be rested, ready, and fired up). Arizona comes to SF a week after a (likely) draining game against the Vikings. Green Bay Plays Dallas the week before us.

Unlike many in niner nation right now, I'm upbeat because our schedule looks relatively soft.

Prediction: 9 or 10 wins, NFC West crown, #4 seed, and a 1st round matchup against whatever 12-win NFC East team finishes in second place.

The playoffs don't look bright (a thumpin' by the Eagles, most likely) -- but the regular season sure does.

Sure you can make it sound good on paper. But if we continue to only have 2 drives per game offensively. There's no way we win those 4 out of 7 games you are talking about. Also Detroit isn't as bad as you think.

Not too mention Arizona and Seattle basically have the same schedule as us. Except Arizona already have 2 tough games out of the way and we only have one. Just saying!
Originally posted by 49ers1fan1982:
no doubt its a tough schedule, but there are some very winnable games. We are going to have to play our best football to win them, though, because we're obviously not good enough to half-ass our way through games.

What I'm saying is that its NOT a tought schedule. Those 7 teams have an average power rankings of about 19 -- not too impressive. Throw out the games vs. Chi and GB and the average power ranking is 22 (we're 15th).

I know, and I'm saying it IS a tough schedule. We're definitely not better than PHI or IND, and I don't think we're better than CHI or GB, and while I think we'll beat HOU it won't be a cakewalk. Add in playing on the road at SEA and a tough game against ARI and the majority of our games do not look easy at all. We can't take any of those games for granted, no matter what the power rankings are.

Again, we're improved, but we're not good enough to just go into those games thinking we should win.

But hopefully we will.

well, for sure, and I agree with nick that we should win 9 games, maybe 10 if the chips fall right, but we should also be realistic that we have a very slim margin for error in most of our remaining games.
Originally posted by 49ers1fan1982:

But hopefully we will.

well, for sure, and I agree with nick that we should win 9 games, maybe 10 if the chips fall right, but we should also be realistic that we have a very slim margin for error in most of our remaining games.

I don't believe that we have had much of a margain of error since the beginning of the season.
Is our upcoming schedule REALLY that tough? I don't think so. For the rest of the season, we play 7 mediocre, middle-of-the-pack teams that aren't any better than us -- a gaggle of potential first round playoff losers (I excluded the obviously good and bad teams -- Indy, Philly, Detroit, and St. Louis).

Houston, Tennessee, Chicago, Green Bay, Jacksonville, Seattle, and Arizona -- all beatable. Assuming we lose to the two really good teams (IND and PHI) and beat the really bad team (DET and STL) -- we're looking at 5-4 with a need to win 4 out of the 7 mediocre-on-mediocre matchups.

We've got 4 of the 7 at home, and one of the road matchups we're playing after a bye (we'll be rested, ready, and fired up). Arizona comes to SF a week after a (likely) draining game against the Vikings. Green Bay Plays Dallas the week before us.

Unlike many in niner nation right now, I'm upbeat because our schedule looks relatively soft.

Prediction: 9 or 10 wins, NFC West crown, #4 seed, and a 1st round matchup against whatever 12-win NFC East team finishes in second place.

The playoffs don't look bright (a thumpin' by the Eagles, most likely) -- but the regular season sure does.

Yes. They are all NFL teams that aren't from Oakland or St Louis. Therefore it is tough. Not to mention they are teams with talented NFL players. That's not to say we wont win those games but it sure as hell wont be easy.
Originally posted by krizay:

Sure you can make it sound good on paper. But if we continue to only have 2 drives per game offensively. There's no way we win those 4 out of 7 games you are talking about. Also Detroit isn't as bad as you think.

Not too mention Arizona and Seattle basically have the same schedule as us. Except Arizona already have 2 tough games out of the way and we only have one. Just saying!

Actually, we each have two tough games left: SF vs. Indy & Philly, Ari vs. Minnesota and the Giants. And although Carolina isn't that goos this year (break for Arizona), they'll probably be "all-out" trying to make up for the embarrasing showing last January. Arizona also has to play SEA 2x, where we only play them once.
Originally posted by Gavintech:

Yes. They are all NFL teams that aren't from Oakland or St Louis. Therefore it is tough. Not to mention they are teams with talented NFL players. That's not to say we wont win those games but it sure as hell wont be easy.

My whole point is that we have two really hard games, two easy games, and seven games against teams hovered around the middle quintile of the league in performance -- right where we're at as well.

Its a strange year as far as parity goes: there are a few elite teams (Colts, Giants, Eagles, Vikings, Saints, Steelers, Ravens), a lot of really bad teams (Rams, Bucs, Lions, Skins, Chiefs, Raiders, Browns, Bills), and about 1/2 of the league consists of bubble playoff teams (I can't call Tennessee and Carolina bad teams, although there is little to no chance either make the playoffs).

The gap between the best bubble teams (Denver, San Diego, Pats, Jets, Atlanta) and the worst bubble teams (Miami, Seattle, Arizona, the Niners, the Cowboys) is very narrow.

Outside of the top and bottom of the league, you have a ton of parity in the middle.

Expect a wild December playoff run!
Then it looks like we should get somewhere around 9 wins. If we win the west I will be happy and think that is has been a good year for us. We still have some work to do on the talent but this next game will show us whether we are the team that showed up for Atalanta or the team that showed up for Minnesota. If we are the Minnesota almost winning team we should do well. If we are really the wreck that showed up for the Atlanta game we will have a very disappointing year.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Then it looks like we should get somewhere around 9 wins. If we win the west I will be happy and think that is has been a good year for us. We still have some work to do on the talent but this next game will show us whether we are the team that showed up for Atalanta or the team that showed up for Minnesota. If we are the Minnesota almost winning team we should do well. If we are really the wreck that showed up for the Atlanta game we will have a very disappointing year.

I agree wholeheartedly

GREAT POST! we do not have that tough of a schedule and we will win 9-10 games and win the west! Finally some positivity
the way this offensive line is playing?

yes

Prediction: [b]9 or 10 wins, NFC West crown, #4 seed, and a 1st round matchup against whatever 12-win NFC East team finishes in second place. [/b]The playoffs don't look bright (a thumpin' by the Eagles, most likely) -- but the regular season sure does.

I don't know what games you have been watching my friend. I like the optimism but I am more of a realist. I don't like to sugar coat things, if need not be. With a 30th ranked offense and dropping (Can't go that much lower lol) and a defense that is beginning to tire as last year, 9-10 wins might be tough.

Look at the schedule and HONESTLY without rose colored glasses and tell me the games we should win:

Texans: Maybe
Colts: Doubt it
Titans: Pick em, bad record but who knows
Bears: Not sure
Packers: Tough one
Jaguars: Pick-em
Seahawks: playing better with healthy Hassleback back in action, tough game
Cardinals: tough game, one we almost lost week 1. Had AZ intercepted that duck...
Eagles: Very tough
Lions: Should win this one
Rams: Should win this one

Everygame is tough to win every week. You can never count out an NFL team, ok, maybe the Rams this year but these are men and like they say, any given Sunday. Our offense is too weak for me to predict any wins...except maybe the Lambs. Our D is why we are 3-2, could very well be worse.